Please support Links Corner    

Golfer: I've played so poorly all day; I think I'm going to go drown myself in that lake.
Caddy: I doubt you could keep your head down that long.
Blue Rain Valley, thanksGoto page 1, 2  Next View older topic :: View newer topic  
firesome

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Blue Rain Valley, thanks Reply with quote

Hi, I happened to find the site after having done a Google search for my old course design Blue Rain Valley. Much to my delight, I was amazed to find people still playing Llinks 2003. Absolutely fantastic to know that people are still playing this game.
Blue Rain Valley was a labor of love and my introduction to the course designer. I was literally learning as I went.
I was also amazed to find that it had been re-tooled by Lez Marwick. I would like to thank Lez for choosing my course to polish up. And for the very kind words and choosing my course was great to see. Much appreciated.
It took me some doing to get this old program to run on my Mac, but I was able to manage it. Once I did, of course I played my course first and took a walk down memory lane. It was a bit surreal and a very cool experience which brought back a lot of memories. I see that the textures were slightly changed from my very plush, and apparently not so popular deep lush grass. I wanted it to look plush, but I suppose I may have gone a little too far with the blues. I really like the current textures.
It definitely makes me want to make another course. Even though I know not many people play anymore it was a fun experience. When the iPad came out I delved deeper into art and so maybe that could be applied to this as long as I can remember how to tool my way through.
I was absolutely floored that people are still using the course designer and making courses.
So I wanted to lay down a big thank you for those who have contributed to this effort. It is great to see.
I'll be looking at this for a while.
Best of luck to all.
Rand

Clap

Gtown75

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Blue Rain Valley, thanks Reply with quote

firesome wrote:
I was amazed to find people still playing Llinks 2003. Absolutely fantastic to know that people are still playing this game

People also visit art galleries to look at paintings from the 16th century. A thing of beauty is a joy forever ...

:) Thanks for the course you made!

firesome

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Ok, thanks Reply with quote

I'm not sure I would equate what I do with a masterpiece hanging in the gallery, but thank you for the kind words.
Does the community know or have an idea of how many people are actually playing links 2003?
I'm really surprised they discontinued the franchise. It seems like there would be really incredible golfing games and all formats, but you just don't see it. And where do you see the ability of people to make a course and to get it downloaded? It would be very cool if it were still happening and I'm not sure why they very good golf program like that no longer exists.
Good luck on the links.

billw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Blue Rain Valley, thanks Reply with quote

firesome,

Jack Nicklaus Perfect Golf is the new game in town.

However, alot of us are still sticking with Links.

Hope you give designing another go.

billw

grandpabruce

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Blue Rain Valley, thanks Reply with quote

billw wrote:
firesome,

billw

Perfect Golf isn't exactly new, is it?

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971
firesome

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Ok, ty Reply with quote

billw wrote:
firesome,

billw

Thanks Bill. I haven't heard much about Jack Nicholas Perfect Golf, but I am on Steam so I think I'll check that out. It's still amazing to me there is more than one golf game out there. You would think there would be some very sophisticated games that were very popular.
I think I will download the course designer and see what I can remember. Thinking about it I remember quite a bit in my own mind. But haven't seen that program in years.
Do people make personal designs for the Jack Nicholas golf?
I grew up in Palm Beach not far from Jack's and had the privilege of meeting him a few times. A true legend of the game and a nice guy.
Regards,
Rand

gene_golf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Blue Rain Valley, thanks Reply with quote

Perfect Golf latched onto a program and the name (Jack Nicklaus)

http://www.nicklaus.com/design/computer_modeling.php

was already using in his business of designing real courses to create a course designer for their golf sim and integrated playing the game as Links 2003 like. This is not to be confused with the course designer that was a part of Jack Nicklaus Golden Bear Challenge Golf game out in the 90's.
Also The Golf Game out presently in competition with Jack Nicklaus Perfect Golf, another golf sim has the Greg Norman course designer.

billw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Blue Rain Valley, thanks Reply with quote

I forgot about "The Golf Club" as a newer golf game entry.

