Please support Links Corner    

The best wood in most amateurs' bags is the pencil. - Anon
The Links at Ballylecum Castle by Jon Weinrieb (8/2005)Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next View older topic :: View newer topic  

How do you rate The Links at Ballylecum Castle
Ace
77%
 77%  [ 144 ]
Eagle
17%
 17%  [ 33 ]
Birdie
3%
 3%  [ 7 ]
Par
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Bogey - Must be accompanied by an explanatory post!
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 187

cougar24

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: The Links at Ballylecum Castle by Jon Weinrieb (8/2005) Reply with quote

http://linkscorner.org/courses/course.php?crz=1612

What do you think of The Links at Ballylecum Castle??

Unsure

Please vote in the poll.

After you vote, please leave a few comments or some feedback for the designer
about his course and why you voted the way you did.

Thanks

Thumb Up

From the readme:

Rules
Quote:

Welcome to
The Links at Ballylecum Castle
BY JON WEINRIEB

Portions of Original Layout by Gimme (Adrian)
3D Work by Prospect (Pat Auge), Gimme and Jon Weinrieb
Panorama by Kwixilver (Rick Weathers)
Hole Previews, Logo, and Splash Screens by Grooch (Dexter Gresh)

The Course

Welcome to The Links at Ballylecum Castle, a fictional seaside links course crafted along the Ayshire Coast of Scotland. I should state right up front that Adrian (Gimme) started this course some time ago. At his request, I took it over earlier this year and redone the majority of it. Nevertheless, his spirit lives on in some of the hole designs and I credit him with the original idea for the course.

The sounds of bagpipes greets you on the first tee as you embark on your Scottish adventure. The course features a wide variety of holes, including a reachable par 4, a range of par 5s, and a little seaside par 3 where the wind can play havoc with the golf ball. Playing to a par of 72 and measuring only 7,055 yards from the Championship Tees (3 shorter tees: Long: 6,611; Men: 6,302; Women/Junior: 5,775), at first look, the course may appear relatively easy. But small greens and narrow fairways demand accuracy all the way around. It is not a grip-it-and-rip-it track as many holes feature blind or semi-blind approaches if the drive is not properly placed or the player elects to play more conservatively off the tee ground -- which in many cases is the smart choice. Ultimately, I find that it is the kind of course that I am still learning, even after months of designing and testing. I hope you, too, will learn something new about it each time you tee it up, while still finding it playable on your first attempt.

The course has actually been softened a lot since early alpha testing. Many testers found themselves routinely and uncomfortably over par. So, I flattened some greens, shortened some holes and widened some landing areas to increase playability. I believe a good, fair challenge is still out there, though, and, depending on the wind and hole locations, every single hole can produce a fairly high number. The deep rough creeps in everywhere and dense fescues and other hay-like grasses will snag errant shots just as easily as the nearly 100 bunkers strewn about the course.

Seven holes run along a custom coastline and the ocean is visible from at least 4 other holes -- so, keep it dry. The prevailing wind comes hard off the sea but will, on certain holes, help you reach a few par 5s while helping you to hold other greens into the breeze. Beware the faster settings -- the greens can be tough to hold and the run-up may be the smart play.

APCD Techniques

I employed similar design techniques here as I did with Quidnet: fairly wide alphas, soft textures, heavy grass and bush planting, etc. Unlike Quidnet, however, this is a more traditional links track with no trees, a 3D coastline, more opportunities to play run-up shots and true pot-bunkers with sod walls. So there are plenty of fresh ideas out there that I used in an attempt to get the realism as high as possible:

• One of the main things that I employed here is the creation of rock outcroppings all about the course with hand-planted grasses and bushes stacked up around them. I think the technique creates the sense of flow and cohesion with the rocky coastline and provides for some additional “hazards” to beware of -- although they are not set to play as hazards, you will not get a free drop.

• Most bunkers have burned/faded edges (sod-walled bunkers involve up to 12 separate mappings each) all around them and a variety of thick plantings.

