Please support Links Corner    

If I were you, I'd lay off for a couple of weeks...and then quit. - Jimmy Demaret to Johnny Carson
Unusual APCD crash... View older topic :: View newer topic  
Danny D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Unusual APCD crash... Reply with quote

Hi group...

I just experienced a very odd crash while working on a new course and I'm wondering if any of you have seen this happen.

I was working on a seam blend at the time and suddenly my cursor broke up into a little group of scattered lines. I pressed the X to close the program and it asked if I wanted to save, and I chose YES so as not to lose the work I had just completed. It saved the program and shut down to the desktop. However, the mouse cursor was still a broken up little ball of small lines. After about 30 seconds, my screen went black and the monitor started showing "NO SIGNAL", which was telling me that the video card had lost its output to the monitor, and then a buzzing sound started coming out of the speakers. I then shut down the computer and went into the bios to check for hardware issues, such as possible overheating, but everything looked normal.

After a few minutes, I started up the computer and went back to the APCD. I immediately got a message from the APCD that said there was no OBJECT LIBRARY, and that I would need to create another one before I could continue. So I loaded a backup OBJECT LIBRARY and then the APCD started as normal. Next I tried to load the last CRZ I had been working on from the APCD start menu, but there were no saved CRZ files to choose from the list of last saves. Fear So then I selected "OPEN" and browsed to the APCD course folder and tried to load the last saved CRZ file that I had been working on, and got the message that it didn't recognize the file as a CRZ. SO I figured the last file I was working on had become corrupt. I then chose the last save before the corrupt one, and it loaded just fine. I went ahead and started to work from there, and next thing I notice is that none of the HOT KEYS were working. Wall Bash

I then went in the APCD PREFERENCES to look at the HOT KEY assignments and saw that they were all BLANK. Mad I'm thinking at this point that something corrupted the complete APCD program. I assume the APCD has somehow been damaged and I need to reinstall it.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Thanks,

Dan

By the way, I have had crashes before from not saving often enough, and I'm in the habit of doing a "SAVE AS" about every 30 minutes so as not to lose a lot of work. At the time this crash occurred, I had just saved about 10 minutes prior and had actually done very little work at the time of this crash. I wasn't doing anything unusual at the time and had never had this kind of a crash before. Sad

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
braden1308

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Unusual APCD crash... Reply with quote

Hi Dan,

I have never had anything like that happen before and I have seen some odd things happen with the APCD, sorry I can't help with this one.

Glenn

Ian wells

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Unusual APCD crash... Reply with quote

Dan,

Many times I have been subjected to the error message that the course I was trying to load was not a .crz file. However, the other error messages you mention, I have never had. Normally I just uninstall and re-install APCD, this, so far, has always worked.

The description about the cursor makes me think that your problem is an external fault, not APCD related, but as I am a novice regarding computer problems, I will leave the answer to the experts, and record their answers for future use.

Good luck, and sorry for not helping.

Ian

Captain Nemo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Unusual APCD crash... Reply with quote

Regardless of the Application, if problems happen after Windows Update (1st Tuesday of month) then I treat it as the culprit. This was a Win U/D week, so could that have caused a problem?

I'm in W8.1 on 1 of my machines so I always wait a week and U/D manually. This has reduced U/D problems from about 20% of the time to 5%. Of course any App that Auto Updates can cause issues, That's why I dread Win10, where updates can no longer be manged manually.

What is Casper the Friendly Ghost's Girlfriend's greatest asset? ...............Her BOObies! :))
Danny D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Unusual APCD crash... Reply with quote

Hi guys. Thanks for the replies.

I build my own systems, and am somewhat of a computer geek, and when I saw the cursor break up into tiny pieces, and the video signal shut down to the monitor, the very first thing that came to my mind was the video card was failing. However, I can't associate the corrupted APCD program with a failing video card. Even if the video card shot craps, it still made no sense how it could have damaged the APCD software. So I kinda ruled out the video card and suspected that the APCD had somehow corrupted the video signal which caused it to make the computer crash. I've never seen that type of a crash before. Very strange. Unsure

I have run some hardware diagnostics and everything came up fine. I'm getting ready to remove and reinstall the APCD tonight to see what happens from there. By the way, I have 3 separate APCD installations going on 3 different partitions, because I had been working on 3 courses at the same time and didn't want to intermingle them. I've not had any other problems but this one. (other than a few crashes from not saving often enough) Wall Bash I still believe the APCD is written to perform a limited amount of functions and once that number is exceeded, it shuts down and dumps everything you've done since the last save. Mad Man is that irritating. I have found that to be my number one complaint about the APCD.

