Please support Links Corner    

Want to play Links again but lost your CDs? Buy Links 2003 download version here and support this site.
Error: Only power of 2 textures View older topic :: View newer topic  
Ian wells

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Error: Only power of 2 textures Reply with quote

While completing Wade Hampton I have encountered the following error message when playing some holes:

The message is intermittent and I cannot repeat the scenario where it does occur. I have looked on the Forum for a solution but the only othe post I can find had no replies - not promising.

I have checked again that all my textures are 1024x1024, - if they weren't so, I would not have been able to load them.

I will continue to try and find the reason for the error, but has anybody got an answer?

Thanks for your time.

Ian

JWGriffinGCA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:53 am    Post subject: Error: Only power of 2 textures Reply with quote

Keep in mind that textures don't have to be square (like 1024 x 1024) but they do have to be powers of 2. 64 x 512 would be OK, for example. But APCD shouldn't let you load a texture that didn't meet this requirement.

Does the .tga referenced in the error message have any significance to your course? I kinda doubt it but wanted to point it out.

APCD will allow textures up to 4096 x 4096 but Links 1.07 cannot render anything greater than 1024 x 1024. Usually Links would crash upon opening the course if you have a texture larger than 1024 x 1024 - don't know if that's true if you had something like 512 x 2048, or if Links would crash more intermittently?

Same error here but no sure solution posted...

http://linkscorner.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33183&highlight=power++texture+error

http://linkscorner.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33403&highlight=power++texture+error

John

When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me! -Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz
Ian wells

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Error: Only power of 2 textures Reply with quote

John, thanks for your thoughts.
The TGA referenced is not one that I have named, I assume it is a reference generated by the APCD software. I will look at the TGA reference the next time it crashes and see if it is the same. (I don't know if the software reference is generated when you allocate it in APCD or when you validate, if it is the latter then it will never be the same.)

I have started to use a new hole to test each texture and seam one by one which is not the most interesting work. Wall Bash Wall Bash

Thanks again for your reply.
Ian

Stephen Sullivan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Error: Only power of 2 textures Reply with quote

Did you use a photographic overhead to make the course?

If so, is it possible a part of it is still showing?

I am sure this might cause the issue.

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." Sir Terry Pratchett
Ian wells

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Error: Only power of 2 textures Reply with quote

Stephen,
Thanks for the reply.
There was indeed some small part of the overhead that hadn't been removed by new textures. One must remember that the course worked fine with the texture, however after I changed the texture of the overhead to Rough_2003, I re-validated but the outcome was the same.
I will continue to try and find a solution, but this may finally be the death knell of Wade Hampton.
Thanks again for your help.
Ian

Danny D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:25 am    Post subject: Error: Only power of 2 textures Reply with quote

Ian wells wrote:
Stephen,
Thanks for the reply.
There was indeed some small part of the overhead that hadn't been removed by new textures. One must remember that the course worked fine with the texture, however after I changed the texture of the overhead to Rough_2003, I re-validated but the outcome was the same.
I will continue to try and find a solution, but this may finally be the death knell of Wade Hampton.
Thanks again for your help.
Ian
Hi Ian...
I know you've been working with the APCD much longer than me, but I have a question. What method do you use to locate every part of the overhead texture on the plot when you are done using it?

Dan

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
Acrilix

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Error: Only power of 2 textures Reply with quote

(My quote button doesn't seem to work here now).

I did cover swapping out any missed overhead textures in my APCD video 25 at 10:10. It is very easy to miss slivers of texture caused by rogue verts created with the texture painting method.

However, reading the links posted by John above, Ian Wells' problem could be an issue with an Intel graphics chip as he posted in one of those threads himself.

Mod 1.07 - Pro powerstroke - No top cam - No grid
APCD Designer - Margaret's Bay, Ackerton Cross, The Dustin Trophy Par 3 Challenge, Battley Peak, Anakena Beach, Mowsbury GC, Darwin Point, Elsham Woods,
Yarlswood Golf Club, Fairview GC, Upham Hall Golf Club, Masson Moor, Zeitsbergen
Ian wells

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Error: Only power of 2 textures Reply with quote

Danny and Lez,
Thanks for the reply's.
I changed the overhead as per the instructions on the APCD video but the outcome is the same. (The overhead I used was 1024x1024 because of this problem and as stated previously the course played correctly including the overhead slivers.)
Prior to starting the "finishing touches" to each hole the course played ok with an occasional error. Now the error is more prevalent - I have completed the first four holes only and I can't complete playing these holes without a crash.
I will attempt to change all the textures to standard 2003 textures and see if this solves the problem.

