Please support Links Corner    

Want to play Links again but lost your CDs? Buy Links 2003 download version here and support this site.
Pilgrims Trails Golf Club by Mike JonesGoto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next View older topic :: View newer topic  

How do you rate Pilgrims Trails Golf Club?
Ace
88%
 88%  [ 154 ]
Eagle
7%
 7%  [ 13 ]
Birdie
2%
 2%  [ 4 ]
Par
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Bogey - Must be accompanied by an explanatory post!
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 175

Duck Hook

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Pilgrims Trails Golf Club by Mike Jones Reply with quote

Staggeringly good!

The hours that would have went into creating a course such as this must be ridiculous.

Probably best ever. Although if Dr. Miller is doing Pine Vally, then that will certainly go down as the most anticipated release of all time.

sgt_cook

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Pilgrims Trails Golf Club by Mike Jones Reply with quote

A Spectacular course for sure as are all of MJ's designs. I'm afraid my game tends to suffer however as I get caught up viewing the scenery instead of playing the course. Well done Mike and my thanks for sharing this gem with us. Clap Clap Clap

Curt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Pilgrims Trails Golf Club by Mike Jones Reply with quote

ctgolf43 wrote:
size of these courses is getting stupid,,,alot of very nice ciurses under 100m ,,wont download it sorry this is getting out of hand

In this day and age that is a very shallow criticism in my opinion.

ousgg wrote:
There is an understanding of golf prevalent here that is not found in any other fictional course. You could scour the whole archive and not find such a beautifully balanced test of your golfing skills.

I beg to differ, Ben. Burn's Old Links is still to be bettered in every aspect apart from, obviously, the texture quality as far as I'm concerned. That it's an MJ course comes as no surprise of course.

Ace of course!

My designs:
Edgbaston Golf Club - released August 2006
Wentworth West OWGC08 - released October 2008
jeff3putt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Pilgrims Trails Golf Club by Mike Jones Reply with quote

To quote Dan Hicks " Expect anything different?"

Ace.

The Internet poses a fundamental threat not only to the authority of the government, but to all authority, because it permits people to organize, think, and influence one another without any institutional supervision whatsoever.' - John Seabrook.
jeff3putt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Pilgrims Trails Golf Club by Mike Jones Reply with quote

ctgolf43 wrote:
size of these courses is getting stupid,,,alot of very nice ciurses under 100m ,,wont download it sorry this is getting out of hand

Your loss Laugh

The Internet poses a fundamental threat not only to the authority of the government, but to all authority, because it permits people to organize, think, and influence one another without any institutional supervision whatsoever.' - John Seabrook.
Sisyphus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Pilgrims Trails Golf Club by Mike Jones Reply with quote

jeff3putt wrote:
ctgolf43 wrote:

Your loss Laugh

We must all come together to support MJ through this trauma.

Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?

T.S. Eliot (Choruses from "The Rock)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sparky_69

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Pilgrims Trails Golf Club by Mike Jones Reply with quote

All opinions are, of course, welcome here. I too was frustrated with the download time for MJ's new work, but man, once you get that baby into your course file and head for the first tee, you realize what you've been waiting for. While the playability of this masterpiece can't be understated, the breathtaking artwork that is Pilgrim Trails is worth any download time, hands down.

Download the thing overnight when you're sleeping. The course renders and plays smoothly on my modest system, and is simply a new era of golf course design using the APCD.

Try it..........you won't be sorry!

Oh, and by the way, thanks MJ for showing us you can still up the bar when ever tempted.

Cheers Cheers

ctgolf43

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Pilgrims Trails Golf Club by Mike Jones Reply with quote

yes and the new hi res textures dont change how the course plays.. alot of the golfers dont have super hi end puters and big hard drives or tons of memory. this size thing is just getting out there to far for the avg linkster.
we play golf for the game and fun,,not how pretty the course is.

Mr Mulligan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Pilgrims Trails Golf Club by Mike Jones Reply with quote

Whistle

So, can we "assume" that you are
the BOGEYMAN. (this time)

Mr Mulligan (Keep it in the SHORT STUFF!)
BadDog73

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Pilgrims Trails Golf Club by Mike Jones Reply with quote

Just because it demands some resources (not even all that much for Pete's sake) doesn't mean you should trash the course. Also, use punctuation, grammar, and capitals. You sound like a troll.

In this day and age, 150Mb of HD space is not a big deal. I got an external 1/2 Tb HD for my wife for 150 bucks several months ago. Even my 3 year old HD from my former computer has enough room for links, all my courses (10Gb) with 96% left over for anything else - I use it as a backup.

dazedcat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Pilgrims Trails Golf Club by Mike Jones Reply with quote

I purchased a nice notebook from HP that has all the system specs necessary to play Links in full glory. It only cost 599.00 American too.

System resources is a poor excuse to be trashing course designs. Sorry.

