Please support Links Corner    

New to Links? Buy Links 2003 download version here and support this site.
Golfer Shirt Tutorial submitted by El Tee View older topic :: View newer topic  
IanD
LC Past President

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:22 pm    Post subject: Golfer Shirt Tutorial submitted by El Tee Reply with quote

My Background

First of all Iíd like to point out that Iíve been in the printing business for the past 16 years, so Iíve always seen color as CMYK rather than RGB. Thatís why I convert from RGB to CMYK and than back to RGB once the shirts are done.

So why donít I switch to RGB you may ask yourself. Well, isnít not that easy as it might seem as they work entirely different. The more color you add in RGB the brighter the color will be, but in CMYK the color will be darker. Also if I want a color more bluish in CMYK all I have to do is add Cyan while in RGB I would probably have to use less Red and Green.

To figure out how to use RGB colors would take so much time for me that Iíd rather stick with the CMYK color space.

Besides Iím also used to doing color corrections and retouching in CMYK, so I know which tool to use in different situations.

Iím using Photoshop to do my shirts, but hopefully youíll be able to follow my steps here and do find the same commands in your own photo editing software.
OK, now letís get started.

The shirts Iíve done so far have all been modelled after real shirts since Iíve done a couple of football team themes. To start with I have visited the teams homepages and downloaded images of the shirts that they sell. I have also tried to download various logos to use on these shirts.

El Tee

What Goes Where ?

Well thatís the first problem I encountered when I started out trying to do a shirt. Doing a single color shirt is no big deal. All you have to do is select the entire image and edit the color (more on this later), and if you want to edit the color of the sleeves they are quite easy to find. But what about the collar? Where can I find the part of the TGA that determines what color the collar will have?

The first shirt I did was a maroonish shirt with a beige stripe, but for some reason part of the collar became beige too and I couldnít understand why, so I posted a question on the Forums at Links Corner and was informed by Mark Hulka that it wasnít possible to edit the color of the collar as the entire shirt was rendered from the same TGA.

Since part of my collar had a different color than the rest I felt that there had to be a way of doing it, but how could I find it?

Another problem I was faced with was knowing which part of the TGA was the front and the back of the shirt, so I decided to try to find out methodically.

I started out selecting the leftmost part of the TGA and selected an area 10 pixels wide and made it blue, saved the TGA and added it to the animation I had selected. In Links I noticed that the blue area was located underneath the players right arm, so I went back to Photoshop (my photo editing software) and added another 10 pixels to the right of the previously colored area, saved, added and went back to Links where I noticed that the blue area now stretched towards the back of the player.

I repeated this procedure for a while until I reached the players left side when I noticed that part of the collar now started to have the same blue color. Aha... I thought... hereís the secret part that Iíve been looking for... perhaps the last part I added determines what color is added to the collar, so I go back to Photoshop and undo the last color addition I made. Saved, added and went back to Links. Hey, the collar is back to normal, but I lost part of the back too.

Hmmm, could it be the only a part of the section I undid is the collar?

I went back and started add color from the bottom up and sure enough, when I reached a certain part of the image the collar started to change color. But wait a second, only part of the collar change when I apply color to the section that I found belong to the collar... That must mean that thereís another part of the TGA that decide what color is added to the rest of the collar.

The back portion of the shirt had been found as well as the right-hand side of the collar, so I decided to change color so I could see clearly what went where as I continued adding color to the TGA. As I continued I noticed that the left-hand side of the collar was located pretty close to the right-hand side in the TGA and since I knew the size of the right-hand side it was pretty easy to select and area the same size and color it in another color.

As I went back to Links I noticed that the mid section of the collar was in the same color as the front of the shirt I realized that there had to be a third area that determined the color of the mid-section of the collar too, and I found it right below the left-hand part of the collar.

I decided to save this multicolored image and use it as a template for creating shirts. This image has been posted on the Forum a couple of times, but for some reason it doesnít seem to work for some users, although it does work for me when editing TGAís that I receive from these users. Itís an unsolved mystery at the moment.

How Do I Do A Shirt ?

Well, knowing which part goes where on the shirt is a good start, as that means that I can now to most shirts without any problem.

Open up the Golfer Utility and select the animation youíd like to customize. Extract a couple of shirts and open these up in Photoshop.

I always try to find a white shirt as itís a lot easier doing a red shirt from a white shirt than a green shirt (at least thatís my experience from six years of color retouching at work).

So what do I do if I canít find a white shirt looking like the one I want to do?
Well, there are two ways you can go about it.

1. Change the mode of the image from RGB to Grayscale, getting rid of all color, and then back to RGB. Then adjust the curves so that the brightest parts of the shirt is around 1-2 %. Make sure that you still have contrast in the texture though.

2. Adjust the Hue/Saturation of the shirt by setting Saturation at -100& and then increase the lightness until you have a bright enough image to use.

Open the image of the shirt you want to replicate.

Use the Eyedropper tool and make notes of the color readings found in the info tab.

Select the entire image and paste it into the shirt that you extracted from the animation.

Resize the pasted image until the height is the same as the TGA file.

Now you know where that stripe goes in your replica.

Open the shirt template and select the entire image and past it as a separate layer. I usually alter the Opacity to around 50% to I can see the the shirt through the template layer.

Select the shirt layer (the shirt youíre modifying) and region select the area that you want to edit.

Here is where I change to image into CMYK.

Now go to Layers - New Adjustment Layer and select curves.

Use the eyedropper tool and Shift - Click to set a couple of color samples. I usually set at least three different samples. Bright, midtone and shadow.

Select the Cyan channel and click in the bottom left corner and move the box at the bottom of the curve up the Y-axis until your color samples start closing in on your target value. Repeat the procedure for Magenta, Yellow and Black.

Now click OK and save your file as a Photoshop document keeping the layers so you can come back and alter things if need be.

Now go to the Layers tab and make sure only the layers that make up the shirt are visible and then click on the arrow in the top right-hand corner and select Flatten Image.

Select to Discard hidden layers.

Now change the image back to RGB and save as a TGA file.

Add the TGA to your animation and go have a look at it in Links.

Looks good, but the stripe is not in the proper place.

Ok, no worries. Go back to Photoshop and open the layered image (Photoshop document).

Select the layer containing the stripe you want to edit. Now click on the Channels tab and at the bottom youíll find a channel called Curves 1 Mask. Make that layer visible and deselect the CMYK layer. Now you should see a black and white image with the stripe you did in white and the rest of the area black.

You can edit the mask in a couple of ways, region selecting and filling or using the pen tool and the eraser and so on.

Once done simple select the CMYK channel and deselect the mask layer and youíll see the shirt again.

Save as a Photoshop document and then flatten the image discarding the hidden layers, switch back to RGB and save as a TGA file again. Add the TGA to your animation and go back to Links.

If your computer have enough RAM you should be able to switch between Photoshop, the Golfer Utility and Links using the Alt+Tab. That way you donít have to exit Links and restart it everytime you want to do/see changes to your shirt. Besides, the animation is updated automatically in Links as long as youíre saving you TGA with the same name.
If youíre doing a shirt that requires more than one Adjustment layer make sure that the masks donít overlap or youíll see some strange results.

The best way of making sure is to use the Magic Wand Tool with feathering set to 0 pixels and region select the white areas in one mask and then switch over to the other mask and fill that area with black.

I hope that this will give you some understanding on how to edit your shirts.

Shirt Help

Shirt configuration, remember though, all details added should be mirrored to appear readable in the game itself.

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Designers Corner All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

These damn Axis weapons don't work! - Sgt Sneaky Bastage AKA Axe R.I.P.