Please support Links Corner    

Golfer: I'd move heaven and earth to be able to break 100 on this course.
Caddy: Try heaven. You've already moved most of the earth.
Quetzle Qooto TrailGoto page 1, 2  Next View older topic :: View newer topic  
sagevanni

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Quetzle Qooto Trail Reply with quote

The course that is giving me "HELL" with it's edges.

grandpabruce

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Quetzle Qooto Trail Reply with quote

It all looks good to me, except for that abnormal overhang on Hole 6.

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971
sagevanni

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Quetzle Qooto Trail Reply with quote

Thanks gramps........but I do think overhangs are quite natural...maybe I need to give it more detail.....

grandpabruce

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:25 am    Post subject: Quetzle Qooto Trail Reply with quote

It looks okay, except for those trees sticking out the side of it. That is what makes it unreal to me. It is a rock.

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
sagevanni

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Quetzle Qooto Trail Reply with quote

Hi gramps......will look into that and make changes as required.....

Sage

Captain Nemo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Quetzle Qooto Trail Reply with quote

Gramps is correct, those trees look out of place
However, some algae and a few cracks in the rock with a couple of weeds and shrubs would be realistic.

How many Microsoft Programmers does it take to replace a light bulb? Just one.
However, you will be installing updates for all eternity!
sagevanni

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Better Reply with quote

Better....???? Got all my edges fixed too.....

grandpabruce

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Quetzle Qooto Trail Reply with quote

It looks much better!

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Captain Nemo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Quetzle Qooto Trail Reply with quote

Wow! Fast redo and very nice look. Amazing stuff serge. :))

How many Microsoft Programmers does it take to replace a light bulb? Just one.
However, you will be installing updates for all eternity!
sagevanni

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject: Quetzle Qooto Trail Reply with quote

Thanks guys...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grandpabruce

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Quetzle Qooto Trail Reply with quote

If you get the seam blending down, your courses will be as good as, or better than any other courses out there.

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
sagevanni

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Quetzle Qooto Trail Reply with quote

Thanks Gramps.......That is high praise and it feels good. When I get my new computer I will be able to seam blend. I feel I have seam blending down pretty good but don't have the comp power to include in current courses. Looking forward to next year for that all to change. Thanks again for the props.....!!!!!!

Sage

Danny D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:10 am    Post subject: Quetzle Qooto Trail Reply with quote

sagevanni wrote:
Thanks Gramps.......That is high praise and it feels good. When I get my new computer I will be able to seam blend. I feel I have seam blending down pretty good but don't have the comp power to include in current courses. Looking forward to next year for that all to change. Thanks again for the props.....!!!!!!

Sage
Hi again Sage...
Just to make something clear for the record, as Glenn mentioned in a previous post, seam blending does NOT add that much additional load on your computer. To give you an example of what he meant, I have some saved files from my new course from BEFORE and AFTER seam blending. First I laid out the entire plot with 18 holes, ponds, woods, fairways, greens, bunkers etc... I also added additional edges around all areas for the purpose of seam blends. When I reached the point to where the seam blending was to start, I saved it. The file size at that point was 21.7mb.

Then I went ahead and did all of the seam blending over the entire plot, plus, I added all of the bunker lips, which are also seam blended. When that was complete, I saved a copy of the course again. The new file size AFTER the entire plot was completed is 23.8mb. So, as you can see here, seam blending a course and entire plot, only adds about 2mb to the file size. In my opinion, the end result is certainly worth the tiny 2mb of drive space and it doesn't put any additional resource drag on the APCD...

I would be glad to let you download and look at those 2 saved files that I kept, so you can see the before & after results for yourself.

Just something to keep in mind for the future... Thumb Up

Best wishes,

Dan

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
sagevanni

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Quetzle Qooto Trail Reply with quote

Hi Danny D.......No need to send files.....I just did my own test again, here are the results for just 1 hole, green fringe, fairway fringe and hole perimeter. Then just the perimeter of 3 combined holes as shown. These 4 seam blends alone upped my byte count by 12 megabytes from 40,318 to 52, 311. I believe my problem is my laptop with integrated graphics or it could be something else entirely.......at this point I don't know.....what I do know is that with seam blending my byte count grows exponentially.....So, I think a new comp with "dedicated graphics" is in order and next year I will be getting one........Till then no major seam blending for me.