I've never played it because my computer isn't powerful enough to play it.

billw

gene_golf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Blue Rain Valley, thanks Reply with quote

Discussion of the other golf sims out now and thanks billw as it is The Golf Club. Also Jack Nicklaus Perfect Golf started out as Perfect Parallel.

http://linkscorner.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31917&highlight=record+round

gene_golf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Blue Rain Valley, thanks Reply with quote

Looking at forum I just posted link to see this written by Mike Jones, one of the founders of Perfect Golf along with Andrew Jones, both former tremendous Links designers setting out on creating the new golf sim, Perfect Golf. Last year Mike intimated that as I take it courses created within Perfect Golf would be made available to Links and compatible to be played here. That never transpired as Mike Jones would have diminished his new endeavor by undercutting it in this way he promised then to do. If the courses were of some reknown, then he might could have sought to collect a fee for those courses as he did when he produced several great P2P courses here in Links before the APCD site died and then he offered his old Links courses for free recently for all to download here.

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:18 pm 
I've spoken to Andy and he is also going to host any Perfect Golf courses submitted to him here at LC which is very kind of him.
I'm sure he will let people know when they are available for download.

JWGriffinGCA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:29 am    Post subject: Blue Rain Valley, thanks Reply with quote

gene_golf wrote:
Last year Mike intimated that as I take it courses created within Perfect Golf would be made available to Links and compatible to be played here.

Gene - I don't think Mike ever meant that courses created for PG would be compatible with Links. They are using two completely different rendering engines. I think he meant that he was hoping that courses for PG would be hosted here at Links Corner for download for use within PG. That obviously hasn't happened yet, and that's just fine with me...

John

When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me! -Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz
firesome

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Blue Rain Valley, thanks Reply with quote

gene_golf wrote:
Discussion of the other golf sims out now and thanks billw as it is The Golf Club. Also Jack Nicklaus Perfect Golf started out as Perfect Parallel.

Thanks for the link.
I was looking at perfect golf on the steam and it gets less than glowing reviews. The reviews seem to be mixed and overall only three stars. It looks like one of the biggest complaints is the online play, or lack there of.
I'm not sure I want to shell out 35 bucks for the game right now.
I just have buyers remorse from purchasing Cold Waters which is about the most boring combat Sim known to man, unless you're a submariner.
I will probably end up buying it at some point. I'm just still a little perplexed as to why there is not a great and popular golf game right now.

How are your experiences with the game, anyone on here who has played it I'm sure can offer some insight? I'd be really interested in the community opinion on the game.

Duck Hook

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Blue Rain Valley, thanks Reply with quote

My antivirus software is currently warning me to stay the hell away from OnlineGolfTour.net ( perfect golf ) , Scared

I dare anyone to tell me that Shadowlands for perfect golf looks and plays better than Shadowlands HD for links. Or any PG course can hold a candle to Shinnecock, Pine Valley, Pilgrim Trails etc, etc. But maybe, if I could only play left handed......... Roll Eyes

Captain Nemo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Blue Rain Valley, thanks Reply with quote

"Perfect Golf" is an oxymoron! :))

Larry was teamed up with Blabbing Barry. On the 7th Tee he could stand Barry no longer & started beating him with his Sand Wedge. Just then the Teaching Pro showed up yelling "Stop! Stop! - Larry. I've told you 1000 times, you need to grip the club like this!"
C/2014 CootieConcepts
Oldjoeclarke

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Blue Rain Valley, thanks Reply with quote

firesome wrote:
gene_golf wrote:

Thanks for the link.
I was looking at perfect golf on the steam and it gets less than glowing reviews. The reviews seem to be mixed and overall only three stars. It looks like one of the biggest complaints is the online play, or lack there of.
I'm not sure I want to shell out 35 bucks for the game right now.
I just have buyers remorse from purchasing Cold Waters which is about the most boring combat Sim known to man, unless you're a submariner.
I will probably end up buying it at some point. I'm just still a little perplexed as to why there is not a great and popular golf game right now.

