Please support Links Corner    

I'll always remember the day I broke ninety. I had a few beers in the clubhouse and was so excited I forgot to play the back nine. -Bruce Lansky
Can't get new install from disc to run on Win10 View older topic :: View newer topic  
stancomputergolfer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Can't get new install from disc to run on Win10 Reply with quote

I have been playing Links 1.07 since Win10 was installed. Suddenly, it will not open. I tried re-installing the game from my discs, adding the Nvidia Patch, and the 1.07 patch. When I try to open it, I get a message to insert Disc1, and when I do, I get an error message saying Windows does not recognize the disc, although it just did to install the game.

Any ideas how I can get Links to open? Surrender

loner
Links Corner Admin
Links Corner Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Can't get new install from disc to run on Win10 Reply with quote

4th post down
The patch at gameworld.

http://linkscorner.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16472

Let us know how you do.

stancomputergolfer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Can't get new install from disc to run on Win10 Reply with quote

Great news, Loner! However, I'm an end-user. I see the fixes, but don't know what Archive File means. Can someone give me a step by step, please!

TIA! Unsure

Daniel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Can't get new install from disc to run on Win10 Reply with quote

I see this a lot from other players.Look and see if one of your drives as got a letter G if so it always, well nearly always ask you to insert the disc. All you do is go to the Administrative Tools in your control panel then computer management and Disc management and change the drive letter to one that is available.For some reason, the game thinks that the drive letter G is where your game has been installed so it can not find it.

stancomputergolfer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Can't get new install from disc to run on Win10 Reply with quote

I downloaded both files at http://m0004.gamecopyworld.com/games/pc_links_2003.shtml. I first tried with the original discs. When I tried to launch the game, I got the same error code..please insert Disc 1. So, instead I deleted the Rukshuk file, and replaced it with one I downloaded. No go.

I uninstalled Links, and installed the Download Version. Replaced the Rukshuk file and still no go.

I should note that both "archive files" I downloaded did not have a .exe after their name. I have no idea if that makes a difference or not.

Any other ideas?

gator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject: Rukshuk Reply with quote

Try the one in this zip file. I downloaded it from that site years ago and this one is an exe file.

https://we.tl/uzjO8eQ7rh

Danny D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:30 am    Post subject: Can't get new install from disc to run on Win10 Reply with quote

stancomputergolfer wrote:
I downloaded both files at http://m0004.gamecopyworld.com/games/pc_links_2003.shtml. I first tried with the original discs. When I tried to launch the game, I got the same error code..please insert Disc 1. So, instead I deleted the Rukshuk file, and replaced it with one I downloaded. No go.

I uninstalled Links, and installed the Download Version. Replaced the Rukshuk file and still no go.

I should note that both "archive files" I downloaded did not have a .exe after their name. I have no idea if that makes a difference or not.

Any other ideas?
Since that didn't work, Daniel may be on the right track. For some odd reason, if you add another device to the computer that takes up another hard drive letter, drive "G" will make Links ask for disc 1 to be inserted. It has happened to me many times throughout the years. For example, the last printer that I installed has card reader slots in it for reading the little mini SD cards. When I tried to run links with the printer turned on, I discovered that the SD reader was assigned the "G" drive, and sure enough, Links prompted me to insert disc 1. Look at your disc manager and see it the computer has a "G" drive. If so, you will have to figure out a way to disable that drive letter. I believe something is written into the programming code to cause that to happen, and I know of no other solution that will solve the problem.

Good luck,

Dan

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
Armand

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Can't get new install from disc to run on Win10 Reply with quote

Hopefully, replacing RUKSHUK and removing the G:\ drive letter assignment resolves the problem.

I'd also suggest installing the game as an administrator. After a complete uninstall, right-click on the EXE used to install the game, and choose RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR. Do this for the main game, as well as all patches/mods for the game.

MarkHulka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Can't get new install from disc to run on Win10 Reply with quote

You just have to install the game from CD as usual. Before starting the game, install the v1.07 patch. Then start the game.

Mark

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Members Tech Forums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Dear God, is it true my father won't get in Heaven if he uses his golf words in the house? -Anita, age 7