Please support Links Corner    

These damn Axis weapons don't work! - Sgt Sneaky Bastage AKA Axe R.I.P.
Mountain View/Wade Hampton statusGoto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next View older topic :: View newer topic  
Ian wells

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Mountain View/Wade Hampton status Reply with quote

Bradon,
Thanks for your comments. I'm afraid I can't take the plaudits regarding those features as the majority of textures are by McCoist and the planting is by mother nature with the help of Tom Fazio. I can only lay claim to all the faults.

Pete, I fully understood your first sentence "less than 2 inches of elevation change between the hole and a point 3 feet away on at least 3 sides of the pin". However, when I look at the two graphics I am confused. (I am not a regular player of Links)Help

If you could clarify the requirement for me, Chair , and providing there is a consensus among the other players I will do everything in my power to ensure your requirements are met, during the final green check.

Ian

pmgolf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Mountain View/Wade Hampton status Reply with quote

Referring back to the pictures I posted, the yellow line indicates how much slope exists on the spot marked by the red/white pole. A tall yellow line, as shown in the top picture, has a lot of slope. The 1.07 version of Links would not work very well with that much slope.

The slope in the bottom picture is only halfway up the pole. That amount of slope works fine, and it's an easy way for the developer to check the suitability of the pin placement. 4 to 6 pins where the yellow line is not higher than that would be great.

I expect that the only person who would want to go to all the trouble of measuring the inches of slope for a pin setting would be someone setting up a tournament. Nowadays, many of those people seem to take the easy way out and just choose "All #3 pins" instead of looking at each pin's setting, but I'm kind of "old school" about that.

Thanks,
Pete

crjones

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Mountain View/Wade Hampton status Reply with quote

Looking just great.

You asked if the previews were too simple....Not from my POV. Professional looking, enough yardage information seems to be there.......what else could be wanted? So I think they are fine.

Colin

Danny D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject: Mountain View/Wade Hampton status Reply with quote

Ian wells wrote:
Gentlemen,
Thank you for your comments, they certainly provide an incentive to go forward and finish the course.

Thanks again for all your comments.

Ian
Hi Ian. I have sent you a PM...

Dan

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
Danny D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:01 am    Post subject: Mountain View/Wade Hampton status Reply with quote

Ian wells wrote:
Gentlemen,
Thank you for your comments, they certainly provide an incentive to go forward and finish the course.

Thanks again for all your comments.

Ian

Hi Ian…

I ran into 3 things while test-playing Wade Hampton.

1: I remember you mentioning to me that some of the texture properties were wrong and that you are in the process of fixing them. I found 1 in the outer surrounding treetop texture. Figured I’d mention it anyway, even though you probably already know. The “LIE ICON” in the treetop texture was showing as blacktop. I’m guessing you cloned the blacktop texture to create your treetop texture, and forgot to change the lie type.

2: Hole 10… Off to the side of the green I see a tree shadow that shows one side having a straight edge. I have found a couple of those on my course. The only way I could fix mine was to change the trees top view to a different one. I’m guessing it’s a bad, or corrupt, top view. Not sure.

3: Hole 11… While standing on the par 3 tee box, I noticed a glitch in something on the steps to the lower left. I chipped a shot down near it and took a closer look at it. Here is what I saw. It looks like the railing post is the culprit. However, I don’t know if this problem is caused by the post, or by my computer. I asked Bruce if he saw the same thing I did, but he indicated it looked ok to him. For the record, he and I both use desktop computers with NVIDIA GTX graphic cards, but his is newer than mine. Neither of us uses Integrated Graphics.

Hope this helps…

It’s going to be a fantastic course when you get it done. Bruce and I both really like it. Keep up the nice work!

Best wishes,

Dan

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
Ian wells

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Mountain View/Wade Hampton status Reply with quote

Dan,
Thank you for the time you have taken to play the course and for the comments made. (After living in isolation with the course for so long one loses any impartiality regarding the design. It is comforting, therefore, to know that the design is heading in the right direction.)

Regarding your comments:

1. The lie icon has been changed.

2. I would never have seen that in a million years! It highlights the benefits of having a second pair of eyes to check the design. The overhead used was "Maple02.top". This has been changed to "Maple01.top". (I am away from home and the laptop that shows shadows, so I am unable to check if it is better.)
Now I just have to find all the other trees that have that overhead allocated to it. Is there a shortcut?

3. There was indeed a glitch. Somehow the 2D object I had allocated to be the handrail supports had been changed, and I couldn't find the 2D object I had used. APCD works in mysterious ways.

Thanks again for your help, it's much appreciated. Thanks also to GranpaBruce for your time in playing the course.

