Please support Links Corner    

Hit 'em hard. They'll land somewhere. - Stewart Maiden
( RELIC ) ( 2001 ) TPC at Sawgrass Stadium Course by Anders Bessermann (5/2002) View older topic :: View newer topic  

How do you rate TPC at Sawgrass Stadium Course??
Ace
54%
 54%  [ 27 ]
Eagle
32%
 32%  [ 16 ]
Birdie
12%
 12%  [ 6 ]
Par
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Bogey - Must be accompanied by an explanatory post!
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 50

cougar24

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: ( RELIC ) ( 2001 ) TPC at Sawgrass Stadium Course by Anders Bessermann (5/2002) Reply with quote

http://linkscorner.org/courses/course.php?crz=887

Release date: May 2002

Zipfile size: 49,173 KB

What do you think of TPC at Sawgrass Stadium Course??

Unsure

Please vote in the poll.

After you vote, please leave a few comments or some feedback for the designer
about his course and why you voted the way you did.

Thanks

Thumb Up

From the readme:

Rules
Quote:

Tournament Players Course
Sawgrass

110 PGA Tour Blvd
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 32082
United States (Saint Johns County)

The course:

Year Built 1981
Designer Pete Dye
Number of Holes 18-hole, Total yardage from TPC tee: 7093 yards
Greens Bermuda Grass
Fairways Bermuda Grass
Water Hazards in Play Yes
Greens Aerated Varies
Overseeding Schedule October/Open
Number of Sand Bunkers 41-50

Course history:

This club features two outstanding eighteen hole courses. The Stadium Course is a target design that features water coming into play on almost every hole. This course was considered the debut of stadium golf, with plenty of pot bunkers and moguls to make even professionals squeal. The signature hole is #17, a 137-yard, par 3, which is one of the most well-known island greens in golf.

Originally intended to be bordered by water on the right side only, the hole evolved into the famous island green due to needs elsewhere on the course. As architect Pete Dye was building the course on swampland, a good pocket of sand -- a rare commodity -- was discovered in the area around 17.

"Golf Digest" rated this course as the 2nd "Best Public Course" in the state for the years 1995-98. "GOLF Magazine" chose this course 7th in the category of "Top 100 Courses You Can Play in the U.S." for 1998. The same publication selected it 48th among the "Top 100 Courses in the U.S." for 1995, and 39th in 1997 and 33rd for 1999. "GOLFWEEK" chose the Stadium Course 19th under the category of "America's 100 Best Modern Courses" for 1997, 14th for 1998 and 15th for 1999. Pete Dye redesigned the Stadium Course in 1983. The Valley Course is a bit milder than its sister course, but it has more undulation in the fairways than the Stadium Course. Because this facility is situated only one mile from the ocean, the wind can become a major factor. This club annually hosts the PGA Tour's Players Championship. The U.S. Amateur was held at both of these courses in 1994. "GOLF Magazine" even selected it to their 1998 list of "Top 10 PGA Courses You Can Play."

Rankings:

No. 9 by GOLF Magazine: Top 100 Courses you can play in the US 1996
No. 19 by GolfWeek: America's 100 best modern courses 1997
No. 48 by GOLF Magazine: 100 greatest courses in the U.S. 1995
Thomas Björn quote: The best course in the world

Custom textures/images:

Textures from Tiger Woods game and modified in Photoshop 6.01 by me
Pine Needle texture from Golden Bear Challenge.
The big scoreboard on hole #9 right side by Rudbeck, based on the Spyglass scoreboard by DLunatic.
Hole signs and ballwashers were taken from Tiger Woods game. Turn off the tourney mode and you will see them. They are standing a little bit out of the normal view.
Live scoreboard made by yours truly based on a picture from John Pineda.

Beta testers:

Alliegator
Lars Rudbeck
JohnDalyEsser
Golfzilla
Loner
Keith
Firehead

Special thanks:

Alliegator (Superb work as always on those hole previews x 2 hehe you know what i'm talking about. Thanks for not letting me down Roger!!!).
Lars Rudbeck (Thanks for helping me out on many things!)
Golfzilla (Great guy giving me some good feedbacks/comments).
DLunatic (No introduction needed here. Just look at the pano he made for me. He did a fantastic job and the Links Community owes him so much. Thanks for helping me out on beta 2 posting).
JohnDalyEsser (Great beta testing and excellent feedback. Downloaded beta 1 and 2 on a 56 K modem!!! My biggest respect to you John).
The Dark Horse team providing me server space for beta 1 and 2.
John Pineda (Thanks for the texture and helping me out on uploading the beta file).

Bugs:
There are probably some bugs on the course since the elevation came from converting the Tiger Woods version of Sawgrass into the APCD. Doing the course this way was a tough bitch, but the fairway and green elevations should be spot on.
Hole 17 plays in real life from a different tee, it is added on the course to the right but since the TPC is using the other I decided to go with that.
If you hit into the water at 17th you can't drop the ball and play from the ladies tee or the "drop zone" like in real life, sorry nothing I can do about it.
I have attached the normal top view on my 2D houses. Some look enormous in the top view but there’s nothing I can do about it.