• Almost all of the planting that the player will actually encounter (that is, not hundreds of yards off the playing areas) is hand-planted. The foresting was such a pain in the arse on this course that I just started doing it by hand. Finally the foresting kicked in and worked on parts of the course but not all of it. The result, I believe, is some dynamic grass and bush planting that provides a pretty realistic recreation of Scottish linksland. I hope you all agree.

3D Work

• Pat Auge built an unbelievable 3D castle as well as a gorgeous 3D lighthouse that are both in view on a number of holes, principally the seaside holes. Make sure to walk around and inside the castle to get a flavor for just how special it is. The soothing sound of bagpipes will accompany your tour.

• About 15 3D houses are speckled among the hillocks out on the course and there is also a custom 3D village. Pat, Adrian and I all worked on those pieces. Similarly, Ballylecum Cemetery lurking off the third green was also originated by Adrian and fixed up by Pat. I planted and mapped it.

• Pat also built several 3D bridges to carry players across the Ballylecum Burn running through the third and fourth holes.

Custom Add-Ons

• Pano: Rick Weathers’ (Kwixilver’s) pano work is simply stunning and I think fits the overall look and feel of Ballylecum just perfectly. When I originally asked Rick to assist me again (as he did with Quidnet), he indicated that he was very busy and could only provide me with a custom pano that was already done -- not specifically made for my course. Well, a few weeks later Rick had again stepped up to the plate and redone more or less that entire pano to better suit what Ballylecum had become. I cannot express how thankful I am to Rick for his work. It is class A and he is a great guy with whom to work. I am very fortunate to have help from someone of his caliber. Thanks again, Rick.

• Hole Previews/Cameo/Splash Screens -- Dex did another great job with the custom extras here. He came up with a beautifully original hole preview template and took some really complimentary shots for the splash screens. Thanks Dex. I really appreciate the hard work.

Bugs

• 2D Planting: A section along the par-4 4th is unplanted and, although not really noticeable, does slip into view if you look directly to the right around the green. The 3D village takes up a good bit of the unplanted view but I imagine some will question why there is no grass or bush planting over there. For whatever reason and despite an amazing amount of effort by the best in the business (AJ, MJ, Art, Pat and others), that section of the course simply will not hold a 2D object upon saving. It is not much of an issue but worth mentioning to head off questions about it.

• Shadow File/Load Time: Also, as was the case with Quidnet, the 2D objects picked up invisible shadow properties at some point and, again despite an extraordinary effort, there is no getting rid of them. Therefore, initial load times associated with the course (when one first boots it up) will be long. There is nothing I can do about it and apologize for this delay. No one has experienced significantly longer render times once you are playing the course, though. Moreover, once you’re loaded up and the .sha file is built, your load times will be much shorter.

Additional Credits

• Beta Testers -- Rick Weathers (Kwixilver), Pat Auge (Prospect193), Dexter Gresh (Grooch), Art Patscheck (Crow357), Mike Jones, Eddie Schmidt, MikeD, Dave Russell (Crusader), Rick (Fourputt), Chris Gormley, and Lindsay Addie (LCA).

• Textures -- Majority of textures are from Mike Jones. Eddie provided me with some of the ocean textures that he’d modified from some MJ originals. Several textures are my own and Pat Auge took care of most of those on the 3D work.

• Objects -- Most of the objects are stock but MJ gave me a number of grasses and bushes and Gus Green also allowed me access to his grass objects from Wellington that are just superb. A few objects also came courtesy of Wayne Hewitt (Hewi) and Dexter Gresh courses. It is possible that some others were remnants of Quidnet that were originally borrowed from other courses -- it was just hard to keep track of every single one. But I think those were the main donors. Thanks guys.

• File Hosting & Beta Forum -- A huge thank you to Mick Prendergast (Rehit -- although I believe he prefers Anti-Christ) and Andrew Jones (Mogulbasher) and the members at apcd-courses.com for allowing me to host numerous course files for my testers and other assistants to download and for the beta forum where I got my daily beatings. You guys have a thankless job -- just remember that most of us do indeed appreciate what you’ve done and continue to do for the game and the Links community.

