Please support Links Corner    

Dear God, is it true my father won't get in Heaven if he uses his golf words in the house? -Anita, age 7
Clwb Golff Cynnfig (Kenfig Golf Club)Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next View older topic :: View newer topic  
JWGriffinGCA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:10 am    Post subject: Clwb Golff Cynnfig (Kenfig Golf Club) Reply with quote

I decided it was finally time to post some screenshots of the course I have been working on. I've been referring to it for a couple years and so I figured I'd better post some proof that I wasn't bluffing. It is a fictional links course loosely based on a real dunes area in Wales on Swansea Bay - the Kenfig National Nature Reserve. I wanted a course that explored some big sandhill dunes and had some quirks as all proper links do.

I have currently completed elevation work on the in-play areas for all 18 holes, although I decided I need to make some semi-major tweaks to the 2nd hole. I have spent a lot of time getting ground contours the way I want them - lots of time reviewing work with the grid on to ensure natural-looking slopes in and around greens, bunkers, and fairways. I still have a lot of work to do in the surrounding dune areas to get the rugged rumpled look I want.

Please keep in mind the current state of the course in the shots below: placeholder low-def textures, no plantings, no 3D, no pano, no seam blends. Other than that, it's nearly done! Laugh Seriously, I started this course in 2010. Between being a perfectionist and having only 2-3 hours a week (max) to work on it, it's taken a while to get to this point, and it will take a while to complete. But it's a labor of love, it's my stress reliever (until APCD frustrates me!), and it's a creative outlet from my structured engineering mind. This course is my happy place in the few minutes during the day at work when I can let my mind wander and think about how I want a feature to look or what I need to do next.

Anyway, enough background. Here are a few screenshots to offer a flavor of the course.

John

When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me! -Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz
Ian wells

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:12 am    Post subject: Clwb Golff Cynnfig (Kenfig Golf Club) Reply with quote

I believe that you have sown the seeds of an excellent golf course. It has an atmoshere about it. Your 2-3 hours each day have been well spent!
I look forward to the finished course, good luck.
Ian

McCoist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Clwb Golff Cynnfig (Kenfig Golf Club) Reply with quote

I like it

andy2212

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Clwb Golff Cynnfig (Kenfig Golf Club) Reply with quote

Looks good to me. I have the feel of being there already.

Keep up the excellent work.

Here`s to those who wish you well. But those who don`t can go to hell
pmgolf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Clwb Golff Cynnfig (Kenfig Golf Club) Reply with quote

Love the look of it!

braden1308

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Clwb Golff Cynnfig (Kenfig Golf Club) Reply with quote

Looking good John Thumb Up

Jimbo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Clwb Golff Cynnfig (Kenfig Golf Club) Reply with quote

Looks promising-but you might want to run "Spellcheck" on the name... Naughty

JWGriffinGCA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:19 am    Post subject: Clwb Golff Cynnfig (Kenfig Golf Club) Reply with quote

Thanks for all the nice comments, everyone. Very much appreciated! I can't promise frequent updates based on the current pace of progress, but I will continue to post updates. As I mentioned, next up is a bit of rework on #2, but I think I'm up for tackling some 3D work around the clubhouse area after that - Danny D has definitely inspired me with his recent work and I've been drawing some sketches of clubhouse styles - very unusual compared to my usual habit of doodling golf holes!

Jimbo wrote:

Yeah, well it's Welsh. Laugh Compared to some Welsh, be glad the words are less than 10 characters long and actually has some vowels in it! Laugh

John

nw1977

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Clwb Golff Cynnfig (Kenfig Golf Club) Reply with quote

Wonderful! Has a great feel to it.

Jimbo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Clwb Golff Cynnfig (Kenfig Golf Club) Reply with quote

JWGriffinGCA wrote:
Thanks for all the nice comments, everyone. Very much appreciated! I can't promise frequent updates based on the current pace of progress, but I will continue to post updates. As I mentioned, next up is a bit of rework on #2, but I think I'm up for tackling some 3D work around the clubhouse area after that - Danny D has definitely inspired me with his recent work and I've been drawing some sketches of clubhouse styles - very unusual compared to my usual habit of doodling golf holes!

Jimbo wrote:

Yeah, well it's Welsh. Laugh Compared to some Welsh, be glad the words are less than 10 characters long and actually has some vowels in it! Laugh

In that case shouldn't you have a few more "Triple" or "Quadruple" letters?

John
Stuck Tongue

Note, I'm sticking my tongue out because that a prerequisite for the language, right? Stuck Tongue

animal72

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:11 am    Post subject: Clwb Golff Cynnfig (Kenfig Golf Club) Reply with quote

Looks great! I would play it in a heartbeat!