Thanks again for your time.
Ian

Acrilix

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Error: Only power of 2 textures Reply with quote

The easiest way to determine if the problem is course based or graphics card based would be to send the crashing course to someone else to test.
Are you using intel graphics?

APCD Designer - Margaret's Bay, Ackerton Cross, The Dustin Trophy Par 3 Challenge, Battley Peak, Anakena Beach, Mowsbury GC, Darwin Point, Elsham Woods,
Yarlswood Golf Club, Fairview GC, Upham Hall Golf Club, Masson Moor, Zeitsbergen
Ian wells

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Error: Only power of 2 textures Reply with quote

I am using Intel graphic, but I am fairly sure that when I loaded the course on a laptop with AMD chips (for screen shots), the same happened. Unfortunately I do not have the AMD laptop with me as I am away from home.
If you are willing to take a look at it I will make it available for you via dropbox if you send me via a PM your email address.

Irrespective of that, thanks for your reply.

I&an

Acrilix

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Error: Only power of 2 textures Reply with quote

Ian, I deleted Links and APCD a long time ago and so can't currently test or work on anything Links related. I'm sure someone here will be willing to test it though.
Integrated graphics chips have always given people problems with Links 2003 so you definitely want to eliminate this as a potential cause or you could end up wasting a lot of time in APCD for nothing.

Ian wells

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Error: Only power of 2 textures Reply with quote

Lez,

Thanks for your advice. I hope you continue to take some interest in this site so that we may take advantage of your APCD knowledge.

Ian

Stephen Sullivan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Error: Only power of 2 textures Reply with quote

Hi Ian

Send it to me via Dropbox and I will take a look. No Intel gpu here Thumb Up

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." Sir Terry Pratchett
Ian wells

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Error: Only power of 2 textures Reply with quote

Stephen,
Send me a PM with your email.
Ian

Danny D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Error: Only power of 2 textures Reply with quote

Ian wells wrote:
While completing Wade Hampton I have encountered the following error message when playing some holes:

The message is intermittent and I cannot repeat the scenario where it does occur. I have looked on the Forum for a solution but the only othe post I can find had no replies - not promising.

I have checked again that all my textures are 1024x1024, - if they weren't so, I would not have been able to load them.

I will continue to try and find the reason for the error, but has anybody got an answer?

Thanks for your time.

Ian
Hi Ian...

I took your course for trial run tonight and breezed thru it without a single hiccup. I am going to play a few more rounds on it with GrandpaBruce in a couple more days and let you know if we have any problems. Most likely we'll be able to let you know more sometime in the middle of next week. I like it!. Nice challenging layout you have there. It's a pretty nice course and will be be a welcome addition to my collection, if you can get it completed.

I'll open it up soon in the APCD and look it over and let you know if I find anything. Keep up the good work. Thumb Up

Dan

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
Ian wells

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Error: Only power of 2 textures Reply with quote

Dan,
Thanks for the update.

Stephen also played the course, and had no problems.

I will return to completing the course.

Enjoy your rounds with Grandpa Bruce and please let me know if you find any issues or you have any suggestions.

Thanks again.

Ian

Danny D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Error: Only power of 2 textures Reply with quote

Ian wells wrote:
Dan,
Thanks for the update.

Stephen also played the course, and had no problems.

I will return to completing the course.

Enjoy your rounds with Grandpa Bruce and please let me know if you find any issues or you have any suggestions.

Thanks again.

Ian
You're welcome Ian. I forgot to mention, for the record, I play on a desktop computer with an ASUS Striker II Formula mobo, and an NVIDIA GTX-670 video card using Windows XP. Full shadows enabled at 1920x1200 resolution. No Intel video or integrated graphics of any kind.

Dan

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Designers Corner All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Want to play Links again but lost your CDs? Buy Links 2003 download version here and support this site.