How are your experiences with the game, anyone on here who has played it I'm sure can offer some insight? I'd be really interested in the community opinion on the game.

I bought it two days ago, reason being that my old PC finally just died and I need golf in my life, can't get Links to run on my Win10 install of my new PC. 26 minutes after playing I requested a refund from Steam. It is utterly soulless and just feels like you are going through the motions to get to the end of the round.

I was very surprised to feel this way after all the talk about it, but I have to be honest, soulless, used again, is my best description.

The putting animation is weird as you do not feel like you have actually hit the ball and the sounds are to subdued, when I crack a 1wood I want a woooooosh noise and when it lands I want a decent thud sound. The lack of atmosphere in this game killed it for me.

You can get it from Steam and see for yourself, but if you do not like it then you can ask for a refund as long as you have not played it for over 2 hours.

Armand

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:57 am    Post subject: Blue Rain Valley, thanks Reply with quote

People will have their own opinions on Perfect Golf, obviously (just like I do!). I think it's pretty good, but there are a few things missing that I'd like to see. They are on the horizon for development, but I really think the biggest issue is the pace of development. It's very slow, to be honest, at least relative to that of other games. But there are advancement made if you are patient enough.

Despite the development pace, most find the online play quite good - the only drawback is the lack of players in the lobby at any given time or the lack of interest in playing with unknown players and at different levels. At least that is my take on it. I don't play online, as I find I don't have the patience to wait for others to shoot - even the fastest of players.

You could try the game and, if it's not to your liking, return in less that 2 hours play (or whatever the limit that Steam puts on that). However, I think it might do you well to lurk/read some of the PP forums. From there, I think you'll get a better idea of what to expect from Perfect Golf. http://www.perfectparallel.com/index

For me and my offline solo play, I prefer PG over Links, as PG is much more challenging in my preferred swing method/difficulty level.

For online competition, you can subscribe at OGT and get more detailed statistics of all your shots ($20 per 6 months at http://simulation.onlinegolftour.net/ ) or you can play in online tournaments/ladders for free at PGLS ( http://pgls.golfladders.co.uk/forums/pgls_intro.php )

There are over 200 courses available for play (about 10 are DLC at about $6 USD each) and the rest are free - just like Course Forge, in case you fancy designing your own course.

guitarget

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Blue Rain Valley, thanks Reply with quote

"...unless you're a submariner."

I am! Thumb Up

Or, was.... Laugh

"Why waste good shots in practice when you might need them in a match?" - Walter Hagen
Duck Hook

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Blue Rain Valley, thanks Reply with quote

Hello Gilligan.... Smile

I don't know whether it's the photo but you look awful long and lanky to be a submariner. You must have had your knees up aroud your bloody ears all day mate....

Thumb Up

guitarget

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Blue Rain Valley, thanks Reply with quote

Absolutely. I'm 75 inches tall, while all the bunks were 72 inches long. I probably still have lumps on my head from banging it on all sorts of metal. Surrender

"Why waste good shots in practice when you might need them in a match?" - Walter Hagen
firesome

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Blue Rain Valley, thanks Reply with quote

guitarget wrote:
Absolutely. I'm 75 inches tall, while all the bunks were 72 inches long. I probably still have lumps on my head from banging it on all sorts of metal. Surrender

I think true submariners would like Cold Waters! Have you played it? Would you like mine? Lol

I am currently addicted to world of warships, and been playing since it was beta. I played world of tanks for a long time as well, over 15,000 games.

<salute>

Thanks for the info and the links to PG. I will definitely check that out.
If there are any coders out there ready to make a really good golf game to corner the golf game market I'd be happy to do the artwork. It seems like an untapped market.

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Designers Corner All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

New to Links? Buy Links 2003 download version here and support this site.