Please support Links Corner    

Actually, the only time I ever took out a one iron was to kill a tarantula. And I took a seven to do that. -Jim Murry
File Location in Windows 7Goto page 1, 2  Next View older topic :: View newer topic  
KunkleMan

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: File Location in Windows 7 Reply with quote

After installing Windows 7, I can't seem to find out where to put the "player" files in order to get them to show up in the game. Would appreciate any help someone can give.

Also don't know how to get the "old" stats to show up.

No. 1 rule of golf-----Make sure you stay on the RIGHT side of the grass!!
Bluenoser

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: File Location in Windows 7 Reply with quote

Should be in C:/ProgramData/Links2003/Players.

That's where the Pin files and player photos go.

Links - It's not about winning, it's about having fun!
Acrilix

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: File Location in Windows 7 Reply with quote

Course stat files go here:

C:\ProgramData\Links 2003\Course Data

ProgramData is hidden by default. You need to 'show hidden files, folders, and drives' in control panel's folder options.

Mod 1.07 - Pro powerstroke - No top cam - No grid
APCD Designer - Margaret's Bay, Ackerton Cross, The Dustin Trophy Par 3 Challenge, Battley Peak, Anakena Beach, Mowsbury GC, Darwin Point, Elsham Woods,
Yarlswood Golf Club, Fairview GC, Upham Hall Golf Club, Masson Moor, Zeitsbergen
KunkleMan

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: File Location in Windows 7 Reply with quote

Thanks a lot guys. That did the trick.
Now, if I only knew what happened to my original player animation "john" which seemed to disappear, I'd be in good shape!

Any way to get him back?

Edit: Where do the skies go?

pmgolf

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:14 am    Post subject: File Location in Windows 7 Reply with quote

C:\Program Files (x86)\Links 2003\skies

Pete

JDyer

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:09 am    Post subject: File Location in Windows 7 Reply with quote

Kunkleman, check C:/Program Files X86/Microsoft Games/Links 2003/.PolyAni/ . Copy the .l3 and .pin files to Program Date/Players.
Also, my apologies for not responding earlier to you question on System Restore, but my yahoo e-mail got fouled up and I finally got it straightened out. For System Restore, make sure in the Restore Settings your EHD's are unchecked so Restore will not change anything in them. It's not necessary to unplug during Restrore that way. For Recovery, I unplug before I do Recovery so that , when the process is finished and Internet and wireless adapters are reloaded, I plug the EHD's in 1 at a time so I can assign the Drive Letter I was using earlier easier.

Jerry Dyer
2nd email g.dyer@suddenlink.net
KunkleMan

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:54 am    Post subject: File Location in Windows 7 Reply with quote

Thanks very much guys. You bailed me out again.
Also thanks for the tip regarding "system restore" and the EHD's. Clap

KunkleMan

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:56 am    Post subject: File Location in Windows 7 Reply with quote

Here I am again! Could someone please tell me which is the proper file for the clubs in Windows 7? I have them in several places now, but can't seem to get the Golfer Utility to change my putter.

g3b

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:39 am    Post subject: location of club file Reply with quote

Hello Kunkleman, the club files are located in programs(86)/Links 2003/PolyAni...inside of that file is the clubs file.

g3b Thumb Up

Wisernow

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: File Location in Windows 7 Reply with quote

Also, if you don't run Links 2003 as an "administrator". your saved "SCORE.TXT" and "GAMESTAT.TXT" files will be found here:

C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Links 2003

Saved PIN Files will be found here:

C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramData\Links 2003\Players

տ

Marcel Bossi
aka Wisernow...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
KunkleMan

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: location of club file Reply with quote

g3b wrote:
Hello Kunkleman, the club files are located in programs(86)/Links 2003/PolyAni...inside of that file is the clubs file.

g3b Thumb Up

My PolyAni file is in programs(86)/Microsoft Games/Links 2003----Is that the wrong place? My ani does appear in the game.
Thanks for your help.

pbutcher

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: location of club file Reply with quote

KunkleMan wrote:
g3b wrote:

g3b Thumb Up

My PolyAni file is in programs(86)/Microsoft Games/Links 2003----Is that the wrong place? My ani does appear in the game.
Thanks for your help.

You should have a folder called programs(86)/Microsoft Games/Links 2003/Polyani/clubs

The different clubs files go in there. Name them whatever you wish.

