Please support Links Corner    

Real golfers never strike a caddie with the driver. The sand wedge is far more effective. ~Huxtable Pippey
AVG idents Rukshuk.exe as virusGoto page 1, 2, 3  Next View older topic :: View newer topic  
bill214

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: AVG idents Rukshuk.exe as virus Reply with quote

AVG has just started identing rukshuk.exe as a virus. It is not. If you use AVG to prevent it from doing this go into the AVG test center/complete test setting and uncheck "automatically heal infected files". If you do not do this the next time you try to start Links it will not run. Several people over on APCD have had this happen. If anyone can confirm this I'd appreciate it.

Long ago when men cursed and beat the ground with sticks, it was called witchcraft.
Today, it's called golf.
thowell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: AVG idents Rukshuk.exe as virus Reply with quote

bill214 wrote:
AVG has just started identing rukshuk.exe as a virus. It is not. If you use AVG to prevent it from doing this go into the AVG test center/complete test setting and uncheck "automatically heal infected files". If you do not do this the next time you try to start Links it will not run. Several people over on APCD have had this happen. If anyone can confirm this I'd appreciate it.

I use AVG, the "automatically heal infected files" option is checked. I just opened up Links with no problems.

My last uppdate was this morning. Are you sure, it's AVG causing this problem?

"Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans." John Lennon
Lance

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: AVG idents Rukshuk.exe as virus Reply with quote

eSet's Nod32 anti-virus is also flagging this as a potential problem file. But it's important to realize these aren't all false alarms. The virus writers will utilize known file names to infect a system, so the A/V providers respond in the best manner possible.

In my situation, I went into Nod32 and told it to not flag my Links2003 file as a virus, by specifing drive and directory location. This way, should I get a file named rukshuk.exe somewhere else on the system, Nod32 will deal with it as a virus. Maybe it will be a virus, maybe not? But taking just a couple of moments to secure a system in a more prudent manner should save me some problems down the road.

thowell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: AVG idents Rukshuk.exe as virus Reply with quote

Good point and something I should do with AVG, if I could only find the option to do so.

Anyone know how to get AVG to not flag the Links (or any particular file) as a virus?

Big Three

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: AVG idents Rukshuk.exe as virus Reply with quote

This was just discussed a few weeks ago here:

http://linkscorner.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23156

Add the Rukshuk file to the exclusion list so it quits identifying it as a virus.

Big Three Cool

~ Sarcasm is just one more service that I provide ~
thowell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: AVG idents Rukshuk.exe as virus Reply with quote

Big Three wrote:
This was just discussed a few weeks ago here:

http://linkscorner.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23156

Add the Rukshuk file to the exclusion list so it quits identifying it as a virus.

Big Three Cool

My problem is I can't find the exclusion list in AVG.

Big Three

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: AVG idents Rukshuk.exe as virus Reply with quote

thowell wrote:

Hi thowell -

I don't use AVG so I can't help you out there. In the other post (click on the link) the poster larrycleve said he added it to the exclusion list. Perhaps you can PM/email/contact him and he can steer you in the right direction. Or someone else may know how to do it and can tell you how.

Big Three Cool

~ Sarcasm is just one more service that I provide ~
Daniel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: AVG idents Rukshuk.exe as virus Reply with quote

I have been using AVG for about 3 years now I did not know this was happening.I just did a full scan when it got to the games folder sure enough it found the Rukshuk file to be a virus as already stated it is not a virus and is needed to run links.What I did was to go to the virus vault where it had put the Rukshuck file I right clicked on it and it gave a few opptions on what to do with it. What I did was click on (reinstate as) then I deleted the file out of the virus vault. Links started up ok no problems. Doing it this way is safer than what as being suggested I think.I hope it works for all.This way you do not need to make AVG heal files because they may be bad ones that your healing. And you know that the Rukshuk is ok.I am not sure what the healing does but I myself will do it the way I have it feels safer to me. If anyone tries it this way after a scan and it is ok or not can you post back on what happend it may help others to overcome the problem.

thowell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: AVG idents Rukshuk.exe as virus Reply with quote

Thanks Daniel. I'll give this a go and see what happens.

thowell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: AVG idents Rukshuk.exe as virus Reply with quote

Big Three wrote:
thowell wrote:

Hi thowell -

I don't use AVG so I can't help you out there. In the other post (click on the link) the poster larrycleve said he added it to the exclusion list. Perhaps you can PM/email/contact him and he can steer you in the right direction. Or someone else may know how to do it and can tell you how.

Big Three Cool

It looks like Daniel has come up with the solution.

Daniel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: AVG idents Rukshuk.exe as virus Reply with quote

I am not sure but I do not think there is an exclusion list in the free AVG if there is can someone point on how to get to it.Like I said I have used AVG for about 3 years and I can not find it. You can in other virus software exclued things but not I think in AVG Free version.So if you use and like AVG give it a try the way I explaned in post above it worked ok for me.

thowell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: AVG idents Rukshuk.exe as virus Reply with quote

Daniel wrote:
I am not sure but I do not think there is an exclusion list in the free AVG if there is can someone point on how to get to it.Like I said I have used AVG for about 3 years and I can not find it.

