Please support Links Corner    

Golfer: I'd move heaven and earth to be able to break 100 on this course.
Caddy: Try heaven. You've already moved most of the earth.
APCD.....course designers nightmareGoto page 1, 2  Next View older topic :: View newer topic  
sagevanni

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: APCD.....course designers nightmare Reply with quote

I have worked with many programs over the years but APCD has got to be the buggiest most aggravating program I have ever worked with. I know, it's old. I REALLY enjoy making courses.....!!!! Things seem to get messed up on almost a daily basis. One thing or another screws up. Can't un-assign top views......This results in a totally new reinstall of APCD. Then everything in your course is messed up. Have to spend days redoing properties for all new imported objects......I could go on and on. So now All my courses I work on are messed up in some way or the other. I will continue to struggle on........Peace
Sage

grandpabruce

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: APCD.....course designers nightmare Reply with quote

Thank you for your efforts to keep this game alive. I really appreciate the efforts of all of you designers.

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971
sagevanni

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: APCD.....course designers nightmare Reply with quote

I am about to give up......"SHADOWS" on grass will not go away......!!!!!! Very pissed off........did a reinstall.....but no go......maybe wipe everything to do with links and APCD.........Maybe...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sage

Jimbo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: APCD.....course designers nightmare Reply with quote

Sage, I've said it before....you have been a major addition to our group. On behalf of the consumers who love your work, keep the faith! Clap

braden1308

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:32 am    Post subject: APCD.....course designers nightmare Reply with quote

Like I said in your other post if you are running windows 10 then shadows are something that can get out of hand , I had to completely strip a course from one apcd install and then load it in the install I do my work from. I did a new reinstall of the apcd, loaded a planted course then stripped the grasses with shadows. I then created a new planting set and the shadows were back, how I donít know or understand but there they were.
So I stripped the objects from the course then went through the process of reinstalling the apcd to make sure the unwanted shadows came back.

sagevanni

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: APCD.....course designers nightmare Reply with quote

I have gone through some of the threads here on the forum about shadows and I see NO SOLUTIONS for shadow problems......so for right now I am not going to worry about them. When and if I get a new comp, I will start from scratch and see what happens. My fear is that any course data that has problems with shadows will continue to have those problems no matter what. Anyway, I will trudge on and keep fighting. I work with intel integrated graphics so I never see shadows anyway....!!!!! but I will with my new comp, it's gonna have dedicated graphics so I will be able to see how sh****y a course looks with messed up shadows. Peace

braden1308

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: APCD.....course designers nightmare Reply with quote

Top views contribute to shadows.......http://linkscorner.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34059

My internet is acting buggy today and it is starting to get on my nerves

sagevanni

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: APCD.....course designers nightmare Reply with quote

My problem is un-assigning top views from objects. It seems a total re-install is in order and a new planting set to fix the problem. I have done that and still the shadows appear....I am running windows 7 but with my new comp, no doubt the problem will persist.....as evidenced by your own post Glenn. Like I said I will deal with it. If others are consistently having this problem as it seems by all the post about problems with shadows, it is something everyone eventually has to deal with.

Glenn, Can you answer this one question....When you have done a complete re-install and made a completely new planting set, and you open a course that had shadow problems, Has the shadow problem been solved by the re-install and new planting set.......cause it did not work for me....????

Sage

sagevanni

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: APCD.....course designers nightmare Reply with quote

Also.......it's a pain in the ass for me cause I have to send my course to someone who has a graphics card that will show shadows.......I have crappy intel integrated graphics and can not see shadows.

braden1308

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: APCD.....course designers nightmare Reply with quote

sagevanni wrote:
My problem is un-assigning top views from objects. It seems a total re-install is in order and a new planting set to fix the problem. I have done that and still the shadows appear....I am running windows 7 but with my new comp, no doubt the problem will persist.....as evidenced by your own post Glenn. Like I said I will deal with it. If others are consistently having this problem as it seems by all the post about problems with shadows, it is something everyone eventually has to deal with.

