Please support Links Corner    

Want to play Links again but lost your CDs? Buy Links 2003 download version here and support this site.
Pine Valley Golf ClubGoto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next View older topic :: View newer topic  

How do you rate Pine Valley Golf Club?
Ace
90%
 90%  [ 130 ]
Eagle
8%
 8%  [ 12 ]
Birdie
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Par
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Bogey - Must be accompanied by an explanatory post!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 144

ousgg
Links Corner Staff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Pine Valley Golf Club Reply with quote

Yeah, Par is the new Bogey, isn't it? Laugh

~~If you're afraid that your full shot might reach the green while the foursome ahead of you is still putting, you have two options: you may immediately shank a lay-up, or you can wait until the green is clear and then top a ball halfway there.~~
olazaboll

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Pine Valley Golf Club Reply with quote

Mr Mulligan wrote:
Whistle

Yeah, but what about a PAR vote?

I do NOT respect that vote Laugh

Adam
Kilner
R.I.P
"....... our Great Hero"
jasonanne

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Pine Valley Golf Club Reply with quote

Sorry Fellas But I fail to see what is wrong with any Vote actually! The polls are here for a reason and if someone wants to vote Bogey or what ever then they are entitled to with out prejudice! Otherwise why bother even having polls if all all are expected to vote for what the majority wants them to vote!

At the end of the day as a Designer myself and am more then happy to have a Bogey vote against me as long as there are some feed back as well for the designer to work on!

Thumb Up Cheers Jason

Cheer Jason

Real golfers don't cry when they line up their fourth putt. - Anon

http://crzbuilders.blogspot.com/
http://apcdkauri.blogspot.com/
olazaboll

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Pine Valley Golf Club by Robert Miller Reply with quote

Andy wrote:

After you vote, please leave a few comments or some feedback for the designer about his course and why you voted the way you did.

Thanks

I agree with you Jason, but as Andys writes above .... I think if you go aginst the stream you can post why, and dont hide under your bed like most bogey voters do on the "knock out"-courses. If you hide under the bed, I see the bogey-votes been laid just to pi$$ people off ....

Adam
Kilner
R.I.P
"....... our Great Hero"
Latsop

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Pine Valley Golf Club Reply with quote

About as real as it gets Doc... Not Worthy Not Worthy Not Worthy Not Worthy Not Worthy

They can because they think they can...Virgil
Those who can do,those who understand teach...Aristotle
Swoosh2k4

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:14 am    Post subject: Pine Valley Golf Club Reply with quote

Having been able to play Pine Valley once in real life, this is an amazing recreation of an amazing course. For me, this is the best free links course available, bar none.

Someone commented earlier that the course, either in reality or in links is gimmicky. I wholeheartedly disagree. It is tough in real life (no so much so in links) sure, but it is a golf course for real golfers, not people who run around whacking a ball without any knowledge of where it'll end up. For a true golfer there is no better way to test every aspect of your game.

~Ben

Ben
Real Golf Low Score: 72
Lehigh University Class of 2010
I'm addicted to golf.
Colin Rommel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Pine Valley Golf Club Reply with quote

Acrilix wrote:
This is an Ace course design. It doesn't really matter what people vote, does it? Dunno
You can't fault the production. Clap
Yes, you can argue that the course is not the most enjoyable to play. I'm not sure I'll ever rate this course as particularly wonderful to play!
But, as a Links creation, this is up there with the very best, (if not the VERY best!) and anything less than an Ace is really the vote of someone with a less than open mind (IMO)!! How can this not be in the top 10% of courses released?
Group wave

I agree Acrilix. I had heard so much about Pine Valley, with it being top of the world's 100 best courses list for such a long time etc that I thought this must be another Augusta, or a Pebble Beach or a Turnberry. I was disappointed though and in my opinion it's really nothing special at all - as a golf course that is. .

As for the quality of the Links design though and all the hard work that quite obviously went in to creating it - top notch. Thumb Up

So I gave it an ace.

Lady Nancy Astor: "Winston, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea."
Churchill: "Nancy, if you were my wife, I'd drink it."
ousgg
Links Corner Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Pine Valley Golf Club Reply with quote

Interesting points of view, there. I frankly found Pine Valley absolutely enthralling to play, which I couldn't say about one-trick-pony.

Different strokes for different folks, eh? About five strokes a round more than anyone else in my case. Laugh

~~If you're afraid that your full shot might reach the green while the foursome ahead of you is still putting, you have two options: you may immediately shank a lay-up, or you can wait until the green is clear and then top a ball halfway there.~~
ww2marine

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Pine Valley Golf Club Reply with quote

I voted an ace. I am also confused as to the reasons for voting less than an ace. My vote is to the designer for the accuracy of the course. Somone voted les than an ace because he didn't like the corse in general. What does that have to do with Dr. Rob's rendition of this course? If you don't think the designer did an adequate job then I can see voting for less than an ace. Why vote at all if you don't like the course.

