Please support Links Corner    

Golfer (screaming): You've got to be the worst caddy in the world!
Caddy: I doubt it sir. That would be too much of a coincidence!
What/how do you play Links 2003 View older topic :: View newer topic  
Captain Nemo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: What/how do you play Links 2003 Reply with quote

Ever since I stumbled on Ousage's instructions for modifying rosters, I have really enjoyed playing my own modified Career Mode. I found four rounds on most courses too boring, so I mainly go with 2 round tourneys and a 24 Tourney rota, although I usually throw in 3 or 4 four round tournaments, where I play a course I really like for round 1 and 4 and select 2 other courses for rounds 2 & 3.

My only complaint is, although the modified roster makes me competitive there are occasionally unrealistic scores, which I don't know how to adjust for (my aim was to have the top 30 or so roster player's shoot low 60's which sometimes I am capable of. Most of the time they do score fairly realistically, but occasionally pre-mod type scores show up, which for me takes away from the PGA Tour realism I was aiming for. In the example below I was leading by 2 strokes (-9) after the first round and amazingly, for me, shot -9 in the final round and still got caught by two 57's.

The other way I like to play is, I have created animations of my old golfing buddies (I moved several years ago, so I golf with them rarely now), and given them as close to their own style (look and swing) as can be achieved in Links, and then made them competitive with my Links Player (low sixties on a good day). Typically I test new courses with them. Usually playing a Million Dollar skins MOP that I created.

How many Microsoft Programmers does it take to replace a light bulb? Just one.
However, you will be installing updates for all eternity!
gchewitt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: What/how do you play Links 2003 Reply with quote

I've created 16 comp players from real golfer's anis from Animasters. I play weekly tournaments paralleling the Pga tour, using real courses whenever I can match. My favorite fictional courses when I can't. The anis play, eight at a time, either overnight, or while I'm at work, and I play my rounds when I get a chance. Cut after two rounds. Money (I wish) awarded after each tourney.

Each of the comp players are around 87 skill points. I make about 2/3 of the cuts, have won 3 time this year, and am 7th in the money list. A couple years ago the comps were at 85 points and I won 11 times. It's hard to believe just those two points would make such a difference. At the end of the year, I play my own version of the Fed-Ex cup, the Kovalsky-Carr (my employer) Finish.

Captain Nemo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: What/how do you play Links 2003 Reply with quote

gchewitt wrote:
I've created 16 comp players from real golfer's anis from Animasters. I play weekly tournaments paralleling the Pga tour, using real courses whenever I can match. My favorite fictional courses when I can't. The anis play, eight at a time, either overnight, or while I'm at work, and I play my rounds when I get a chance. Cut after two rounds. Money (I wish) awarded after each tourney.

Each of the comp players are around 87 skill points. I make about 2/3 of the cuts, have won 3 time this year, and am 7th in the money list. A couple years ago the comps were at 85 points and I won 11 times. It's hard to believe just those two points would make such a difference. At the end of the year, I play my own version of the Fed-Ex cup, the Kovalsky-Carr (my employer) Finish.

Sounds interesting. I would like to set up something similar. I'm assuming your are not talking about Links Career Mode, but you're own ani group for your own Tourney rota?
How do you keep track of the tourney prize money, scores, rankings and winnings?, What scores are you shooting? I once made the mistake of creating an ani with 81 points and he averaged 58.2 for 10 games. This experience helped me create my own competitive ani buddies, (my average score at the time after about 500 games was 67.2). The anis are rated between 71.6 and 74,2 and average high 60's (but all of them have, at sometime shot in the low 60's) from the championship tees.

gchewitt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: What/how do you play Links 2003 Reply with quote

Nemo,

One error in my post, I took a look at me comp players' skill points and they are around 85 instead of 87. So I must have began at around 83. Their average score this year is between 67.2 (Tiger) and 70.4 (Lee Westwood). My average for the last 70 rounds is 69.1, right in the middle. I can't imagine why your ani with only 81 skill points would average so low unless you're using very easy game settings. I only use the mod with gusty winds and moderate (challenging) greens.

No, I don't use career mode. I print out score sheets for each individual tournament and keep scores by hand. Then I input tourney end results into a simple Open Office spreadsheet to track each year's totals. I used to use Greybeards Virtual Tour when I had Excel on a old computer, but when that machine died, I had to replace it with something else. I started my tour in 2009 and have only did some minor tweeking since.

Jimbo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: What/how do you play Links 2003 Reply with quote

I play along with the real PGA using Greybeards. Given the fact that the PGA off-season is approximately 2 weeks, it keeps me occupied! Whistle

BTW-after years and years of playing Greybeard's game I finally had a round "rained out". I was beginning to wonder if he was kidding about that part of the game.

Last edited by Jimbo on Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Captain Nemo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: What/how do you play Links 2003 Reply with quote

gchewitt;
Thanks for the info. You may be correct about the ani scores vs their rating. However, I haven't noticed any consistent change in ani scores when more difficult conditions are selected. Just my scores go to pot.

In order for me to be competitive in career mode I set up the courses alternately mid tees, breezy with moderate greens and pins or Championship tees, no wind soft greens and moderate pins. When I play with my ani buddies I always go with the latter set up but switch back to moderate green speed. The reason I have stayed away from more difficult settings is, when I tested combinations of them a couple of years ago, I couldn't break a hundred and the anis (those I created and those I modified in Career Mode) and the anis, as I noted above didn't appear to be affected by them. They continued to merrily shoot similar scores to those on the easier settings.

Dazmaniac

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: What/how do you play Links 2003 Reply with quote

Play on a couple of tours when time allows, against other community Linksters, with handicap systems in play, so that all different swing types and skill levels can compete together.

Much prefer that to playing against numbers generated by formulas, lol.

Thumb Up

ASUS P6X85D | Win 7 Ultimate - 64 Bit | 12GB RAM | Intel i7 3.20 Ghz | EVGA 4GB Nvidia 760 GTX
View older topic :: View newer topic  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Golfer: Do you think I can get there with a 5-iron? Caddy: Eventually.