I apologize if I forgot anyone who did anything to assist me with this course. Please message me and I will post an addendum to these credits.

Once again, JD did nothing.

Recorded Round

For those who like to have someone with whom to play the course with the first few times around, I am including a recorded round that I played just after completing the course. I played Elite Click with Medium/Fast conditions, moderate pins and a little breeze. Ready for a game?

Well, that’s about it. Enjoy your stay at The Links at Ballylecum Castle. And if you want to know what “Ballylecum” means . . . ask Adrian (if you can find him). Smile

Last edited by cougar24 on Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age. - Lucille ball
Links Fan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: The Links at Ballylecum Castle by Jon Weinrieb (8/2005) Reply with quote

I would rate this as one of the top 10 Links courses ever released. Fantastic work, Jon, and thanks for sharing your course with us!
Not Worthy Not Worthy Not Worthy Not Worthy Not Worthy

~ Give the world the best you have and the best will come back to you. ~
Mr Mulligan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:03 am    Post subject: The Links at Ballylecum Castle by Jon Weinrieb (8/2005) Reply with quote

Whistle Whistle Whistle

Oh my God! The bogeyman has returned disguised
as the Birdieman! Unbelievable! Eagle at the VERY
VERY worst! And I think that is a terrible VOTE!
Just my HONEST opinion!

Mike Jones has met his match!

Thumb Up Thumb Up Thumb Up

Thanks Jon! Webster doesn't have a word to describe
this BEAUTY!

Mr Mulligan (Keep it in the SHORT STUFF!)
Nate Dogg

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:08 am    Post subject: The Links at Ballylecum Castle by Jon Weinrieb (8/2005) Reply with quote

Easy ace. Beautiful and challenging course, with great attention to detail, great views and a superb layout with some fun risk-reward holes. I really liked the final four holes along the ocean. And best of all, this course is free! Outstanding work JW! Clap

Champ Classic, No Grid, Close-up, Top Cam Only

It takes a lot of balls to golf like I do!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Curt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: The Links at Ballylecum Castle by Jon Weinrieb (8/2005) Reply with quote

There is little else that needs saying other than download this incredible FREE course.

Superlative ACE. Cheers Jon. Thumb Up Cheers

My designs:
Edgbaston Golf Club - released August 2006
Wentworth West OWGC08 - released October 2008
mickydavies

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: The Links at Ballylecum Castle Reply with quote

Should be an albatross. This is a really wonderful course. I loved Quidnet too so I am biased though. A real pleasure to play.

ape_man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: The Links at Ballylecum Castle by Jon Weinrieb Reply with quote

This course Jon is AWESOME my friend!! Gr8 design and its FREE!!! Best free course i have seen for a long time well done pard! Clap Not Worthy Not Worthy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
big stewart

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: The Links at Ballylecum Castle by Jon Weinrieb (8/2005) Reply with quote

very nice and origional work

Stewart . Location Cumbernauld . North Lanarkshire . Scotland.
MainerTodd

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: The Links at Ballylecum Castle by Jon Weinrieb (8/2005) Reply with quote

Ahh, a fitting companion to Quidnet. Ace, of course. You can tell immediately that JW designed this course, since it is so similar to Quidnet in many ways--the look, the way he pinches off his fairways with big mounds to catch wayward drives (I think he was trying to Todd-proof the course), the textures, etc. Nevertheless, this course still manages to feel completely separate, totally unique. As with Quidnet, Ballylecum's strategic value is excellent: taken as a whole, the course is difficult but eminently fair. Hitting driver is tempting, since there are not too many water hazards, but it can really get you into trouble. However, even when you hit a terrible shot, you still have a chance to make up for it--a small chance, but still a chance. The greens are tricky especially at faster speeds, and a ton of fun to play. The 3D work is terrific, with lots of little surprises scattered around the course (I especially like that neat little cemetery off one of the early holes). And I was happy to see (or hear) that the ocean noise was set to a perfect level, not at all overpowering.