JWGriffinGCA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Quetzle Qooto Trail Reply with quote

I haven't really played much with seam blends yet, certainly not to the extent to gauge their effect on file size. But could the file size increase be dependent on the base textures that are being combined for a seam blend texture? For instance, if you blend two 1024x1024 textures, does that result in a larger impact to file size than if seam blending two 256x256 textures?

John

When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me! -Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz
Danny D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:45 am    Post subject: Quetzle Qooto Trail Reply with quote

JWGriffinGCA wrote:
I haven't really played much with seam blends yet, certainly not to the extent to gauge their effect on file size. But could the file size increase be dependent on the base textures that are being combined for a seam blend texture? For instance, if you blend two 1024x1024 textures, does that result in a larger impact to file size than if seam blending two 256x256 textures?

John
Hi John...
From what I've come to understand, the file sizes grow mostly by introducing new textures. Here's what I know from working on my own new course. (I haven't really said much about it, but I started on a new course in May, and am just about to wrap it up in a week or so)

A single 1024x1024 texture adds approximately 3mb to the file size. All of my main textures are 1024x1024 and the seam blends are created by sharing those same 1024x1024 textures. These textures had already been introduced into the program size when I added them originally, so creating a new seam blend textures using these same textures, does NOT add to the file size.

For example, I go from woods to deep rough to rough to fwy & green fringes, and then from fringes to fairways & greens. So for one single hole I had to create 8 seam blend textures.

1 = Woods to deep rough
2 = deep rough to rough
3 = rough to fairway fringe
4 = fairway fringe to fairway
5 = rough to green fringe
6 = green fringe to green
7 = rough to bunker lip
8 = bunker lip to sand

Since every hole can share the same seam blend textures, all I had to add to the program was the above 8 seam blend textures. Of course there had to be separate paths & multiples created for each individual seam blend area on all 18 holes.

In doing everything I just mentioned above, my course only grew by 2.1mb. That's smaller than a single 1024x1024 texture, so I would have to say that the base textures being combined add virtually nothing to the overall file size. A minuscule amount perhaps, but only 2mb for my complete 18 hole course. If I had to guess, I would say that 2mb is probably data storage for all of the paths and multiples and seam blended textures.

Hope that helped. Cheers

Best wishes,

Dan

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
Danny D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:49 am    Post subject: Quetzle Qooto Trail Reply with quote

sagevanni wrote:
Hi Danny D.......No need to send files.....I just did my own test again, here are the results for just 1 hole, green fringe, fairway fringe and hole perimeter. Then just the perimeter of 3 combined holes as shown. These 4 seam blends alone upped my byte count by 12 megabytes from 40,318 to 52, 311. I believe my problem is my laptop with integrated graphics or it could be something else entirely.......at this point I don't know.....what I do know is that with seam blending my byte count grows exponentially.....So, I think a new comp with "dedicated graphics" is in order and next year I will be getting one........Till then no major seam blending for me.

Most curious about something Sage...

When you are doing seam blending, do you clone, or re-add already existing textures for each seam blend?

Dan

sagevanni

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Quetzle Qooto Trail Reply with quote

Hi Danny D........I use the blends that are already there from being added by other courses I have opened and the textures get added to my database. I have made a few of my own using the clone feature. Why...???

Sage

mashie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Quetzle Qooto Trail Reply with quote

Sage, I downloaded this course and Sewailo. Just a quick look and my thoughts. Your design for the holes are creative, interesting, and imaginative. I like all of the textures except the sand, just my personal preference. The only criticism I would make is the width of your fairways: they are all mostly very wide. I think it's ok to have a few wide fairways but with all of them being so generous there's not much of a challenge hitting them, not much need of rough. To make the courses more interesting I would make several of the fairways considerably more narrow.

sagevanni

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Quetzle Qooto Trail Reply with quote

Hi Mashie........Thanks for the input..!!!!!!!!!!!! Will look into that aspect....You still in Dallas...???? I am in Frankfurt Germany right now...(long story). I grew up in Salinas California and moved to Round Rock Texas in 1999. LOVED it there...!!!!!! Some of the nicest people around. And the best Tex Mex food around.....!!!!!!!

Sage

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Course Corner All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Talking to a golf ball won't do you any good. Unless you do it while your opponent is teeing off. - Bruce Lansky