Please support Links Corner    

By the time you get to your ball, if you don't know what to do with it, try another sport. - Julius Boros
Surface Types View older topic :: View newer topic  
Kronzky

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Surface Types Reply with quote

After a 20-year hiatus (remembering the good old days of 386Pro tournaments on CompuServe), I'm ready to get back into the game, so, of course, the first thing I'm busy with is to create distance charts.

I'm a bit confused though about the results I'm getting.
If I'm in the rough on Bob's Driving Range I get consistently longer distances than if I shoot from the roughs on Harbour Town, for example (both lies are perfectly flat, and no wind, of course).
I also noticed that the fairway on The Complex is called "Reg Fairway", whereas on most other courses it's just called "Fairway".

So I'm wondering how many different surface types we actually have in Links2003, whether course designers can name their surfaces anything they want (i.e. is "Reg Fairway" the same as "Fairway", or "Tallgrass" the same as "Short Rough"?), and if there is a random factor involved when shooting from the roughs.

Thanks for any clarification! Looks like things got a lot more complex since 1992, and that I have a long learning curve ahead of me... Laugh

pmgolf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Surface Types Reply with quote

1992, eh? My kind of guy! I played in the "Divots" club and then moved up to the Pro Tour! It's been many years. Dave Lommen used to win just about every tournament.

I've been back playing for 3 or 4 years now. The new courses are incredibly good. The fairways, roughs, and heavy roughs can have other names, depending on the designer, but they are still fairways, roughs, and heavy roughs. The designers seem to be able to make heavy rough more difficult so they affect your distance more, but rough and fairway seem to stay the same. You will need to interpret what things like what "tall grass" and "first cut" mean, but you're still looking for either fairway, rough or heavy rough.

I switched to Real Time Swing and created distance charts for that. I play the same kind of game that I do in real life. So - so tee to green and a good short game. Have fun!

Pete

ps Download some courses by Robert Miller. Free and fantastic!

Kronzky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Surface Types Reply with quote

Ok, so despite of what the "labels" might say, we only have three surface types (plus sand, I guess)? That certainly makes things a bit easier! (I was afraid I'd have to map dozens of surfaces...)
Or, of course, I could just stay on the fairway, and not bother with all those other weird things nearby! Laugh

And thanks for the pointer for Rober Miller's creations. I haven't tried any yet, but they certainly sound (and look, by the screenshots) rather enticing.

Armand

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:35 am    Post subject: Surface Types Reply with quote

And when you have those surfaces mapped/figured out, step into 1.07. There's more fun to be had if you play Kapalua Plantation 2009 or the update to Devils Island (both by Andrew Jones), among others .... Naughty

m@

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Surface Types Reply with quote

Course designers' can name surfaces whatever they want but there are only 18 different surface properties available in the stock apcd. They are deep grass, earth, fairway, rough, gravel, water, ice, green, leaves, mud, molten lava, pavement, rocks, rocky hills, sand, snow, undergrowth and other. Some of these are rarely used such as snow, ice, and molten lava. Hope this is helpful.

Matt

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Want to play Links again but lost your CDs? Buy Links 2003 download version here and support this site.