Please support Links Corner    

By the time a man can afford to lose a golf ball, he can't hit it that far. ~ Lewis Grizzard
Links 2003 Will not play on laptop screen. View older topic :: View newer topic  
jseigfreid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Links 2003 Will not play on laptop screen. Reply with quote

Computer is an HP 250 G5 Notebook, i3. Intel HD Graphics 550, 1366x768 x 59hertz.

I have a second monitor, Sony 1280 x 1024 - it is old.

I set display to monitor 2 only, the Sony, and the game plays. No other way it will play. I take my laptop with me as I travel and it sure would be nice to be able to play the game.
TIA

JWGriffinGCA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Links 2003 Will not play on laptop screen. Reply with quote

I bought a new laptop a month ago - i5, Intel HD 550 onboard graphics, Win10. Based on plenty of other posts here about integrated graphics - and especially with Windows 10 - I wasn't optimistic that I could get Links 2003 to run on it. I wasn't disappointed - no luck... Well, it would run, but it had all sorts of rendering issues. It generally seemed fine until I made a swing - the meter would be in super slo-mo, and then when it rendered the ball flight it would shift to a completely different view of the hole that made no sense. Sometimes it would just freeze there, other times it would eventually render the next shot.

I haven't tried hooking it up to a monitor.

John

When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me! -Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz
Sandy Trapp

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Links 2003 Will not play on laptop screen. Reply with quote

Those integrated Intel graphics cards do not play nice with Links 2003.
Check some of the other topics and you will see others who have had issues.

gator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:01 am    Post subject: Links 2003 Will not play on laptop screen. Reply with quote

Not sure if this will work for you, but you might try reading this thread and see how themonk dealt with playability issues with Intel onboard graphics. Certainly not an ideal solution, but it may work for you.

http://linkscorner.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32951

JWGriffinGCA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:36 am    Post subject: Links 2003 Will not play on laptop screen. Reply with quote

gator wrote:
Not sure if this will work for you, but you might try reading this thread and see how themonk dealt with playability issues with Intel onboard graphics. Certainly not an ideal solution, but it may work for you.

http://linkscorner.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32951

I tried again so I could give this a shot (disabling Intel graphics) and I actually got it working pretty well with Intel HD 520. It would not run with Intel graphics disabled via Device Manager. I installed the download copy of Links 2003, installed the 1.07 patch and the nVidia patch. My native resolution is 1920x1080 but I can only get 1400x900 max to display properly with Links - but it works! Key difference was specifying 32 bit option and not 16 bit when selecting resolution in the Graphics Settings menu in Links.

I cannot use any skies - in place of the sky it displays an odd mix of the green "Links2003" wallpaper and some black & white bars that remind me of a filmstrip (dating myself there). But if I select no sky, then it looks and plays just fine with very minimal rendering issues - aiming marker and ball flight are sometimes not visible in Top Cam.

Overall, very acceptable. Again - I'm running a Dell Inspiron laptop with Intel i5 and Windows 10 with Intel HD 520 graphics. I specified compatibility with Windows XP SP3, run as admin; no other compatibility settings.

John

When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me! -Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz
Mailman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Links 2003 Will not play on laptop screen. Reply with quote

JWGriffinGCA wrote:
Key difference was specifying 32 bit option and not 16 bit when selecting resolution in the Graphics Settings menu in Links.

Nice reminder about this John Thumb Up

Finally got Links running again just to see what it feels like after a long layoff - yes specifying 32 bit did the trick. Menus are not corrupted and the ani is swinging smoothly.

Running an i5 4690K, Nvidia 1060 graphics and Windows 10 (64-bit) these days.

I really am a Mailman IRL - http://www.boyntonbeach.com/history/mailman/
Andy Scott
View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Members Tech Forums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

New to Links? Buy Links 2003 download version here and support this site.