Please support Links Corner    

Want to play Links again but lost your CDs? Buy Links 2003 download version here and support this site.
Can't get new install from disc to run on Win10Goto page 1, 2  Next View older topic :: View newer topic  
stancomputergolfer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Can't get new install from disc to run on Win10 Reply with quote

I have been playing Links 1.07 since Win10 was installed. Suddenly, it will not open. I tried re-installing the game from my discs, adding the Nvidia Patch, and the 1.07 patch. When I try to open it, I get a message to insert Disc1, and when I do, I get an error message saying Windows does not recognize the disc, although it just did to install the game.

Any ideas how I can get Links to open? Surrender

loner
Links Corner Admin
Links Corner Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Can't get new install from disc to run on Win10 Reply with quote

4th post down
The patch at gameworld.

http://linkscorner.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16472

Let us know how you do.

stancomputergolfer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Can't get new install from disc to run on Win10 Reply with quote

Great news, Loner! However, I'm an end-user. I see the fixes, but don't know what Archive File means. Can someone give me a step by step, please!

TIA! Unsure

Daniel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Can't get new install from disc to run on Win10 Reply with quote

I see this a lot from other players.Look and see if one of your drives as got a letter G if so it always, well nearly always ask you to insert the disc. All you do is go to the Administrative Tools in your control panel then computer management and Disc management and change the drive letter to one that is available.For some reason, the game thinks that the drive letter G is where your game has been installed so it can not find it.

stancomputergolfer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Can't get new install from disc to run on Win10 Reply with quote

I downloaded both files at http://m0004.gamecopyworld.com/games/pc_links_2003.shtml. I first tried with the original discs. When I tried to launch the game, I got the same error code..please insert Disc 1. So, instead I deleted the Rukshuk file, and replaced it with one I downloaded. No go.

I uninstalled Links, and installed the Download Version. Replaced the Rukshuk file and still no go.

I should note that both "archive files" I downloaded did not have a .exe after their name. I have no idea if that makes a difference or not.

Any other ideas?

gator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject: Rukshuk Reply with quote

Try the one in this zip file. I downloaded it from that site years ago and this one is an exe file.

https://we.tl/uzjO8eQ7rh

Danny D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:30 am    Post subject: Can't get new install from disc to run on Win10 Reply with quote

stancomputergolfer wrote:
I downloaded both files at http://m0004.gamecopyworld.com/games/pc_links_2003.shtml. I first tried with the original discs. When I tried to launch the game, I got the same error code..please insert Disc 1. So, instead I deleted the Rukshuk file, and replaced it with one I downloaded. No go.

I uninstalled Links, and installed the Download Version. Replaced the Rukshuk file and still no go.

I should note that both "archive files" I downloaded did not have a .exe after their name. I have no idea if that makes a difference or not.

Any other ideas?
Since that didn't work, Daniel may be on the right track. For some odd reason, if you add another device to the computer that takes up another hard drive letter, drive "G" will make Links ask for disc 1 to be inserted. It has happened to me many times throughout the years. For example, the last printer that I installed has card reader slots in it for reading the little mini SD cards. When I tried to run links with the printer turned on, I discovered that the SD reader was assigned the "G" drive, and sure enough, Links prompted me to insert disc 1. Look at your disc manager and see it the computer has a "G" drive. If so, you will have to figure out a way to disable that drive letter. I believe something is written into the programming code to cause that to happen, and I know of no other solution that will solve the problem.

Good luck,

Dan

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
Armand

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Can't get new install from disc to run on Win10 Reply with quote

Hopefully, replacing RUKSHUK and removing the G:\ drive letter assignment resolves the problem.

I'd also suggest installing the game as an administrator. After a complete uninstall, right-click on the EXE used to install the game, and choose RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR. Do this for the main game, as well as all patches/mods for the game.

MarkHulka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Can't get new install from disc to run on Win10 Reply with quote

You just have to install the game from CD as usual. Before starting the game, install the v1.07 patch. Then start the game.

Mark

stancomputergolfer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Can't get new install from disc to run on Win10 Reply with quote

MarkHulka wrote:
You just have to install the game from CD as usual. Before starting the game, install the v1.07 patch. Then start the game.

