Please support Links Corner    

Want to play Links again but lost your CDs? Buy Links 2003 download version here and support this site.
Royal Kenya Country ClubGoto page 1, 2  Next View older topic :: View newer topic  

How do you rate Royal Kenya Country Club ?
Ace
76%
 76%  [ 71 ]
Eagle
18%
 18%  [ 17 ]
Birdie
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
Par
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Bogey - Must be accompanied by an explanatory post!
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 93

Andy
Links Corner Admin
Links Corner Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Royal Kenya Country Club Reply with quote

http://linkscorner.org/courses/course.php?crz=1976

What do you think of Royal Kenya Country Club ?

Please vote in the poll.

After you vote, please leave a few comments or some feedback for the designer about his course and why you voted the way you did.

Thanks

Last edited by Andy on Wed May 25, 2011 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total

ousgg
Links Corner Staff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Royal Kenya Country Club Reply with quote

Flawless technical work from MJ of course (although a few of the creek textures don't look right from reverse angle), but it does bring home the differences between reconstructing a real course and designing a fictional one from the ground upwards. Part of the reason the community worships MJ is his fabulous, unparalleled course design, and it's evident at Royal Kenya that this just isn't present. It's a perfectly amicable course, and there's a standout hole or two (I particularly like the tenth), but it doesn't really feel very African (not that I have massive experience in African courses) - in fact I had the nagging impression that I was just outside Leeds for much of it.

It's an Eagle, not for any technical weaknesses, but because if it came down to straight choice between playing this and Rugged Dune, or Burns Old Links (or Pacific Breaks, Cara Brae or any of the others), I wouldn't be choosing Royal Kenya.

~~If you're afraid that your full shot might reach the green while the foursome ahead of you is still putting, you have two options: you may immediately shank a lay-up, or you can wait until the green is clear and then top a ball halfway there.~~
rabyman2000

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Royal Kenya Country Club Reply with quote

Ace for me. Clap
Peter

JWGriffinGCA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Royal Kenya Country Club Reply with quote

Played four rounds over Royal Kenya recently at APCD Tour.

You have to keep in mind this is a real course, therefore any discussion regarding whether this hole or that hole isn't very good can't really be directed at Mike Jones - maybe you should write Greg Norman instead! Laugh But in that regard, I did think it was a good change of pace - the wider fairways than we're normally used to playing certainly helped my driving stats, but I felt it offered a decent variety of strategic options to keep a Links round entertaining. Mike indicated that he did most of the green contouring for the Links version, and I certainly think he did a good job there with plenty of challenge to compensate for the generous fairways. This is by no means a pushover, especially as the condition settings start creeping up in firmness & speed.

I thought the pano, textures, and plantings were all well done and combined to offer an immersive environment - I've never been to Africa but it seemed convincing enough to me! Dr. Rob's clubhouse is a stunning addition that deservedly makes several prominent appearances throughout the round.

Royal Kenya really can't be fairly compared to Mike's fictional offerings, but it shows the same high attention to technical details for which Mike has set the standard.

Gut feel says borderline Eagle/Ace but gave the nod to Ace after reflecting on the overall package of reasonable challenge, a good "fun factor," and technical excellence.

Thanks for your efforts to release this for public play, Mike. Thumb Up

John

When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me! -Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz
Jerry Garlisch
Course Manager

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Royal Kenya Country Club Reply with quote

An Ace for me to Mike's latest course.

John says it all in his post. Can't add anything to it. Thumb Up

Jerry

God grant me the SERENITY to accept the shots I miss, the COURAGE to never give up and the WISDOM not to throw away my clubs in the water.

KISS Tours www.kisstours.com

Links Corner Course Manager
dazedcat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Royal Kenya Country Club Reply with quote

Ace here, like any MJ course is.

Regards;

"Yo, bartender, Jobu needs a refill." -- Eddie Harris
mwalimu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Royal Kenya Country Club Reply with quote

I was teetering between Eagle and Ace on this course. As another commenter pointed out, it doesn't have as much of the the look and feel of being African as I would have expected. In the end I decided that wasn't a reason to score it lower. African or not, the scenery is nice, it's a challenging but not overly difficult course to play, and as others have discussed it is based on a real course which doesn't allow the same flexibility as a fictional course. Ace.

Sparky_69

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject: Royal Kenya Country Club Reply with quote

I've never rated a Mike Jones course anything other than an ace before, and I'm sure not about to now.

So many thanks MJ, for a really great treat. A fun and very unique round of golf, coupled together with your amazing talents with the APCD.