I tried your way of doing it, it works until the next time you run AVG or open the Links folder and it recognizes it as a virus again.

There has to be a way to tell AVG not to recognize Rukshuk.exe, in the Links folder.

Angel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: AVG idents Rukshuk.exe as virus Reply with quote

Hi all; I've got the same thing, and thanks for the info on how to fix it. However, this same thing show up in C:/ System Volume Information/restore.....
Any ideas on that one? Or has anyonehad this happen as well?
Thanks
Shelly

bill214

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: AVG idents Rukshuk.exe as virus Reply with quote

thowell wrote:
Daniel wrote:
I am not sure but I do not think there is an exclusion list in the free AVG if there is can someone point on how to get to it.Like I said I have used AVG for about 3 years and I can not find it.

I tried your way of doing it, it works until the next time you run AVG or open the Links folder and it recognizes it as a virus again.

There has to be a way to tell AVG not to recognize Rukshuk.exe, in the Links folder.

I've done some more research and there doesn't seem to be a way to exclude the file in the AVG free version. So I've decided to have it set to automatically heal. It does't really automatically heal it gives you the option to heal, ignore and another couple things. When it notifies me of the infection I just click on the ignore button. It'll still ID it as a virus every time you run a scan though, but as long as it gives me the option to ignore it I can live with it. Still not a good solution.

Long ago when men cursed and beat the ground with sticks, it was called witchcraft.
Today, it's called golf.
Sisyphus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: AVG idents Rukshuk.exe as virus Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I've been using AVG Free for a few years now
and I have it set up to automatically update and run a full scan
every night in the wee hours.
To this point it's never given me a problem with Links. AVG has,
from time to time, picked up viruses that weren't. But never any
Links files.
I'm not sure what this means to the people who are having
problems.

p.s. - as far as I can find, AVG does not include exclusions.
It turfs suspect files into the Vault and you decide what to
do with them from there.

Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?

T.S. Eliot (Choruses from "The Rock)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
thowell

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: AVG idents Rukshuk.exe as virus Reply with quote

Sisyphus wrote:
For what it's worth, I've been using AVG Free for a few years now
and I have it set up to automatically update and run a full scan
every night in the wee hours.
To this point it's never given me a problem with Links. AVG has,
from time to time, picked up viruses that weren't. But never any
Links files.
I'm not sure what this means to the people who are having
problems.

p.s. - as far as I can find, AVG does not include exclusions.
It turfs suspect files into the Vault and you decide what to
do with them from there.

If you updated today run selected files right now, target Links, you are going to get the virus warning.

Do not delete it, or you'll end up re installing Links.

As a matter of fact, just to see how it works, explore Links and you will get the warning, you can ignore it and Links will fire up.

AVG has created a slight mess here.

Daniel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: AVG idents Rukshuk.exe as virus Reply with quote

I know you have to keep reinstating the Rukshuk everytime you do a scan with AVG I never said it fixed it perminantly but if you do not want to change your virus scanner it is better to know that the game will still run if you do the fix as I suggested.What ever files it find for links if you reinstate as then it should keep working.

Sisyphus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: AVG idents Rukshuk.exe as virus Reply with quote

Yup. It popped up this morning after last night's scan.
Daniel's method has worked so far. Thanks for that.

I've used Avast Free in the past. Anyone know if it's
a problem with that app?

Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?

T.S. Eliot (Choruses from "The Rock)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
thowell

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: AVG idents Rukshuk.exe as virus Reply with quote

Since AVG won't allow an exclusion, the only thing you can do is what Daniel has brought to our attention.

If I get tired of doing this, I'll change software.

Hate to do that, been using AVG for a long time.

Daniel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: AVG idents Rukshuk.exe as virus Reply with quote

I personaly have got rid of AVG and downloaded a program called Spyware Terminator.The program consists of three moduls, SPYWARE, INTERNET TOOL BAR that warns you if a web page is suspisous.But you need not have the tool bar if you do not want it and you can unistall it if you try it but do not like it. It also as CLAM ANTIVIRUS. It is a free program updates auto with definitions. You can scan in spyware and antivirus together or in single mode.I did a full scan it found nothing I was not suprised because I usualy keep my pc clean.It puts just one icon near system clock bottom right of your taskbar so you do not have a spyware and a virus icon.I do not think it is a difficult program to master interface is quite good.It also uses a shield that pops up to ask you if you want to run a program it as not seen being used you can allow or disalow it is up to you. If it does find anything it goes in the vault once in there you can add it to the allow box if you know what it is and have used it before once in there it will not show it again. Now all spyware and antivirus software companies claim that there product is the best, but I do not care I just feel it is best to have something there just incase. Here is a picture of the interface.BTW It did not find the Rukshuk to be a virus.If it did in the future you could add it to the allow box and it would not find it again.

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Members Tech Forums All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

Golfer: Do you think I can get there with a 5-iron? Caddy: Eventually.