Regards;

"Yo, bartender, Jobu needs a refill." -- Eddie Harris
prospect193

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Pilgrims Trails Golf Club by Mike Jones Reply with quote

ctgolf43 wrote:

You must be kidding??? Dunno

golf crazy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
sgt_cook

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Pilgrims Trails Golf Club by Mike Jones Reply with quote

Wall Bash no great looking courses??? Dunno

Nate Dogg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:40 am    Post subject: Pilgrims Trails Golf Club by Mike Jones Reply with quote

Looks and playability carry approximately equal weight in my voting and judging of these courses. This course has the best of both.

Still a toss-up between this and Burn's as my favorites to play. As for looks, this one definitely tops the charts. But not to take anything away from some of the other great looking courses out there like Pinehurst and Augusta.

Large file sizes and long render times can be frustrating, but shouldn't be considered in rating a course, IMHO. But to each his own I guess. Surrender

Champ Classic, No Grid, Close-up, Top Cam Only

It takes a lot of balls to golf like I do!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jasonanne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject: Pilgrims Trails Golf Club by Mike Jones Reply with quote

ctgolf43 wrote:
yes and the new hi res textures dont change how the course plays.. alot of the golfers dont have super hi end puters and big hard drives or tons of memory. this size thing is just getting out there to far for the avg linkster.

Garbage, this post is the biggest load of Garbage I have ever read in the polls. Devil Polls are not based on its size its based on the playablitity and realism and this is as close as they get just like some of the other great courses out there! if you dont like the design or the textures then thats fine but baseing it on size then thats just lame. sounds like your are a women whingeing about c#@k size... Thumb Up Laugh

Cheer Jason

Real golfers don't cry when they line up their fourth putt. - Anon

http://crzbuilders.blogspot.com/
http://apcdkauri.blogspot.com/
Duck Hook

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Pilgrims Trails Golf Club by Mike Jones Reply with quote

jasonanne wrote:
ctgolf43 wrote:

Garbage, this post is the biggest load of Garbage I have ever read in the polls. Devil Polls are not based on its size its based on the playablitity and realism and this is as close as they get just like some of the other great courses out there! if you dont like the design or the textures then thats fine but baseing it on size then thats just lame. sounds like your are a women whingeing about c#@k size... Thumb Up Laugh

He sounds like my missus then..... Laugh

MikeJ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Pilgrims Trails Golf Club by Mike Jones Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments both good and bad. As anyone who puts their work in the puplic eye knows, people are open to critique it anyway they please. Just because 'eye candy' and realistic visuals are important to some people, doesn't mean that they are important to others as we can see.

Also for some people with slower connections, I'm sure the download size may have been a problem and if they want to give the course a low mark because of it, that's fine with me as it's a legitimate reason for them.

The rendering times were good for me on the 'mid spec' computer on which the course was created. People with faster computers will probably get almost instant screen rendering on many holes but obviously the reverse is true on slower computers. Does that mean I should design my courses so they render instantly on slow computers? Personally I don't think so. If I did, my courses would not have progressed visually since 2001 and I would most likely have stopped making courses for Links back then. The goal of creating ever more realistic environments has inspired me to keep on creating them for people to play and hopefully enjoy.

http://www.3dgolfdesign.com

http://perfectparallel.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Rehit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Pilgrims Trails Golf Club by Mike Jones Reply with quote

it is definitely the best fictional course created for Links to this point... Thumb Up

apcd-courses.com
Leader of the "clique"
always Rehit
jasonanne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Pilgrims Trails Golf Club by Mike Jones Reply with quote

MikeJ wrote:
Thanks for the comments both good and bad. As anyone who puts their work in the puplic eye knows, people are open to critique it anyway they please. Just because 'eye candy' and realistic visuals are important to some people, doesn't mean that they are important to others as we can see.

Also for some people with slower connections, I'm sure the download size may have been a problem and if they want to give the course a low mark because of it, that's fine with me as it's a legitimate reason for them.

The rendering times were good for me on the 'mid spec' computer on which the course was created. People with faster computers will probably get almost instant screen rendering on many holes but obviously the reverse is true on slower computers. Does that mean I should design my courses so they render instantly on slow computers? Personally I don't think so. If I did, my courses would not have progressed visually since 2001 and I would most likely have stopped making courses for Links back then. The goal of creating ever more realistic environments has inspired me to keep on creating them for people to play and hopefully enjoy.

Yup Fair call Mike I just can't see the reason for voting low purly based on size when so many hrs are put into it! if they don't like the textures or hole designs the fair enough but just on size for me thats just doesnt seem right.
But as you are a man of great integrety and can appreiciate all comments then fair enough and I commend you on that! Thumb Up

Cheer Jason

Real golfers don't cry when they line up their fourth putt. - Anon

http://crzbuilders.blogspot.com/
http://apcdkauri.blogspot.com/
ww2marine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Pilgrims Trails Golf Club by Mike Jones Reply with quote

Without a doubt the best fictional course I have ever played. Vote an ace without blinking.

Bob,

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Course Polls & User Reviews All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

Golfer: Well, I have never played this badly before! Caddy: I didn't realize you had played before, sir.