The course was originally planned for release prior to The Players Championship this year. I wanted to get all the slopes as real as possible. So during this years Players Championship I taped it event and delayed the release to implement the changes. Also many bunkers had a different shape on my course compared to the real thing. Getting these shapes close to the real ones took several weeks.

I've included a recorded round with breezy/m/m/m pins. Go and have a laugh seeing me playing awful.
Hope you like the course.
Anders Bessermann (Vanbesten)

oO(Screenshots from Official Review by Loner)

Screenshots

Last edited by cougar24 on Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:57 am; edited 2 times in total

Links Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: ( RELIC ) ( 2001 ) TPC at Sawgrass Stadium Course by Anders Bessermann (5/2002) Reply with quote

ACE! This is the only Links 2001 APCD course that I play anymore, and it is the best one available. It would be nice to see an update someday, but it still stands high on its own compared to even the best of Links 2003 APCD designs. This course has brought years of enjoyment, Vanbesten! Thanks for sharing it with us!
Not Worthy Not Worthy Not Worthy Not Worthy Not Worthy

~ Give the world the best you have and the best will come back to you. ~
Sparky_69

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: ( RELIC ) ( 2001 ) TPC at Sawgrass Stadium Course by Anders Bessermann (5/2002) Reply with quote

No question, this one has been on the hard drive and in the Links Courses folder since it was released (WOW has it been that long?!). I know the topic has come up a few times before, but I've always wondered why Anders never went back and updated the old girl. She certainly doesn't need it, though, you're right. When Sawgrass first came out, it set standards that are hard to meet even today, and it was such a WANTED course. I seem to remember that another version of Sawgrass came out about a week before, and you can imagine the turmoil that caused (the other version was a good first-timer course, but no where near the level of Mr. Bessermann's work). Ah, the memories. Can't wait to take her on this weekend. Probably my only gripe with playing Sawgrass is that I use the 1.06 mod exclusively now, and have trouble with some of the flag placements, but I've played the course so many times, I know which ones to avoid.

Cheers.

Oh, and by the way, thanks Anders, for this and so much else.

Crusader

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: ( RELIC ) ( 2001 ) TPC at Sawgrass Stadium Course by Anders Bessermann (5/2002) Reply with quote

Great work and one of the most exciting real courses to play.

Yes blending could be added - but ive always quite liked the original textures colourings.

Greens are tough for 1.06 so you need care on which to choose but apart from that an ace all the way and still near the top of my chart at Links Course Profiles

BPC

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: ( RELIC ) ( 2001 ) TPC at Sawgrass Stadium Course by Anders Bessermann (5/2002) Reply with quote

Ace (obviously).

Quite amazing that a course five years old still ranks as one of the alltime best ever. A large part of it is the familarity of the Sawgrass Stadium course, but this one would hold up regardless.

I know in the past Anders has said he didn't have any plans to update, and IIRC, preferred not to see anyone else alter his file. That's fine, we should all be appreciative of his contributions. This is one of the best examples of a designer listening to his team of beta testers.

The driving angles on TPC Sawgrass are fantastic. The course seemed to have a lot more mounds when I played it IRL (tournament volunteer 1986-88, and I remember A LOT of awkward lies in the fairway), but the greens are very accurate IMO.

GTK94

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: ( RELIC ) ( 2001 ) TPC at Sawgrass Stadium Course by Anders Bessermann (5/2002) Reply with quote

my information is that the course is updated with new textures etc as an apcd-com exclusive for their OWGC tour.
wonder if it will be available here? Dunno
still a fav of mine as well.

drrobmiller

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: ( RELIC ) ( 2001 ) TPC at Sawgrass Stadium Course by Anders Bessermann (5/2002) Reply with quote

Plus this ol girl needs a new clubhouse Clap Whistle

R

Colin Rommel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: ( RELIC ) ( 2001 ) TPC at Sawgrass Stadium Course by Anders Bessermann (5/2002) Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for doing Sawgrass! If nobody had done it, I definitely would have requested it, having seen it on TV in the Players Champ and played the PGA Tour Golf version many times. (A cakewalk compared to this version!)

I gave it an eagle several days ago. Would have been an ace, but I wasn't keen on the driving range sound on first couple of holes. If I hadn't read it in the notes, I wouldn't have known it was a driving range, as it sounds more like some kind of wood chopping machine or something and sounds very out of place imo.

However, a great course all the same and tremendous challenge. Thumb Up

Lady Nancy Astor: "Winston, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea."
Churchill: "Nancy, if you were my wife, I'd drink it."
View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Course Polls & User Reviews All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Is my good friend in the rough, or is the b*&#*$d on the green? - James Bond