Please support Links Corner    

By the time a man can afford to lose a golf ball, he can't hit it that far. ~ Lewis Grizzard
Questions on Splash Screens... View older topic :: View newer topic  
Danny D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:17 am    Post subject: Questions on Splash Screens... Reply with quote

Another APCD question regarding the splash screens.

The instructions say splash screens are supposed to be 1280x1024, which is not a wide screen format. I notice that if I create one in that size, Links will stretch it out and distort it if you are using a wide screen monitor.

The only solution I know to solve that would be to create the splash screen in a 1920x1200 wide screen format, and then save it in the narrow 1280x1024 format before loading it into the course. I would think that should then stretch it out so it would look normal on wide screen monitors.

Questions...

Am I missing anything? Is there a better way to do this?

If I went with that method, then anyone using a standard narrow monitor would see it as all scrunched up. Wouldn't it be safe to assume that the wide screen era is pretty much here to stay and that 99% of Links players these days use a wide screen monitor?

If anyone has any opinions on this I'd be interested in hearing them.

Thanks,

Dan

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
Duck Hook

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Questions on Splash Screens... Reply with quote

Yeah, that's pretty much all I do.
The monitor I use for links and the apcd is 1920 x 1080 so I just create the splash at that resolution and just shrink it down to 1280 x 1024.
Obviously it looks fine on my display but how much it distorts at other resolutions I have no idea and have to say until you mentioned it never really gave it a thought.
You wouldn't notice it so much on the various wide screen settings I suppose but yes it will be scrunched up at the narrower settings.
You would have to think that no-one is still playing links at those settings though, surely.

JWGriffinGCA

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Questions on Splash Screens... Reply with quote

Try it, Dan - see if it works. I think most folks are using some sort of widescreen display these days so I'd vote for something that looks better for widescreens than for legacy aspect ratios.

John

When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me! -Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz
Daniel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Questions on Splash Screens... Reply with quote

I have a 27 inch screen 1900x1200 I play the game in that resolution and all splash screens look fine to me unless someone as taken the splash screen from an 800x600 picture then it would be stretched out even before they loaded the picture to the splash screen having saved it from 800x600 to 1280 x 1024.I find it best to get a very large picture even 3000x 1500 then shrink it down 1280 x 1024 that way it looks very sharp in photoshop.Then upload that it will look fine.

Danny D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:28 am    Post subject: Questions on Splash Screens... Reply with quote

Thanks guys...

It would appear that there is no possible way to make the splash screen look right on everyone's monitors, because everyone doesn't use the same resolution.

For a few examples, Daniel uses 1900x1200, I use 1920x1200, Duckhook uses 1920x1080 and I'm sure there are a lot of odd sized monitors out there not to mention some of the laptop screen resolutions. The only thing I can think of would be to try and decide which is the most common size and go with that. If I made a guess, I would say the most common is probably 1920x1080.

(long pause)

I just did a Google search and Google says the most common resolution these days is 1366x768 with an aspect ration of 16:9. That is the same ratio as 1920x1080, so I suppose creating the splash screen at 1920x1080 and then reducing the completed splash picture down to 1280x1024 will look right on most computers that use a 16:9 ratio.

I suppose that will be my plan. Thanks for the thoughts and input gents. Cheers

Dan

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
Danny D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:13 am    Post subject: More Information on Splash Screens... Reply with quote

Hi group...

I just made a very interesting discovery while creating a splash screen. It appears that we don't have to abide by the 1280x1024 size recommended by the APCD. Roll Eyes

Here's what I learned thru experimentation...

I tried to add a 1920x1080 splash screen to the APCD to see what would happen. APCD gave me a warning message that I could NOT use anything larger than 1280x1024. However, it didn't warn me anything about aspect ratios, so I took it literally at its words and I resized the 1920x1080 splash to 1280x720, maintaining the same widescreen resolution and ratio, but keeping the maximum size within the 1280 pixel limits of the APCD. I then loaded it into the APCD and BINGO, the APCD accepted it. Next I tested it in the game and it came out perfect.

So it looks like we can use the 1280x720 wide screen format with a 16:9 aspect ratio without having to resize it to 1280x1024, providing we don't go above the maximum 1280 pixel limit set by the APCD.

So I will create my splash screens at 1920x1080 (16:9) and then reduce them to 1280x720 (16:9) before loading them into the APCD. Yes

Figured you guys would find this tip interesting for the future...

Dan

Danny D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Questions on Splash Screens... Reply with quote

Daniel wrote:
I have a 27 inch screen 1900x1200 I play the game in that resolution and all splash screens look fine to me unless someone as taken the splash screen from an 800x600 picture then it would be stretched out even before they loaded the picture to the splash screen having saved it from 800x600 to 1280 x 1024.I find it best to get a very large picture even 3000x 1500 then shrink it down 1280 x 1024 that way it looks very sharp in photoshop.Then upload that it will look fine.
Hi Daniel. Do you run Links in wide screen resolution on your 27 inch monitor? What resolution is Links using in the game?

Dan

Daniel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Questions on Splash Screens... Reply with quote

I run the game at 1920x1200 as seen in the picture.Not 1900x1200 as I said earlier my mistake.

JWGriffinGCA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Questions on Splash Screens... Reply with quote

Hi Dan - good info, thanks for experimenting and reporting back! Good to know that aspect can be preserved as long as max width is no more than 1280. 1280x720 seems to be a pretty good solution.

FWIW, I also use 1920x1200.

John

When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me! -Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz
View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Designers Corner All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Want to play Links again but lost your CDs? Buy Links 2003 download version here and support this site.