JWGriffinGCA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:25 am    Post subject: Clwb Golff Cynnfig (Kenfig Golf Club) Reply with quote

Jimbo wrote:

Stuck Tongue

Note, I'm sticking my tongue out because that a prerequisite for the language, right? Stuck Tongue

This was my second choice for the name of the course...

Tongue

Bluenoser

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Clwb Golff Cynnfig (Kenfig Golf Club) Reply with quote

JWGriffinGCA wrote:
Jimbo wrote:

Stuck Tongue

This was my second choice for the name of the course...

Tongue

Meh, that one's easy to pronounce - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHxO0UdpoxM

Links - It's not about winning, it's about having fun!
Duck Hook

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Clwb Golff Cynnfig (Kenfig Golf Club) Reply with quote

Hey John

Looks great mate!

Really like the look of holes 8 and in particular 10

Thumb Up

Mr Mulligan

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Clwb Golff Cynnfig (Kenfig Golf Club) Reply with quote

Duck Hook wrote:
Hey John

Looks great mate!

Really like the look of holes 8 and in particular 10

Thumb Up

Yes
Ditto!
(has a Royal County Kilderry feel to it!)

Mr Mulligan (Keep it in the SHORT STUFF!)
JWGriffinGCA

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:05 am    Post subject: Clwb Golff Cynnfig (Kenfig Golf Club) Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I was just thinking I needed to post an update soon.

- I moved some dirt on #2 and like the result, although still toying with another tweak.

- In the meantime I've been working on my first 3D project - a starter's hut. I've got it all built, currently de-shadowing and then need to map textures and add a couple details. I'm using Lez Marwick's de-shadowing technique from his videos (#49 & 50) and have had decent success so far but just moving into more complex areas - we'll see how it goes. Will post some images soon.

- Then will probably work on more coursework (shoreline, tees, etc) to get a break from 3D before starting on the clubhouse.

John

billw

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Clwb Golff Cynnfig (Kenfig Golf Club) Reply with quote

John,

Keep your bulldozer running and don't put down your hammer.

Course looks good.

billw

JWGriffinGCA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Clwb Golff Cynnfig (Kenfig Golf Club) Reply with quote

Here are a couple screen clips from APCD of the starter's hut - all finished with it! I think it turned out pretty well for my first effort at 3D. Building 3D is a lot different than doing work on playing surfaces - and I was intimidated by the thought of doing 3D - but it was actually pretty fun and not as difficult as I had imagined. That was mainly due to Mat LeClair's good 3D tutorials and Lez Marwick's videos. Plus it gave me some practice at working with textures in PhotoShop.

I still need to build a clubhouse which will have similar style as the starter's hut, but I need a break from 3D. Will probably work on adding more tees and maybe start cleaning up the shoreline.

John

JWGriffinGCA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Clwb Golff Cynnfig (Kenfig Golf Club) Reply with quote

Hard to believe it's been 7 months since my last update. I've been working on the course steadily but it's been mostly boring stuff - adding tees and walking paths. So the course still generally looks the same as the screenshots I previously posted. I'm so happy to be done with paths - I've been seeing verts and edges in my sleep!

I did get five sets of teeboxes added, and play-tested each hole from each tee with various wind directions. I'm a big fan of the approach that Lez Marwick advocated - the option to select random tees. I have tried hard to make each hole have some different looks and strategic challenges depending on different tees and wind direction - I didn't want them to just mindlessly play from a shorter yardage. I know a lot of folks just automatically select the back tees and go, but I like offering some variety to hopefully entice folks to explore the course a bit more. In the process of play testing, I tweaked locations of some bunkers on a few holes.

I think my next task will be experimenting with some textures and working on the shoreline. I've been checking out some other courses in-game in practice mode to study various techniques for creating the shoreline and having the ocean blend into the pano. It's been interesting to see different ways of doing it and being able to see the pros & cons of various methods.

Aside from only having one pin location per hole, the course is playable. So from here it's mostly the cosmetic stuff.

John

Danny D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:28 am    Post subject: Clwb Golff Cynnfig (Kenfig Golf Club) Reply with quote

JWGriffinGCA wrote:

I think my next task will be experimenting with some textures and working on the shoreline. I've been checking out some other courses in-game in practice mode to study various techniques for creating the shoreline and having the ocean blend into the pano. It's been interesting to see different ways of doing it and being able to see the pros & cons of various methods.

Aside from only having one pin location per hole, the course is playable. So from here it's mostly the cosmetic stuff.

John

Somehow I have missed this thread during the 1 year I've been here. Your course looks like it will be challenging. I hope I get to play it when it's complete. Nice work.

Excellent job you did on the started shack. Yes Very nice work indeed. Clap

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Course Corner All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

New to Links? Buy Links 2003 download version here and support this site.