Cheers Cheers

drrobmiller

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Royal Kenya Country Club Reply with quote

Nothing but ace.

I saw this course along time ago, then played it again before mike upgraded it. The second go around I emailed him and mentioned that it,s probably the most natural realistic course I've ever seen in links.

I was delighted to find out he was about to upgrade and release it and was honored to build the clubhouse.

Play it again and you will see how the course looks like a photograph...

AceOrooooony!

Rob

olazaboll

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Royal Kenya Country Club Reply with quote

Very nice to see an IRL course from Mike. I really enjoyed playing it, and the APCD techniques are as good as on any other MJ course.

This course goes to my personal top 10 list of MJ-Courses, but not the Top 5 list.

That doesn't prevent me from voting a deservable ACE Thumb Up

Adam
Kilner
R.I.P
"....... our Great Hero"
stillgolfing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Royal Kenya Country Club Reply with quote

I have to agree with the others here that I expected more from the course, but technically Mike has given his all and the textures and detail are great. Also he has generously provided it here for free. I would definitely want it in my top 50 and that is certainly well in Ace territory.
Thanks, stillgolfing

One phrase you don't want to yell out in public is "I've got diahrea!". Unless, of course, you are playing Scrabble. In which case it's O.K., 'cause you're gonna get a sh*t load of points! - Zach Galifianakis
Crusader

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Royal Kenya Country Club Reply with quote

interesting - i put this down as a fictional course given the file wording is that it is based on a real course in Kenya rather than being an actual replication - maybe Mike can enlighten us as to whether its a close replica or a fictional interpretation

Latsop

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Royal Kenya Country Club Reply with quote

Another great course and easy Ace from MJ...Thanks! Not Worthy Not Worthy Not Worthy Not Worthy Not Worthy

They can because they think they can...Virgil
Those who can do,those who understand teach...Aristotle
guitarget

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Royal Kenya Country Club Reply with quote

I simply can't imagine a Mike Jones course that wasn't an Ace. Clap

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst." - Sam Snead
stillgolfing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Royal Kenya Country Club Reply with quote

Crusader wrote:
interesting - i put this down as a fictional course given the file wording is that it is based on a real course in Kenya rather than being an actual replication - maybe Mike can enlighten us as to whether its a close replica or a fictional interpretation

I think you are correct. I was confusing Mike's course with comments related to another African course that was released recently.
Cheers, stillgolfing

One phrase you don't want to yell out in public is "I've got diahrea!". Unless, of course, you are playing Scrabble. In which case it's O.K., 'cause you're gonna get a sh*t load of points! - Zach Galifianakis
mhammer113

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Royal Kenya Country Club Reply with quote

Whoever put this course as a bogey or worse is an absolute DONKEY!!!!

paulnson

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Royal Kenya Country Club Reply with quote

mhammer113 wrote:
Whoever put this course as a bogey or worse is an absolute DONKEY!!!!

Actually.....

You have not made it as a designer unless you release a course that more than most players think is a very, very good course and someone decides to vote bogey or worse for it....

I count an unreasonably negative vote as a double ace because I feel I have made a course so good that I pi$$ed someone off so badly with the design that they decided to vote that way.....

You could also take offence, but hey.... What does that achieve?... Just look at it my way.. I'm sure Mike does... Laugh

Thumb Up

The people who have the best of things are those that make the best of things.
big stewart

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Royal Kenya Country Club Reply with quote

Laugh Laugh Laugh

Stewart . Location Cumbernauld . North Lanarkshire . Scotland.
OOB22

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Royal Kenya Country Club Reply with quote

Always an ace, nice generous fairways.
Pat
Group wave

Golf is a day spent in a round of strenuous idleness.
djprager

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Royal Kenya Country Club Reply with quote

I voted ace, par 4 (but not ace, par 5 Naughty ). Technically the course is flawless. Also, the greens are fantastic, especially for a real course. This course is a great tutorial on how to build interesting and challenging greens without resorting to ridiculous slopes and contours.

From a golfing perspective, the weakest aspect of the course is off of the tee. Most fairways are wide and easy to hit, and they offer no real options with the tee shot. I hit a straight driver off of every tee and did not miss a fairway the entire round; nice, but too easy. Also, I thought more could have been made of the Kenya theme. Aside from a couple of wild animals this course could be set in England or the American midwest best I could tell Geek .

Despite the weaknesses, this is still an ace of a course, one that I will be playing many more times in the near future. Thanks to Mr. Jones for the time and effort to build and release this course. Clap

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Course Polls & User Reviews All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

New to Links? Buy Links 2003 download version here and support this site.