Pete

RTS Champ no-grid Mod 1.07 only

http://linksanimasters.com

Acrilix

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: File Location in Windows 7 Reply with quote

Windows 7/8, like Vista, have protected areas that programs can't write to without permission. 'Program Files' is one of these. Unless you run programs as administrator, many old programs will save files to the virtual store, not where they should be saved.
If Links 2003 is installed in its default location, and is not run as admin, shadows etc. will be redirected there. You can also end up with course file duplicates there, depending on how they are installed. If the golfer utility is not run as admin, then changes you make can also be sent there.
What is probably happening is that you have the polyani in the correct place. You are pointing the golfer utility to this file, but it is saving the changes you make in the virtual store, whereas Links is still looking in the correct place, and using the unchanged file. You can check your virtual store to see what is there.
To get things working correctly, right click on the golfer utility icon - choose properties - compatibility tab, and then check the 'run as administrator' box. Do the same with Links 2003, and any other programs that need to write to files in 'Program Files' directories, and they should then work fine. Thumb Up

Mod 1.07 - Pro powerstroke - No top cam - No grid
APCD Designer - Margaret's Bay, Ackerton Cross, The Dustin Trophy Par 3 Challenge, Battley Peak, Anakena Beach, Mowsbury GC, Darwin Point, Elsham Woods,
Yarlswood Golf Club, Fairview GC, Upham Hall Golf Club, Masson Moor, Zeitsbergen
grandpabruce

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: File Location in Windows 7 Reply with quote

This thread should be pinned. It contains much useful information.

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971
KunkleMan

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: File Location in Windows 7 Reply with quote

Tried running the Golfer Utility as administrator-----also tried running it in compatibility mode (XP)----nothing worked. Guess I'll forget about changing the clubs before I mess something else up and have greater problems. I do appreciate all of your help.

PS: Looked in Virtual Store, it wasn't there.

loner
Links Corner Admin
Links Corner Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: File Location in Windows 7 Reply with quote

Here you are.

http://www.linkscountryclub.com/golfer-utility

Armand

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: File Locations Spreadsheet Reply with quote

Recently, I saw another request where someone couldn't find their Links-related files. I've had an idea for a couple of years now, but finally acted on it - I created a spreadsheet that will report the folder locations for Links-related files based on your operating system, CPU architecture, the installation media, and whether the game is run with administrative privileges. The only problem is, I am unable to confirm all of the locations since I don't have all the operating systems and I haven't convinced myself I should uninstall my games and re-install them so I can run without administrative privileges. I would like people's feedback on the spreadsheet and (mainly) its accuracy. You can find the spreadsheet here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uH77gHH6bNK-ezdCXGwN-tJd9ecrVpwv4h1rsJ_CmRM/edit?usp=sharing
** Updated link on 25-Apr-2015 to v1.1 **

I believe the filters can be used by anyone with that link, so it's simply choose the options within the yellow cells and then the file path is output below. This is a work in progress, so please report any errors back via PM, email or in the forum.

I'm not sure how much I'll visit in 2016, as Perfect Golf is the only golf game I'm playing on the computer....
grandpabruce

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:38 am    Post subject: File Location in Windows 7 Reply with quote

Acrilix wrote:

ProgramData is hidden by default. You need to 'show hidden files, folders, and drives' in control panel's folder options.

In Windows 7, how do you show hidden files. I am pretty new to Win 7 I am sad to say.

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971
s004gv1

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: File Location in Windows 7 Reply with quote

In control Panel - Aspect & Personalize( I'm translating from Spanish, so I don't Know how accurate it is) - Folder Options and you see an option to show hidden files it opens a window with a row of options, you must check the show hidden files folders and disks.

hope it helps you in spite of my bad english.

JM

JWGriffinGCA

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: File Location in Windows 7 Reply with quote

grandpabruce wrote:
Acrilix wrote:

In Windows 7, how do you show hidden files. I am pretty new to Win 7 I am sad to say.

Bruce - open a File explorer window. Click on Organize on the menu bar, then click on "Folder and Search Options". New dialog box opens, click on View tab, then tick the box for "Show hidden files, folders or drives."

Just to clarify JM's instructions, you can also get there from Control Panel -- Appearance & Personalization -- Folder Options.

John

When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me! -Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz
View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Members Tech Forums All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Swing hard in case you hit it. - Dan Marino