Thanks for your thoughts on it. I'll let you know what happens tomorrow.

Dan

Last edited by Danny D on Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:22 am; edited 1 time in total

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
Danny D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject: Unusual APCD crash... Reply with quote

Captain Nemo wrote:
Regardless of the Application, if problems happen after Windows Update (1st Tuesday of month) then I treat it as the culprit. This was a Win U/D week, so could that have caused a problem?

I'm in W8.1 on 1 of my machines so I always wait a week and U/D manually. This has reduced U/D problems from about 20% of the time to 5%. Of course any App that Auto Updates can cause issues, That's why I dread Win10, where updates can no longer be manged manually.

I'm using Windows 7, 64 bit, and I keep automatic updates disabled because there is an issue with Win 7's auto-update function that causes the computer to use over 90% of the CPU power with it enabled. With it disabled, I get all of my CPU usage back. I periodically turn it on and manually search for updates, but haven't done it for over 6 months. I'm one of those old timers that believes, if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. Laugh Sometimes you do more harm than good.

Best wishes,

Dan

derricksummers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Unusual APCD crash... Reply with quote

Dunno Hi Danny
You said you were working on a Seam Blend when the problem accured
The symtoms you discribe as happened to me several times, and in each case it's when I have been changing things near to a Seam Blend.
If the Seam gets altered you can usually repair it, but I have had everyting on the screen breaking up and the program just locks up, nothing works
A couple of times after switching off I have just lost any work that as been done, but on others the file as become corrupt and lost, and once items went missing in the Object Lib
I have no idea how or why it happens but now if I am working near a seam blend I delete the blend and redo it when the work is complete and I have had no problems
This does not solve your problem but it does look as though the seam blend could have something to do with the crash.
Derrick

Danny D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:45 am    Post subject: Unusual APCD crash... Reply with quote

derricksummers wrote:
I have no idea how or why it happens but now if I am working near a seam blend I delete the blend and redo it when the work is complete and I have had no problems
This does not solve your problem but it does look as though the seam blend could have something to do with the crash.
Derrick

Thanks Derrick. I just found it strange that it had corrupted the APCD so bad that it damaged the Object Library and wiped out all of the shortcuts key assignments. I removed the APCD and did a fresh install, and it's working normal again. For further testing, I have also pushed my computer really hard for the last 2 days with some other resource intense programs to see if I could make it malfunction like that again, and the computer took it with ease.

At this point, I'm suspecting somewhere in the APCD I must have performed a function that caused an illegal memory conflict which was bad enough to corrupt the software and crash the computer. That's the only thing I can think of that may have caused it. Computers work off of magic anyway, so anything is possible. Laugh

Thanks for your input. That makes me feel a little better. Thumb Up

Best wishes,

Dan

braden1308

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Unusual APCD crash... Reply with quote

Dan if you have any kind of power flux it can corrupt a file you are working on. I found out the hard way when I plugged in my laptop while working on a course, lost some work but not too much. Whatever may have caused the breakup in your system may have been enough to corrupt your course file. I should have thought of that before.

As far as working near a seam blend I have never had a problem, having the APCD crash and corrupting a file while making a seam blend is something that can happen with bad mapping.

derricksummers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Unusual APCD crash... Reply with quote

Hi Glen
Just to make it a bit more clear, What I was doing in most cases was adding or removing verts very close to a Good Seam Blend. This can damage a section of the seam which in most cases can be repaired.
If I continue to do more alterations for to long and then select the seam for repair thats when the problem as cropped up.
The program just locked up, parts of the display went missing or broke up and nothing worked. Twice it as affected the Object Lib file and I was just left with my planting set, all 3D items were missing,and a couple of times the file was corrupt and would not load.
I am a complete novice as to the workings of a computer, Unlike yourself and Danny if something goes wrong I have no idea how to fix it
The other day I was looking at a program and it said ( press Any Key ) to continue but there is no Any Key on my keyboard so I just switched off
Sad Help Wall Bash Mad
Derrick

braden1308

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Unusual APCD crash... Reply with quote

Hi Derrick,

When you have a seam blend you should always try to add guard rings to avoid accidentally doing something that will affect the blend, I have messed up plenty of seams but have never run into anything like you and Dan have had happen. I can't help but think that a power surge of some sort is the most likely culprit of Dan's problems.........but with the APCD anything and everything are possible!

Glenn

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Designers Corner All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Real golfers never strike a caddie with the driver. The sand wedge is far more effective. ~Huxtable Pippey