Please support Links Corner    

Golf is a fascinating game. It has taken me nearly forty years to discover that I can't play it. ~Ted Ray
Windows 7/nVidia Patch - Get it hereGoto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next View older topic :: View newer topic  
MarkHulka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Windows 7/nVidia Patch - Get it here Reply with quote

Here's the patch. It is intended for the Windows 7/nVidia crashing problem. However, it could help with other video cards if you're crashing during rendering - it's worth a shot anyway. It doesn't change the version number of the game, doesn't change recorded games, multiplayer, etc. It just fixeds that one crash.

http://www.lspn.net/downloads/Links2k3_nvidia_win7.exe

Mark

michaelst

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Windows 7/nVidia Patch - Get it here Reply with quote

Mark...

I downloaded it and double clicked. It says its not a valid win32 application.

Any suggestions?

MarkHulka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Windows 7/nVidia Patch - Get it here Reply with quote

It probably didn't fully download. Try it again. The filesize should be 2.20MB after downloading.

Mark

Daniel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Windows 7/nVidia Patch - Get it here Reply with quote

You do not click on it you put the Links icon in your game folder and overwrite the one that is there.

tomk2542

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Nvidia fix Reply with quote

I believe you do click on it, Mark made it an installer file. At least that's how I installed it, after he got the error message. My guess is, he didn't download all of it or it was corrupted on the download.

There's a quote from the Tet 68 attack that was on a MP's lighter & it read:

"You have never lived
Until you have almost died
For those who fight for it
Life has a flavor the "protected" will never know."

Vietnam Vet
Dec66 - March69
MarkHulka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows 7/nVidia Patch - Get it here Reply with quote

Daniel wrote:
You do not click on it you put the Links icon in your game folder and overwrite the one that is there.

I made an installer for it so it would be easier for people to use. So after downloading you do have to run it.

Mark

michaelst

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Windows 7/nVidia Patch - Get it here Reply with quote

Mark...

It was a bad download. I took me 3 times before I got one that worked.

Once there, I double clicked to run it. I saw the install page and completed the install.

Unfortunately, the first course I tried, Oakland Hills, bombed after 3 shots. I try other courses to be sure.

I'm running a GTX260 with 197.13 drivers.

BTW, is there an 'uninstaller'?

MarkHulka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Windows 7/nVidia Patch - Get it here Reply with quote

No uninstaller. You would just need to reinstall v1.07. That's something I forgot to mention. This patch is only for v1.07.

Also, did the patch install into the proper directory? Make sure the path to links is correct when you install it.

Mark

michaelst

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Windows 7/nVidia Patch - Get it here Reply with quote

I reinstalled the patch (to the correct directory this time, D'Oh!) and have been able to play 18 on 3 courses that didn't even open before.

so far so good.

Excellent work, mark.

scornduffer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Patch doesn't work need help! Reply with quote

MarkHulka wrote:
No uninstaller. You would just need to reinstall v1.07. That's something I forgot to mention. This patch is only for v1.07.

Also, did the patch install into the proper directory? Make sure the path to links is correct when you install it.

Mark

Mark I installed the latest Nvidia driver197.13 and then rebooted computer, then I installed the patch and played one hole and the program closed. Any suggestions?
Windows 7, BFG 9800 GTX + 1 gig, Quad Core 8400, 4 gig ddr 1066 memory.
Also cannot get display in game above 1024 by 968 with a 23 inch monitor. The registry shows 12 and 14 but reverts back to less than 800 by 600 and then I change it to 12 and that leads to a display of 1024 by 968. Any suggestions?

Thanks for all your hard work Mark.

MikeJ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Windows 7/nVidia Patch - Get it here Reply with quote

So far no crashes using the patch on courses that previously crashed. I did see some corruption in the water with the default windows nvidea drivers but that seems to have gone now with the 196 drivers. I'm now testing AA and AF.

I'll test further and report back.

Great job Mark! Clap

http://www.3dgolfdesign.com

http://perfectparallel.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Billy Canuck

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject: Windows 7/nVidia Patch - Get it here Reply with quote

Mark:
Thank you - Thank you - Thank you.
I purchased a new laptop with an ATI processor so that I could play Links again with Win 7. I had 14 days in which I can return it. Just checked this site today, in case something had developed, and there was your patch. I downloaded it and installed it in my NVidia laptop. Opened Links and made one swing and it crashed. So, I reinstalled the patch, and have been playing with no problem ever since.
I can now return the new laptop. You saved me $1000.00 + tax, and I'm forever grateful. You certainly came to my rescue.
So, thank you again for all you do for us Linksters.
Bill. Clap

SH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Excellent! Reply with quote

A million thank-yous!