Glenn, Can you answer this one question....When you have done a complete re-install and made a completely new planting set, and you open a course that had shadow problems, Has the shadow problem been solved by the re-install and new planting set.......cause it did not work for me....????

Sage

Sage what you would have to do and what I have had to do is strip the course of all it's planted objects before you uninstall then after the reinstall create a new planting set and then replant the course. I could find no other solution.

Even before Windows 10 if you did an APCD reinstall your planting sets would not work properly if you use custom objects, when the planting set looks for that object in the object library it has to match up with it's previous naming........tree01....tree01, tree02....tree02 and so on. If they don't it will cause your planting sets to do some unusual things.

I am pretty sure I exhausted all options before I went to the extreme of stripping courses then reinstalling the APCD, creating a new planting set and then opening the clean course file and replanting. For whatever reason if I opened a course file that had top views on the grasses they polluted the library with top views (which should not have happened but it did), I had tried doing away with top views, making a new planting set and selecting all objects of the same type, replacing them with the new ones and what happened....the top views came back. Drove me up a wall!

That's when I ended up stripping the course and the did a APCD reinstall and then replanted the course, it was the only way I had found to keep the top views from coming back.

sagevanni

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: APCD.....course designers nightmare Reply with quote

Thanks Glenn.......Your explanation this time is what I was looking for. You explained very well and in what order to do things.....Thank you.....NOW for the real pain in the ass that will take a lot of time......stripping my courses and saving them stripped and doing a re-install and making a all new planting set and trying to make sure I never have grasses, flowers, or ANYTHING but trees having shadows. Thanks again......

braden1308

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: APCD.....course designers nightmare Reply with quote

I do hope that helps, it is a real pain in the rear but I had found no other option

derricksummers

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: APCD.....course designers nightmare Reply with quote

Dunno I would be interested to hear how you went about creating a New Planting Set. The videos Lez did only explained how to add new objects to an exsisting set, or have I missed something.
I have found that you have to Re-name the Old Object lib file before you create a new one, as the New one will create its own Lib file.
Once I have clicked on New I then import the objects I want and when finished save it as a Set. The problem is that you wont have the 3D Objects in your new set that were in the original.
Any thoughts or info on creating a completly new set would be very welcome. I slipped up and saved the set into Links Courses,it works fine but once its saved it must remain in that location, you cant move it or the display just goes blank.
I cant help with the shadow problem as I play the courses with no shadows selected, no sound on, no people or tournament objects. Just a nice quite round of golf on a course that displays a nice clean uncluttered layout.
Some time ago I lost everything when my computer blew up, it went bang and smoke came out of the box, The hard drive was history, I thought I had things backed up on a little portable hard drive called Click Free but for some unknown reason it had not saved any CRZ Files, so I lost all my courses and APCD items.
I can understand how Sage feels about giving up,but ( PLEASE ) keep going
Derrick

braden1308

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: APCD.....course designers nightmare Reply with quote

Hi Derrick,

When you make a new planting set you select new then save as (pick somewhere you can find it easily), I always name mine after the course it belongs to. Then go about adding your objects and save as you go. When you change courses to plant go to the object library, select your planting set and it will be there for your use.

sagevanni

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Me too...... Reply with quote

Derrick quote......

"I cant help with the shadow problem as I play the courses with no shadows selected, no sound on, no people or tournament objects. Just a nice quite round of golf on a course that displays a nice clean uncluttered layout."