Ian

Danny D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:24 am    Post subject: Mountain View/Wade Hampton status Reply with quote

Ian wells wrote:

2. I would never have seen that in a million years! It highlights the benefits of having a second pair of eyes to check the design. The overhead used was "Maple02.top". This has been changed to "Maple01.top". (I am away from home and the laptop that shows shadows, so I am unable to check if it is better.)
Now I just have to find all the other trees that have that overhead allocated to it. Is there a shortcut?

Ian

This became a puzzle to me, and eventually I stopped trying to pinpoint the exact cause for those straight edged shadows. I played with that for a long time, and after a while nothing made sense. Wall Bash .

It went away once just by changing to a different tree, and still using the same top view. And another time it went away by changing the top view. I also noticed that the same tree in a different location wouldn't always show up the straight edge. I also thought it might have been a sharp edge in the texture beneath the tree, however, it happened in an open space where there were no edges anywhere near the tree. I finally decided that I was only going to fix the ones I notice when I'm playing. Surrender

You might keep in mind, if you assign a different topview to a specific tree, it will change all trees with the same file number. So changing the tree (that will have a different topview) might be the simplest fix. I still don't know if it only occurs with certain files when you use only certain topviews. It finally blew my mind thinking about it, so I moved on and stopped worrying about it. Erm Dunno Whistle

Good luck, and you are more than welcome for the test.

Dan

Ian wells

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Mountain View/Wade Hampton status Reply with quote

The closer I get to completion the harder it becomes to complete. Is there such a thing as Stockholm syndrome with a golf course design?

In September I wrote
“The concluding actions are to make a final review of each hole and add the final touches, check the pin positions and preparing the hole preview.
After first starting this course in 2014, my goal is to complete the design by the end of year 2017.”

It all seemed so simple.

Unfortunately every time I looked at a hole I saw new “final touches”, and as each hole was “completed” I had to return to the previous holes to correct them with what I had found on the current hole. In other words I am behind schedule.

Finally the preview of hole 5.

Pete,
I have tried to provide 6 pins per hole that meet your criteria. I hope when the course is released as a Beta you will test them and let me know.

All comments welcomed.

Ian

pmgolf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Mountain View/Wade Hampton status Reply with quote

Yes I will test them! Looking forward to the release!

Pete

JWGriffinGCA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Mountain View/Wade Hampton status Reply with quote

Looking really good, Ian! Keep on dialing in those "final touches" - those seem to be the difference-makers between good & great.

Clap

John

When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me! -Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz
Max64

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject: Mountain View/Wade Hampton status Reply with quote

Looks really good Ian! Clap

Ian wells

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Mountain View/Wade Hampton status Reply with quote

Hole 6 preview. (I have added the handicap details, men in black, women red, and ask for your comments - is it necessary, should it be included, best position etc..)

Middle tee:

Green, playing from right hand side rough:

pmgolf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Mountain View/Wade Hampton status Reply with quote

Especially on par 3's, I like it when the tees are staggered a little. Pro tees on the left side of the their teeing area, Middle on the right side, Forward on the left side, etc.

It gives me the opportunity to give players a bit of a different look at the green when I'm setting up tournaments.

Pete

Ian wells

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Mountain View/Wade Hampton status Reply with quote

After what seems like an eternity Wade Hampton is back on track - as of 6 weeks ago.

Some will know that I had problems during my attempts to complete hole 7. (I think the problem was using corrupt imported 2D object(s), but I have no proof of this.)

100% of the 2D objects planted were deleted and the planting restarted from hole 1.

Screenshots of the newly planted holes 1 to 6 are shown below for your review. As always any comments are appreciated.

HOLE 1

HOLE 2

HOLE 3

HOLE 4

HOLE 5

HOLE 6

Thanks for your time.
Ian

pmgolf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Mountain View/Wade Hampton status Reply with quote

Looks good! I like the splashes of color from several trees, and I really like hole 6 - it's a beauty!

Pete

JWGriffinGCA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Mountain View/Wade Hampton status Reply with quote

Hi Ian - glad to hear you've gotten the issues sorted out and back on track. This one looks too good to not bring it home! Love the color scheme between the textures and planting, it all looks very realistic.

John

When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me! -Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz
mashie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Mountain View/Wade Hampton status Reply with quote

Like the textures used and the planting. Overall the course from these screenshots looks very realistic and impressive. Those of us still playing Links are lucky when any designer brings a real course to completion. Thank you for all your efforts.

Ian wells

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Mountain View/Wade Hampton status Reply with quote

HOLE 7 (Middle) TEE

HOLE 7 APPROACH

Ian

milwsteve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Mountain View/Wade Hampton status Reply with quote

Course looks really good Ian looking forward to playing it when it is released.

Ian wells

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Mountain View/Wade Hampton status Reply with quote

To Pete, John, Mashie and Steve, thanks for the appreciative comments. It helps.

HOLE 8 Tee (Back)

HOLE 8 Approach

Ian

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Preview Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

Golfer: Do you think I can get there with a 5-iron? Caddy: Eventually.