A side note: I gave up and began playing the Tiger Woods Online beta about a month ago and it really made me think how foolish MS was to sell off the Links franchise and let it die.

Why you ask? They did that when the Xbox360 was just around the corner and, in my opinion, Links woulda put the TW golf game franchise out of business if they released a killer update on the 360 & PC in 2005 or 2006. The video golf landscape might be alot different now.

PCS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Windows 7/nVidia Patch - Get it here Reply with quote

Another boatload of thanks Mark.

I have a laptop fitted with an nVidia 8400M GS chip, which was crashing continuously.

I have installed the patch, and ran it with both the older 195.62, and newer 197.16 drivers - no crashes after about 30 different courses.

I am getting the water problem, but can certaily live with that.

Thanks again for the effort you have put in to cure this problem. I may just have to re-install nVidia to my main computer.

Peter

MikeJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:15 am    Post subject: Windows 7/nVidia Patch - Get it here Reply with quote

This needs a sticky Punk

http://www.3dgolfdesign.com

http://perfectparallel.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Kusaywa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:07 am    Post subject: Windows 7/nVidia Patch - Get it here Reply with quote

Have a little problem. Bay Hill (a convert from Links 99 LS) always crashes when teeing from the 10th hole. Always at the same time, after shot lands approximately 280 yds. onto the fairway, just after you OK shot. Crashes to desktop. So does Banff Springs (another old convert) on the 10th hole when getting ready to swing, but water to the right looks good.
Maybe we could start posting courses that work, so we can all try them, and keep a running tab? This problem was with both 197.13 & 196.21 drivers and this patch.

MarkHulka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Windows 7/nVidia Patch - Get it here Reply with quote

Kusaywa wrote:
Have a little problem. Bay Hill (a convert from Links 99 LS) always crashes when teeing from the 10th hole. Always at the same time, after shot lands approximately 280 yds. onto the fairway, just after you OK shot. Crashes to desktop. So does Banff Springs (another old convert) on the 10th hole when getting ready to swing, but water to the right looks good.
Maybe we could start posting courses that work, so we can all try them, and keep a running tab? This problem was with both 197.13 & 196.21 drivers and this patch.

Are you sure you installed the patch to the correct location? Make sure that LinksMMIII.exe in your Links 2003 folder has been recently modified.

Mark

MarkHulka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Windows 7/nVidia Patch - Get it here Reply with quote

Here's the final patch with the water fix.

http://www.lspn.net/downloads/Links2k3_nvidia_win7_FINAL.exe

I also made a small change to the display setting screen so it will show more and larger resolutions. There was a problem in Links with video cards with a large amount of memory. It was incorrectly getting the video memory size so Links didn't think you had enough video memory for the larger size resolutions. I found out one other thing. It only grabs the first 16 screen modes including 640x480 which would leave out a few of the very large modes. So I set the minimum screen size to 800x600 now.

Mark

tomk2542

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Windows 7/nVidia Patch - Get it here Reply with quote

MarkHulka wrote:
Here's the final patch with the water fix.

http://www.lspn.net/downloads/Links2k3_nvidia_win7_FINAL.exe

I also made a small change to the display setting screen so it will show more and larger resolutions. There was a problem in Links with video cards with a large amount of memory. It was incorrectly getting the video memory size so Links didn't think you had enough video memory for the larger size resolutions. I found out one other thing. It only grabs the first 16 screen modes including 640x480 which would leave out a few of the very large modes. So I set the minimum screen size to 800x600 now.

Mark

Thank you again Mark for the fix and your tireless effort to the community. Very much appreciated. Clap Clap Clap

Played Bay Hill where I had seen artifacts, but not with this fix. All is good.

There's a quote from the Tet 68 attack that was on a MP's lighter & it read:

"You have never lived
Until you have almost died
For those who fight for it
Life has a flavor the "protected" will never know."

Vietnam Vet
Dec66 - March69
SH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Windows 7/nVidia Patch - Get it here Reply with quote

Is there some way to edit VideoCard.txt so I can run my Asus EeePC at native 1024x600 on its intel graphics? Right now the only resolution it lets me run is 800x600.

Thx.

BTW, for netbook gaming (limited,that is) Links 2003 and Virtual Pool3 are the holy grail for me. I HATE SOLITAIRE! Tongue

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Members Tech Forums All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to:  

Your best shots in golf are your practice swing and the conceded putts. You'll never master the rest! - Lord Robertson