Mark

I did a clean install of Links from the disk. When disk 2 was done, instead of clicking on 'play' or 'launch game', I exited, installed Links 1.07 patch, and the Nvidia Win7 patch. Put in disk 1 and tried to launch. Same error code as before.."links unexpectedly shutdown", with three options, troubleshoot, restart, or exit. Tried without the disk. Went in to the Programs file and clicked on the launcher...exactly the same error messages. Tried running in compatibility mode, Windows suggest XP SP1, would not launch. Replaced RuKsHuk file with one of those suggested above. No change. Now what? Any ideas would be appreciated.

grandpabruce

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Can't get new install from disc to run on Win10 Reply with quote

MarkHulka wrote:

Mark

I did a clean install of Links from the disk. When disk 2 was done, instead of clicking on 'play' or 'launch game', I exited, installed Links 1.07 patch, and the Nvidia Win7 patch. Put in disk 1 and tried to launch. Same error code as before.."links unexpectedly shutdown", with three options, troubleshoot, restart, or exit. Tried without the disk. Went in to the Programs file and clicked on the launcher...exactly the same error messages. Tried running in compatibility mode, Windows suggest XP SP1, would not launch. Replaced RuKsHuk file with one of those suggested above. No change. Now what? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Get a Windows XP or Windows 7 computer.

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971
stancomputergolfer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Can't get new install from disc to run on Win10 Reply with quote

I forgot to mention, I dumped Win10 and re-installed Win764 HP before trying the clean install of Links. All pertinent updates installed before I tried.

Danny D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:38 am    Post subject: Can't get new install from disc to run on Win10 Reply with quote

I forgot to mention, I dumped Win10 and re-installed Win764 HP before trying the clean install of Links. All pertinent updates installed before I tried.
I apologize if I missed your reply, but have you checked to see if something is using the "G" drive on your computer?

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
Danny D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Can't get new install from disc to run on Win10 Reply with quote

MarkHulka wrote:

Mark

I did a clean install of Links from the disk. When disk 2 was done, instead of clicking on 'play' or 'launch game', I exited, installed Links 1.07 patch, and the Nvidia Win7 patch. Put in disk 1 and tried to launch. Same error code as before.."links unexpectedly shutdown", with three options, troubleshoot, restart, or exit.

That popup message is generated by the Links program any time Links shuts down in an unusual manner. Don't choose any of the 3 options. Just ignore it and cancel it, and try to go on into Links and see what happens.

Dan

stancomputergolfer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject: Can't get new install from disc to run on Win10 Reply with quote

Danny D wrote:
I apologize if I missed your reply, but have you checked to see if something is using the "G" drive on your computer?

Yes, I have re-named that drive.

grandpabruce

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:24 am    Post subject: Can't get new install from disc to run on Win10 Reply with quote

Danny D wrote:

Yes, I have re-named that drive.

I guess that you forgot to mention that before. It appears that there is probably a lot that you have forgotten to mention. Whip It will be tough for these folks to help you, if you don't let them know everything, even if you think it is unimportant.

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
pmgolf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Can't get new install from disc to run on Win10 Reply with quote

Any other ideas?

open the "Control Panel" (search for it if you don't see it - click Start and look for the "Search for programs and files")

View by "Small Icons"

Select "Folder Options"

Choose the "View" tab

Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"

All files have a suffix of .XXX (read as dot xxx). Dot EXE files are executable programs - using the word "program" liberally. There is no Rukshuk file, but there is a Rukshuk.exe file. Your name isn't just Stan - it's Stan Something, right? I suspect the file extension is being suppressed.

I have 2 suggestions, and I'm not being a smart-a**. Choose one. Either consult with a child over the age of 6 (grandchild if you have one) for help with your PC -or- buy a PC's for Dummies book. Working with someone with so little knowledge of computers is difficult for helpers. It's like trying to discuss Calculus with a first grade child. It's hard to know just how much you have to "dumb down" your instructions.

Pete

stancomputergolfer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Can't get new install from disc to run on Win10 Reply with quote

Pete and Grandpa Bruce...if I wanted to be insulted I would have gone elsewhere. I love the game of Links..can't get it to run, and asked for help.

I have added file extensions to the end of each of your names. Choose one! (pretty obvious)

grandpabruce

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Can't get new install from disc to run on Win10 Reply with quote

Pete and Grandpa Bruce...if I wanted to be insulted I would have gone elsewhere. I love the game of Links..can't get it to run, and asked for help.

I have added file extensions to the end of each of your names. Choose one! (pretty obvious)

I was not trying to insult you. I meant to only tell you how important it is, to provide all the information, if you wanted help.

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
stancomputergolfer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Can't get new install from disc to run on Win10 Reply with quote

grandpabruce wrote:

I was not trying to insult you. I meant to only tell you how important it is, to provide all the information, if you wanted help.

Thank you. I'm an end-user. Not a computer guru. I have some knowledge, but when that runs out, I look for help and try to explain the problem in my layman's language.

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Members Tech Forums All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

An interesting thing about golf is that no matter how badly you play; it is always possible to get worse. - Anon