Me too...............Sage......No shadows cause my intel graphics won't allow them.

derricksummers

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: APCD.....course designers nightmare Reply with quote

Dunno Glen, Thats how I do it but by creating a new set there are no 3D objects.
I notice that you do not alter the name of the Original Object Lib file. By doing this the new set creates its own Lib file, and with your method it does not but it puts a folder in the Object File.
Both methods seam to work O.K, ???
Sage . the computer I am using is an old Dell model running XP so it will only take a limited amount of memory, The Graphics card is a Radion Type and I have no problems with shadows if I want to use them.
When my computer went bust I got one running windows 8 ??? and I could not get rid of it fast enough
I put a new hard drive in the old one , purchased a dell XP disk for £80 and added the maximum memory XP allowed.
XP runs all my older programs with no problems so I will stick with it for as long as possible. Its much simpler to use than the new operating systems.
Derrick

braden1308

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:18 am    Post subject: APCD.....course designers nightmare Reply with quote

derricksummers wrote:
Dunno Glen, Thats how I do it but by creating a new set there are no 3D objects.
I notice that you do not alter the name of the Original Object Lib file. By doing this the new set creates its own Lib file, and with your method it does not but it puts a folder in the Object File.
Both methods seam to work O.K, ???

Derrick

Hi Derrick, not sure what you mean when you say there are no 3D objects. They are there and available for use with every new planting set I make. The way I do it you are creating a new planting set but the object library always stays the same, 2D and 3D. The only thing you need to do is when you save as make sure your .pst file is somewhere you can easily find it.

I also don't understand why you would alter the name of the original Object Lib file, I don't like to mess with renaming files, especially for objects. I don't see the need to do that. Is there some reason you do that?

derricksummers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: APCD.....course designers nightmare Reply with quote

Dunno Glen. The reason I change the name of the original Object File is because thats what Lez said in his video.
If I do not alter it when I try to give an imported object a new catogory it wont let me give it a name ,it stays on Default
I have tried your way and there are still no 3D Objects or People in the display screen.
My planting set works perfect with all the 2D objects imported. so I am at a bit of a loss as to why no 3Ds show up.
I could just do as Lez says, and add new objects under a different name to the exsisting set, but I wanted a clean start
Derrick

braden1308

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: APCD.....course designers nightmare Reply with quote

Derrick no ripping on Lez but I have always felt that he over complicates things. It's possible that since you have started renaming things they will no longer work properly which is why your objects in the library are not there.

I have never watched any of Lez's videos and truthfully was never even curious as to what he was teaching but you are the third person who has done things from his videos that made things harder than needed.

When you create a new object type you should be able to give it a name, when you make a new planting set you "save as" first then you can start importing your objects for the set from your object types. Everything should always be there and available for use for every planting set you make.

If I remember correctly and I may be wrong Lez said he uses a different version of the APCD for each course he made so what he did would be a one time use and no more. I believe when you start renaming files in the APCD you are messing with a buggy, delicate program and that is possibly why things are not working properly for you with 3D or crowds.

However you work on your courses and use the program is always your decision, I only work from from the same install until it gets to the point where I need to reinstall the program.

derricksummers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: APCD.....course designers nightmare Reply with quote

Not Worthy Glen.I have used your method as follows
1. Object Library. 2. File - then New. 3. File - then Save as. 4 Name it and Save. 5. File - and Import from course. 6. Exit and save.
Just to clear up what I am after doing - The exsisting planting sets are a mixed up mess of objects, and what I want is to have objects in a catogory named after the object in it. I dont want Grass under the heading of trees.
I also just want the type of object that I want and that I will be using, and not hundreds of unwanted objects.that have to be scrolled through to find something.
Now to the problem with your method. Before I import it I want to put it in a catogory with a name that suits the object etc. So I select New Type and give it a name. Below is what happens

When I press O.K it wont accept the new catogory name, it stays on default

and the display is just blank

The only way I can get it to accept the new name is to Re-name the original Object Lib file before I start, apart from altering this I am not changing anything else.
My planting set works fine with no problems except that there are no 3Ds on display in it
Like I said even with your method no 3Ds show up, maybe if I loaded in one of the original planting sets I could just use the 3D items and then go back to my set to continue
Would you check my procedure and see if I am missing anything.and thanks for the replies.
I have found some useful tips in Lezs videos but most of the time he goes way over my head with his knowledge of the APCD.
Derrick

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Designers Corner All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Swing hard in case you hit it. - Dan Marino