Please support Links Corner    

My clubs are well used, but unfortunately not used well! - Jack Burrell
Mauna Kea Golf Course 2017 (Progress)Goto page 1, 2  Next View older topic :: View newer topic  
crjones

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Mauna Kea Golf Course 2017 (Progress) Reply with quote

This is coming along quickly and now that I'm about halfway done, thought I might share some pix of the work so far.

There's alot of flower planting still to be done on all holes and still playing about with textures, tee markers and so on, but it will give you a reasonable idea of what the final product may look like. Thanks to Google Maps - Google drove their vehicle down the middle of each fairway from tee to green, it will be (at least) a very accurate rendition I think.

Cheers, Colin

Captain Nemo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Mauna Kea Golf Course 2017 (Progress) Reply with quote

Looks amazing cr! Looking forward to enjoying the finished product. Thumb Up

How many Microsoft Programmers does it take to replace a light bulb? Just one.
However, you will be installing updates for all eternity!
lau4sta

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Mauna Key Looking good! Reply with quote

Very nice work so far. The ocean color close to shore looked a bit weird to my old eyes but, I do like the layout and course colors. Very nice. Roll Eyes

Captain Nemo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:00 am    Post subject: Mauna Kea Golf Course 2017 (Progress) Reply with quote

@lau4sta: Re water colour The close to shore water seems realistic to me..I have not been to Hawaii, but in the Carribean and Mediterranean (and even here in the Great Lakes) this is typical of clear days. The deeper water reflects the blue sky and the shallower water is typically turquoise due to less depth and slightly stirred up sand..Possibly shallow water over lava rocks produces the same effect?

How many Microsoft Programmers does it take to replace a light bulb? Just one.
However, you will be installing updates for all eternity!
mashie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:33 am    Post subject: Mauna Kea Golf Course 2017 (Progress) Reply with quote

Looking great, thank you for taking on this project and sharing it with us.

noelk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: Mauna Kea Golf Course 2017 (Progress) Reply with quote

It looks magnificent Colin. The waves look just the ants pants, as though there is real movement in the water. Great work Thumb Up

"For where your treasure is, there will be your heart also."

www.linksanimasters.com
Gtown75

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Mauna Kea Golf Course 2017 (Progress) Reply with quote

Get planting! :) Looking good!

guitarget

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Mauna Kea Golf Course 2017 (Progress) Reply with quote

Clap Thumb Up Yes

"Why waste good shots in practice when you might need them in a match?" - Walter Hagen
lau4sta

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Not really complaining. Reply with quote

Captain Nemo wrote:
@lau4sta: Re water colour The close to shore water seems realistic to me..I have not been to Hawaii, but in the Carribean and Mediterranean (and even here in the Great Lakes) this is typical of clear days. The deeper water reflects the blue sky and the shallower water is typically turquoise due to less depth and slightly stirred up sand..Possibly shallow water over lava rocks produces the same effect?

I've also been to Hawaii, PI, Quam, Australia, New Zealand, Bermuda, St. Thomas, St. John, St. Kitts, St. Croix, and many others. Most of the shorelines including lagoons showed mostly green to brownish green. Still, I like the look of the course and think it will be received very well by the remaining Links community. I'm looking forward to playing it. Clap Clap

crjones

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Mauna Kea Golf Course 2017 (Progress) Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone - much appreciated.

Thanks Noel for the response to the attempts to make the ocean look like it has some movement. There's often nothing tranquil about the ocean around Mauna Kea! So hopefully, once I add more exposed lava rocks, a lot of water spray and play around with the size and mappings of the "foamy water" texture, I will get it looking more like the mean and nasty piece of coast it actually is. LOL. Honestly, if I can't get the ocean-side signature Par 3s (3rd and 11th) to look good, I may as well not bother with the rest of the course. So the feedback seems to be that I am on the right track - that's good.

Its a beautiful golf course IRL. Even the MS version is still pretty good to look at and play. Hope my version can do it justice.

Its amazing how more quickly you can work in the APCD as you build more of these things.

gene_golf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Mauna Kea Golf Course 2017 (Progress) Reply with quote

As far as comments so far regarding ocean color here is a picture of rough waves heading into cove area. Will note that the grass texture used looks a bit brownish compared to this picture of course.

crjones

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Mauna Kea Golf Course 2017 (Progress) Reply with quote

I've begun working on the 10th and 11th - I think the back nine at MK is a bit more interesting. Here's some early work from those holes (they are lower-res pix and some are missing skies - just my newish laptop not handling the old game too well).

The existing lava was crushed at MK and then the course built on top. Currently playing around with textures to get that resulting greyish look on the tree/shrub areas.

The green complex at the 10th:

The tee at the 11th:

A view from the green at the 11th (with a Photoshopped sky)

crjones

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Mauna Kea Golf Course 2017 (Progress) Reply with quote

More than half-way there. Not looking forward to texture mapping the (white) houses on the hill tho.

Wall Bash

pmgolf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:15 am    Post subject: Mauna Kea Golf Course 2017 (Progress) Reply with quote

That's wonderful news! I have many fond memories of Mauna Kea!

Pete

noelk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Mauna Kea Golf Course 2017 (Progress) Reply with quote

You're making great progress Colin. It's looking really good. The distant image of the coastline shows the amount of work being done, and I think you've nailed the water and surf Clap Thumb Up

"For where your treasure is, there will be your heart also."

www.linksanimasters.com
mistermike40

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Mauna Kea Golf Course 2017 (Progress) Reply with quote

It looks great!

guitarget

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Mauna Kea Golf Course 2017 (Progress) Reply with quote

I could sure use a visit to the beach on #11..... Whistle

"Why waste good shots in practice when you might need them in a match?" - Walter Hagen
animal72

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Mauna Kea Golf Course 2017 (Progress) Reply with quote

Looks really great! I think my Sony Open will have to rotate here every second year!

Jimbo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Mauna Kea Golf Course 2017 (Progress) Reply with quote

Is there a sound that can be used when the ball lands on a lava-based fairway? I've played on the Big Island and it's a sort of hollow thud, as opposed to the normal "grassy" sound-that's about the best way I can describe it.

pmgolf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Mauna Kea Golf Course 2017 (Progress) Reply with quote

How about the "knock" sound from hitting a tree? Solid sound.

Pete

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Course Corner All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

New to Links? Buy Links 2003 download version here and support this site.