Just my opinion.

Bob,

Ride, ride the carousel
Reach for the golden ring
Never to end but to begin again
Life is a circular thing
ousgg
Links Corner Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Pine Valley Golf Club Reply with quote

Er...for anyone confused about 'one-trick-pony' in my last post, it was supposed to say 'Pinehurst' at the end. Erm

Acrilix

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject: Pine Valley Golf Club Reply with quote

ousgg wrote:
Er...for anyone confused about 'one-trick-pony' in my last post, it was supposed to say 'Pinehurst' at the end. Erm

I was confused! Wacko ..... and always am!!! Laugh
....but I would choose Pinehurst over Pine Valley any day!!!! Thumb Up Thumb Up
That's definitely the horse I would rather ride!!!!! Laugh
Not all of us are connersoors! Devil

Mod 1.07 - Pro powerstroke - No top cam - No grid
APCD Designer - Margaret's Bay, Ackerton Cross, The Dustin Trophy Par 3 Challenge, Battley Peak, Anakena Beach, Mowsbury GC, Darwin Point, Elsham Woods,
Yarlswood Golf Club, Fairview GC, Upham Hall Golf Club, Masson Moor, Zeitsbergen
Nate Dogg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject: Pine Valley Golf Club Reply with quote

Personally, I think the whole "why do people vote the way they do?" issue is blown out of proportion. Seriously, who cares if the occasional spiteful jerk votes down a course? Yes it's annoying but hey, some people apparently don't understand the advanced designing techniques obviously demonstrated in this course, or they may simply have an outlying opinion and don't wish to go against the grain - post on unpopular opinion anywhere and expect to get some heat. I think that if someone doesn't like a course, for whatever reason, at least a PM or email to the designer is the courteous thing to do, if they don't want to wish to post in public, but not everyone thinks to do that. With this said, I think we are all entitled to our own opinions, even if we totally disagree with others. Different strokes for different folks I guess (pardon the pun). Thumb Up

Champ Classic, No Grid, Close-up, Top Cam Only

It takes a lot of balls to golf like I do!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
djprager

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Pine Valley Golf Club Reply with quote

I voted ace, of course. I cannot imagine the skill and patience it takes to build all of the sand areas on this course. Many thanks to Dr. Rob for another fabulous course. Clap

doswoosh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Amazing Reply with quote

Dr Rob you have done it again! Not Worthy

corbes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:09 am    Post subject: Pine Valley Golf Club Reply with quote

It looks and plays amazing. I'm really enjoying the challenge of finding the right angle off the tee to play into the various greens. And the designer's work in rendering the course is outstanding.

wolfman

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Pine Valley Golf Club by Robert Miller Reply with quote

I can't imagine who could give this fantastic course a par vote Dunno Ace all the way Rob, great job. Clap

gorlaf

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject: Pine Valley Reply with quote

To judge the APCD work as a player, this is one of the best out there. I have never used the APCD myself, but looking at the visuals and from reading about the course, the course designer replicated the real life beauty of the course. As a Links player, I will admit I got tired of not using my driver every hole, but that made me focus on my layup point and my swing meter, which is not a bad thing Tongue I gave it an Ace still, seeing the work the Links designer did to make it feel realstic.

broomer

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Pine Valley Golf Club Reply with quote

I PM'd the good Doctor that Pine Valley was the 4th course of his I D/L'd and his stuff was The Driving Force for me getting back into LINKS2003 of late

I had never heard of this Pine Valley, but after *playing* it, Dr. Miller-style, and reading about it HERE it is one of my faves

I particularly was taken by reading that

Quote:
"......This was (George Arthur) Crump's first and only golf course design, and he set himself some idiosyncratic principles: no hole should be laid out parallel to the next; no more than two consecutive holes should play in the same direction; and players shouldn't be able to see any hole other than the one they were playing. He also felt that a round of golf on his course should require a player to use every club in the bag......"

although most of time *playing* it is in HERE

and HERE

I mean how can you NOT LOVE the artistry this Dr.-guy delivers

TYVM Doc --- 4 ACEs Rules

wizard

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:56 am    Post subject: Pine Valley Golf Club Reply with quote

Ace. In my opinion the best real course ever made.

Maximus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Pine Valley Golf Club Reply with quote

wizard wrote:
Ace. In my opinion the best real course ever made.

That is also my opinion.

After playing it more times than I can count, it has become my personal favorite among all Links golf courses.

Thank you Rob for providing us with this gem. Clap

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Course Polls & User Reviews All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

If I were you, I'd lay off for a couple of weeks...and then quit. - Jimmy Demaret to Johnny Carson