Please support Links Corner    

Golf is a fascinating game. It has taken me nearly forty years to discover that I can't play it. ~Ted Ray
Pinehurst #8 log.Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 View older topic :: View newer topic  
Eddie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Pinehurst #8 log. Reply with quote

Thanks very much guys!! Smile

The last week and a half haven't been good for gaming, APCD or Links. The good news for me is I've spent 99% of my gaming time playing Links or working in APCD.

Where I'm at currently is refining hole shapes on #4. Some holes have been more labor intensive than others. I have all seam blends in and when I add verts/edges I have to re-seam blend what I have already done. Hole 3 was a beast because I had to spin the green on the Z axis a little to get it right which put most of my pins in bad areas and a few off the green. I'm going to finish planting trees on hole two this week. I'm not a big fan of foresting so plant all trees by hand to help eliminate duplicate trees in the same area.

I don't know if I posted this before but in the top right of this shot you can see the hole 4 shapes I made into textures. The idea is trace vital shapes and move to the course for refinement.

Wishing all a Happy Easter!!

Eddie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Pinehurst #8 log. Reply with quote

Man, when I saw hole 1 was amiss and refined those shapes I thought that was going to be the worst of it.

Some holes have been better than others, 4 was a bear with the waste area and paths. It has been a little deflating because I'm wasting time blowing up seam blends already done to re seam blend. That said it hasn't been a killer and I've overcome bigger issues in the past, hole shapes are taking much more time than expected however. I wouldn't feel like I was giving my best if I overlooked it.

Here's lake left of five with the shape as it was on original.

and here's the fixed version as repaired today.

I'm going to be working on #6 hole shapes the rest of the week and following up placing & mapping tee logs on 5 and tee signs on 4 and 5.

I hope to update in a few weeks. Smile Have a great week all!

Chad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Pinehurst #8 log. Reply with quote

Sign me up for beta testing this when you are ready, Eddie Thumb Up

Definition of Boring: Radio Golf
Eddie

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:04 pm    Post subject: Pinehurst #8 log. Reply with quote

Thanks Chad will do. I hope you're doing well.

Hard to believe it's been a month since my last update, time marches on..

Here's a pic looking down 6 fairway and across to hole 8. I just finished shapes and rebuilt the bridge on 8 because the overhead and my pics had it much longer. I thought about leaving it like it was because it had no effect on play but in the end thought why not fix it. Luckily I was able to use some parts off of it

Someone might notice the bridge on 6 is different as well. I had to alter it but was able to move everything with pieces intact. . Smile

Next up is refine or fix 9 hole shapes, 8 tee logs and 8 tee sign.

Have a great week all!

guitarget

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:13 am    Post subject: Pinehurst #8 log. Reply with quote

You too, Eddie. Thumb Up

"Why waste good shots in practice when you might need them in a match?" - Walter Hagen
Weeler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Progress Reply with quote

Hi, Eddie, is this project on hiatus for awhile? I keep checking for progress updates every now and then. Since Pinehurst #2 was redone awhile back, I've definitley been looking forward to your HD update of #8. I've always liked the course, and can't wait to see your beautiful updated rendition. Any news would be much appreciated. I know you've got other "irons in the fire" as well,so you have to set priorities.

Thanks.....................Weeler

Eddie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Pinehurst #8 log. Reply with quote

Good Morning Wheeler,

Since my last update my wife left her job and we have put our house up for sale. My free time has been spent researching places that would fall in to our wants for a new home. I hope things slow down in the coming weeks and I can finish what I started on Bull Run and get back to this course.

Sorry for any delays.

Mr Mulligan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Pinehurst #8 log. Reply with quote

Eddie wrote:
Good Morning Wheeler,

Since my last update my wife left her job and we have put our house up for sale. My free time has been spent researching places that would fall in to our wants for a new home. I hope things slow down in the coming weeks and I can finish what I started on Bull Run and get back to this course.

Sorry for any delays.

Best of luck Eddie!
Hope things work out for the best!

Mr Mulligan (Keep it in the SHORT STUFF!)
braden1308

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject: Pinehurst #8 log. Reply with quote

Good luck Eddie, hope things go smoothly

grandpabruce

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Pinehurst #8 log. Reply with quote

There are always better days ahead. I hope that that holds true for you too, Eddie.

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971
Weeler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Pinehurst #8 log. Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that news. It makes completeing a course for Links pale in comparison. Good luck on finding a new home !

Weeler

Eddie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Pinehurst #8 log. Reply with quote

Thanks all things are well , I didn't intend to paint a bleak picture.

I'm happy to be moving to a hopeful better quality of life.

The Bull Run upgrade was too close to finishing . I put some time into it over the past few days.

Hopefully peeps can download a beta or play it if they like from this link.

http://www.gamefront.com/files/25140917/BRHD.Beta.zip

Thanks and take care.

guitarget

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Pinehurst #8 log. Reply with quote

Thanks, Eddie! Thumb Up

"Why waste good shots in practice when you might need them in a match?" - Walter Hagen
Eddie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Pinehurst #8 log. Reply with quote

Hi Guys, time to resurrect this thread... I've been making some progress with Pinehurst 8... As I mentioned earlier in the thread I thought I'd be planting and it would be done,when I went back to it years ago but study of overheads showed me I needed to remake holes. I attached a side by side to show again my issue/differences that need correction.

I suppose each reshaping takes approximately 2 weeks including adding tee logs and tee signs to each hole with mappings.... Speaking of Mappings I'm currently at 1854 mappings, hopefully it isn't a limit because I believe I'll need another 500 if not more Smile

I also am laying the groundwork for Seminole Golf Club in Juno Beach... I have Lidar data and some ideas that I'm fermenting if nothing else comes to fruition but if someone can take my data and make it importable or has some of their own they'd like to share that would be great.

Have a great weekend my friends and May the Lords light shine on you!

sagevanni

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Pinehurst #8 log. Reply with quote

Hi Eddie......I just looked at this whole thread.....!!!!! You are truly amazing...!!!! Can you tell me what the "clone tool" is...???? and how do you use it......Can you clone things from course to course...??? Again....Your work is out of this world.

Sage...... Clap

Eddie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Pinehurst #8 log. Reply with quote

Thank You Sage for the kind words, I'm just having fun. Smile

The APCD mod works as such you make a master file and what you build on that Master ,you move the object each time make slaves from that file then merge. It's been quite awhile since I used it, and found it tricky but it does work when you get the right sequence.

I wouldn't use it on a well under way course until you get comfortable with it....

Here is the cloning mod and instructions...

https://nofile.io/f/6Hw9wEmjPGk/apcdmod1.zip

Have fun!

Weeler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Pinehurst #8 Update Reply with quote

Hey, Eddie:
I'm still very much anticipating this #8 course upgrade. I'm looking forward to a superb looking course, considering your past efforts with the APCD. You easily have to be considered one of the top 5 current
designers out there for LINKS. Of course, I realize you indeed have a life
other than designing Links courses, but do you have an idea when you may be ready to release your new version of this course? And, for that
matter, what are you considering for your next projects?

Appreciate all your efforts thus far.....

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Course Corner All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to:  

It's not a good idea to pick up lost golfballs while they're still rolling. ~ Mark Twain