Please support Links Corner    

I will shoot my age if I have to live to be 105. - Bob Hope
Mountain View/Wade Hampton statusGoto page 1, 2, 3  Next View older topic :: View newer topic  
Ian wells

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Mountain View/Wade Hampton status Reply with quote

Back in December 2015 I started a thread introducing a new course called Mountain View. By the end of January 2016 I had reached hole 8. Shortly after revealing the hole my the file became corrupt and during the period when I was trying to find a suitable backup to continue the design, my laptop crashed.

The real name of the course was soon discovered as Wade Hampton, a beautiful course in North Carolina. I propose to request permission from the course to use the name when I issue the final format. Until then it will remain as Mountain View.

The current status of the new design is that all holes are detailed and all relative elevations have been added. All seam blends complete or hopefully complete. All 3D objects are constructed.

The concluding actions are to make a final review of each hole and add the final touches, check the pin positions and preparing the hole preview.

After first starting this course in 2014, my goal is to complete the design by the end of year 2017.

Here are the first two holes complete with the Hole Previews. Please give any comments that you feel , good or not. I realise that it is difficult to give comments on the course without playing the course, but the hole previews are basic, - too basic?

I look forward to all comments.

Captain Nemo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Mountain View/Wade Hampton status Reply with quote

Looks terrific Ian. Looking forward to the finished product.

Cheers, CN

How many Microsoft Programmers does it take to replace a light bulb? Just one.
However, you will be installing updates for all eternity!
grandpabruce

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Mountain View/Wade Hampton status Reply with quote

It looks beautiful!!!

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971
sagevanni

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Mountain View/Wade Hampton status Reply with quote

That is some AWESOME work.......!!!!!

pmgolf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Mountain View/Wade Hampton status Reply with quote

Nice!

Danny D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Mountain View/Wade Hampton status Reply with quote

Looks great, from what I see so far. Nice work Ian!

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
JWGriffinGCA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:47 am    Post subject: Mountain View/Wade Hampton status Reply with quote

Looks really good, Ian. Glad you persevered after all the computer issues you've been through!

By the way, while asking permission from the club to use the name is noble, it is not in the least bit necessary as long as you are not planning to profit financially by releasing the course. You have used information freely available in the public domain, using tools available in the public domain.

If it were an issue you can bet that Augusta National would have pursued legal action a long time ago - nobody else in the golf business is more protective than them!

John

When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me! -Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz
Ian wells

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:28 am    Post subject: Mountain View/Wade Hampton status Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

John, I will reconsider my intention to ask permission from the club.

Ian

Ian wells

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Mountain View/Wade Hampton status Reply with quote

The uploads of the holes are thanks to Stephen Sullivan. (I do not have a fully working Links with me.)

pmgolf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Mountain View/Wade Hampton status Reply with quote

I love the balance of your design. The flowers, the individual trees, cart paths, rocks, creeks - everything seems to fit together quite nicely! I hope too many pin placements aren't put on slopes so there will be a lot of position choices that can be used when setting up tournaments. The course looks like it'll be a real treasure!

Pete

JWGriffinGCA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Mountain View/Wade Hampton status Reply with quote

Looks great, Ian! I agree that everything matches nicely - great color palette that blends nicely between the textures and objects.

John

When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me! -Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz
noelk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:56 am    Post subject: Mountain View/Wade Hampton status Reply with quote

Agree with Pete & John, magnificent looking course Ian. Love the elevation changes too Thumb Up

"For where your treasure is, there will be your heart also."

www.linksanimasters.com
mashie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject: Mountain View/Wade Hampton status Reply with quote

http://www.golftripper.com/wade-hampton-golf-club/

Check out these pics from someone who played the course. Compare them the the Links rendition pictures posted here; amazingly accurate, just an outstanding recreation of the real course.

JDocBurns

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject: Mountain View/Wade Hampton status Reply with quote

very nice, very nice indeed

Jim(I'm a Happy & Lucky Man)Burns
www.broadjam.com/JimBurns
Ian wells

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Mountain View/Wade Hampton status Reply with quote

Gentlemen,
Thank you for your comments, they certainly provide an incentive to go forward and finish the course.

Pete, I am having some difficulty with the greens especially the third. I have made the elevations based on Google Earth, but after 4 attempts I feel that the green is unplayable. Therefore I have decided to have a final check of the greens at the end of this phase. If the greens don't play fairly with the elevations from Google Earth, I will adjust them so that they are playable. It would be wonderful if the greens had been surveyed by StrakaLine. (Each green will have 18 pin locations.)

Mashie, the photographs in the article by the Golf Tripper were the inspiration and starting point for me making the course.

Thanks again for all your comments.

Ian

pmgolf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Mountain View/Wade Hampton status Reply with quote

The guideline I use is "less than 2 inches of elevation change between the hole and a point 3 feet away on at least 3 sides of the pin", which will usually allow for speeds up to, and sometimes including, Fc Fc. I've also attached 2 pics of slope indicators, bad and acceptable.

Bad pin:

Acceptable pin:

All I ask is for 4 pins that meet that criteria. Six would be nice. And hopefully, these pins wouldn't be clustered together.

Most of the new courses I've seen meet this criteria, and I am very thankful to all APCD Developers for making their courses playable under all Links 1.07 conditions!

Pete.

Bluenoser

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Mountain View/Wade Hampton status Reply with quote

I'm curious where do you get your 2" guideline from?

Links - It's not about winning, it's about having fun!
braden1308

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Mountain View/Wade Hampton status Reply with quote

Nice looking course Ian, the textures look great and the planting is very well done. Thumb Up

pmgolf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Mountain View/Wade Hampton status Reply with quote

Bluenoser wrote:

Pretty much from real tournaments, and what I've come up with experimenting with Links. Seems to work with the faster speeds.

Pete

Bluenoser

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Mountain View/Wade Hampton status Reply with quote

pmgolf wrote:
Bluenoser wrote:

Pretty much from real tournaments, and what I've come up with experimenting with Links. Seems to work with the faster speeds.

Pete

Ok, thanks for that.

Last edited by Bluenoser on Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Links - It's not about winning, it's about having fun!
View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Course Corner All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

Talking to a golf ball won't do you any good. Unless you do it while your opponent is teeing off. - Bruce Lansky