Please support Links Corner    

Is my good friend in the rough, or is the b*&#*$d on the green? - James Bond
The Most Beautiful Views View older topic :: View newer topic  
Gtown75

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: The Most Beautiful Views Reply with quote

I was playing the other morning and this view (see below) made my day. I don't know which skies I have, so I can't tell you which one it is. But the sun was rising (or setting)? over hole 6 on Bay Hill and I thought it was a beautiful view.

Any other beautiful views to share?

grandpabruce

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: The Most Beautiful Views Reply with quote

That is impressive, except the player's shadow sure does not correspond to the location of the sun.

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971
sagevanni

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: The Most Beautiful Views Reply with quote

That is one thing in Links.....the sun is always from 1 direction.

Max64

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: The Most Beautiful Views Reply with quote

grandpabruce wrote:
That is impressive, except the player's shadow sure does not correspond to the location of the sun.

The golfer shadow also doesn't correspond to the tree shadows. The sun would need to be in 2 completely different places to cast the shadow of the golfer and where the tree shadows fall.

One reason I enjoy Links 2000 so much, the shadows are far more believable and look so much better. I find the most realistic way to play Links in either Links version is with overcast sky. It makes the lighting appear the closest to natural. You may argue if it's overcast there should be no shadows but I counter-argue you can always assume there is a small break in the clouds somewhere letting the sunlight through.

Daniel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: The Most Beautiful Views Reply with quote

That is exactly the way I play Links Max64.

Max64

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:48 am    Post subject: The Most Beautiful Views Reply with quote

Your screenshot is a perfect example Daniel. You can't fault the shadows or lighting on the course. I think the course textures fit with the overcast sky and the golfer shadow can be assumed is coming from a break in the clouds from behind and to the right of the golfer. Everything is completely natural.

Jimbo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Glen Abbey #11 is always my favourite-enjoy it while it lasts! Reply with quote

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Want to play Links again but lost your CDs? Buy Links 2003 download version here and support this site.