Please support Links Corner    

Want to play Links again but lost your CDs? Buy Links 2003 download version here and support this site.
Clwb Golff Cynnfig (Kenfig Golf Club)Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 View older topic :: View newer topic  
JWGriffinGCA

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Clwb Golff Cynnfig (Kenfig Golf Club) Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments guys! Been working on custom turf textures and I've come up with something I'm pretty happy with for green and fairway base textures. I think the biggest challenge will be the deep rough - I think I'm going to have to develop that texture in conjunction with planted grasses to make sure the combined appearance is what I want. So I'm starting to delve into objects and looking at other links courses to get some ideas.

John

When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me! -Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz
JWGriffinGCA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Clwb Golff Cynnfig (Kenfig Golf Club) Reply with quote

I've created HD textures for rough and deep grass that blend nicely with the fairway & green. Even made a good mid texture for the deep grass that really makes a huge difference in cutting down on tiling in the distance. Need to do the same for a few of the other textures also.

I need to start do some trials with 2D planting - especially grasses - but I'll be honest I'm a bit leery to start messing with objects. Seems like that's been a real PITA for some who are dealing with corrupted objects. Planning to take a pretty methodical approach and hopefully that minimizes any issues.

What I really need to do is avoid the temptation to keep tweaking the mesh. As I've been hopping around different holes to check how the textures look, some elevation or feature catches my eye that begs to be tweaked. Last night I did some major rework of the 14th green. It's for the better, it had been gnawing at me for a while that it wasn't quite right. I like it much better now, but that's three hours that could have been spent reviewing objects. Bad news is, I've spotted more mesh work that needs to be done! I'd prefer to have the mesh locked down before I start planting, though.

John

Duck Hook

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Clwb Golff Cynnfig (Kenfig Golf Club) Reply with quote

Duck Hook wrote:

I want to play this course at least once before I turn 50..

Hey John.

March 22, 2021. Just so you know.

Time's a tickin' ol' mate.....

Whistle Laugh Thumb Up

Ian wells

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Clwb Golff Cynnfig (Kenfig Golf Club) Reply with quote

Quote: "I'd prefer to have the mesh locked down before I start planting"

Every time I open APCD I see something that I needs to change. Wall Bash

I know from all your posts that you are far more diligent in your work than I am, so you will probably achieve your wish. It will certainly save a lot of time over the life of your course design. (measure once etc.)

Good luck and I look forward the completed course.

Ian

JWGriffinGCA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject: Clwb Golff Cynnfig (Kenfig Golf Club) Reply with quote

Duck Hook wrote:

Hey John.

March 22, 2021. Just so you know.

Time's a tickin' ol' mate.....

Whistle Laugh Thumb Up

Don't pressure me, Todd!! Scared Laugh

Hmmm, a bit over three years. Might have a beta ready by then... I was never very good at giving really good birthday gifts (just ask my wife), so you might have to settle! Laugh But I have added it to my calendar so don't be surprised if you get a PM in a few years! I think you just volunteered to be a beta tester! Naughty

Ian Wells wrote:

Every time I open APCD I see something that I needs to change.

Ian - I know what you mean and I haven't even started planting yet. I keep notes in OneNote for my to-do list and it keeps growing faster than I can tick items off! It sucks being a perfectionist!

John

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Preview Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to:  

Golfer: I've played so poorly all day; I think I'm going to go drown myself in that lake.
Caddy: I doubt you could keep your head down that long.