Please support Links Corner    

A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom. ~ Henry Beard
PS swing weird shot problems View older topic :: View newer topic  
Goldwinger

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: PS swing weird shot problems Reply with quote

Hi, has anybody else had problems with strange shots when playing PS swing? I play Elite and over the last few weeks I've been getting quite a lot of problems where I aim at say the left edge of the fairway at 280 yds with a gentle left to right wind. I hit my typical straight path, 1 open, 118mph and the ball goes violently right with a massive slice. So I take a mullie, leave aim the same, hit a straight and square 117 mph shot which then goes 50 yds left with a huge hook. I've tried uninstalling/ re installing Links, checked mouse drivers and even resorted to trying a Pro player but I still get the same problems? Any advice would be gratefully received. Ian ( HH Bilbad)

Nick1974

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: PS swing weird shot problems Reply with quote

Do you have the same problems with classic swing that you have with power swing? Do you release the club near 6 clock?

The light wind from left to right will exaggerate your slice somewhat while straightening out your hook. The longer your backswing, the more exaggerated mishits become. I tend to stop it at 12 clock all the time.

langle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: PS swing weird shot problems Reply with quote

Goldwinger wrote:
Hi, has anybody else had problems with strange shots when playing PS swing? I play Elite and over the last few weeks I've been getting quite a lot of problems where I aim at say the left edge of the fairway at 280 yds with a gentle left to right wind. I hit my typical straight path, 1 open, 118mph and the ball goes violently right with a massive slice. So I take a mullie, leave aim the same, hit a straight and square 117 mph shot which then goes 50 yds left with a huge hook. I've tried uninstalling/ re installing Links, checked mouse drivers and even resorted to trying a Pro player but I still get the same problems? Any advice would be gratefully received. Ian ( HH Bilbad)

Some things that come to mind: is the clubhead displayed post shot with the ball in the middle of the club, or is it on the toe or heal? I have had the clubhead jump up or down during the swing, especially when I overswing (either too much backswing or moving the mouse too rapidly). Another thing to check is the mouse itself, I would use a can of air and blow out the hole where the laser comes out to make sure a hair has not lodged in there. Finally, make sure your mouse adjustments have not changed in the game, in windows and in your mouse driver software.

Heavy Swinger
apcd-courses OWGC player
Jimbo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: PS swing weird shot problems Reply with quote

At the risk of adding a little Christmas Cheer, I'd say that the more weird shots you get, the more realistic the game, right? Wall Bash Wall Bash Whistle

MimicPS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: PS swing weird shot problems Reply with quote

Having taken a look online with Ian, the swing-plane was showing as you would expect (no heel or toe shots) and I asked him todouble-check that there was nothing contaminating the laser lens which can introduce wild inconsistencies, but which would normally show up in how the swing has been interpreted

Ian and I did a bit of testing after an attempted fix. I advised him to reinstall the game from the download file, but then to do the updates in order... i.e. 1.02 to 1.05, then 1.05 to 1.07.

It seemed to provide an answer, having played through 14 holes without the problem reoccurring. Time will tell if it is the complete fix, as Ian needs to test it in other situations where he found it was happening more frequently.

So, long story short... it may be that another issue that an update straight from 1.02 to 1.07 produces is difficulties with the PS swing.
I'll make sure either Ian or I posts back to give a further update on whether the fix remains good.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Goldwinger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Problem solved, but not really........... Reply with quote

After many hours of un-installing/re-installing Links, rebooting every time in between, doing the same with any mouse/graphics drivers,over a 6 week period, I gave up and bought a new PC. Now running Win 8.1. No problems loading or running the game BUT, my PS Elite days are over as I can't get a consistent swing. I've spent about 40 hours so far changing dpi on both axis, windows mouse settings, in game sensitivity and even mouse polling rate but the best I can do is play pro at a very average level.
I'm happy to be playing links again and will continue to explore every avenue to find a solution. I will report here if I achieve anything. Many thanks to Mimic for taking the time to play with me to see the problem for himself and all his suggestions for a remedy.
Ian
Bilbad

Stephen Sullivan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: PS swing weird shot problems Reply with quote

From my many years of play PS Champ, I have found that it does not like any of the new laser gaming mice I have tried.

Optical ones do seem to work though. My favourite mouse was the Logitech MX310, but I have been unable to use that since I installed Windows 7 in 2009 as it didn't have a supporting driver and wouldn't work the same with just a standard driver.

My current mouse is the Razer Salmosa which is OK but doesn't give me the consistent snap I use to have Wall Bash

I have also found a plain black mouse mat helps, though I haven't been able to get the slightly thicker ones I prefer and have had to resort to sticking a thinner one on top of an old mat I had.

Seem to get mostly blue line swings on all shots, except the occasional 1 or 2 in/out or out/in on putts and chips if the angle of the mouse is slightly wrong or my hand twists slightly Whistle

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." Sir Terry Pratchett
Goldwinger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: PS swing weird shot problems Reply with quote

After a very frustrating 6 months in which I replaced my PC, bought a replacement mouse (same model) and reinstalled the game about 20 times, I found the problem. I bought a Razer Taipai mouse and after a few hours getting it set up, everything works correctly. I then switched back to the (new) old mouse and my first drive hooked 60 yards left, off a perfect swing! So it wasn't the mouse software it was the bloody mouse it's self.Yes, BOTH of them..........An expensive learning curve but at least I can play Elite again. Thanks everyone for your advice/suggestions
Ian
(Bilbad/Bilbo)

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Mulligan: invented by an Irishman who wanted to hit one more twenty yard grounder. -Jim Bishop