Thank you, JW, for this magnificent course. You have now designed two of my all-time favorite courses.

The instinct of a man is to pursue everything that flies from him, and to fly from all that pursue him.
-Voltaire
jeff3putt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: The Links at Ballylecum Castle by Jon Weinrieb (8/2005) Reply with quote

Ace all the way Punk

The Internet poses a fundamental threat not only to the authority of the government, but to all authority, because it permits people to organize, think, and influence one another without any institutional supervision whatsoever.' - John Seabrook.
Sisyphus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: The Links at Ballylecum Castle by Jon Weinrieb (8/2005) Reply with quote

Already one of my favourite courses.
The level of detail and imagination is astounding.
A lot of attention (rightly so) will centre on the castle.
My own attention was caught by the abandoned
(I assume abandoned - ya never know these days)
crofters' cottages here and there around the course.
They really add to the atmosphere and spirit of place
and time. And then there's the graveyard. I'd want to
be buried there.
The actual playing surfaces are excellent. Punish bad
shots, reward good ones,requires thought. As it should
be.
I know it's a series of images on a computer screen.
But there are a number of courses that just feel so
"right". JW did that with Quidnet and he does it again
with Ballylecum.
I still think it's Irish.But at this point who cares.
Ace,of course.

Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?

T.S. Eliot (Choruses from "The Rock)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr Mulligan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: The Links at Ballylecum Castle by Jon Weinrieb (8/2005) Reply with quote

Not Worthy Not Worthy Not Worthy

Mariner Todd & Sisyphus couldn't have
said it any better! You really outdid yourself
this time Jon!

Can't wait for your next one!

Thumb Up Thumb Up Thumb Up

Mr Mulligan (Keep it in the SHORT STUFF!)
Spillane

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: The Links at Ballylecum Castle by Jon Weinrieb (8/2005) Reply with quote

Only one word is needed to describe this course " OUTSTANDING" & that doesn't do it justice

jeffste1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Great Course Reply with quote

I gave BallyCastle an Ace. I really liked the detailed scenery and rolling
hills.

t widiger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: The Links at Ballylecum Castle by Jon Weinrieb (8/2005) Reply with quote

I gave this course an ace. The planting is nicely diverse and shades well into the background. The atmosphere/sound is outstanding (subtle but compelling). It is not terribly difficult, but very pleasant to play. It should remain on my hard drive for quite some time. My only comment is that the club members do not adhere well to the tee placements on the par 3's (apologies if this message is posted twice; I think it got taken down). Clap Clap Clap

tycoon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Course Reply with quote

jeffste1 wrote:
I gave BallyCastle an Ace. I really liked the detailed scenery and rolling
hills.
This is my first time doing this hope it is ok. Poke

skochkin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: The Links at Ballylecum Castle by Jon Weinrieb (8/2005) Reply with quote

Absurdly beautiful and fun...I mean this course brings joy to you when you play it. I would vote it a double Ace or Albatross. I am surprized that Crusader placed it #35. Perhaps this replaces Cara Brae as #1.

Sergei

Crusader

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: The Links at Ballylecum Castle by Jon Weinrieb (8/2005) Reply with quote

skochkin wrote:
Absurdly beautiful and fun...I mean this course brings joy to you when you play it. I would vote it a double Ace or Albatross. I am surprized that Crusader placed it #35. Perhaps this replaces Cara Brae as #1.

Sergei

nope - i am not biting this time
sorry

dazedcat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: The Links at Ballylecum Castle by Jon Weinrieb (8/2005) Reply with quote

Ace. I wish there was something above ace for this one. Thanks JW.....

Regards;

"Yo, bartender, Jobu needs a refill." -- Eddie Harris
Markeymark

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: The Links at Ballylecum Castle by Jon Weinrieb (8/2005) Reply with quote

I mean, it's a nice course, but outside the top 10 ever released.
Is there a way to shut up that bagpipe guy? Buy him a beer or something?

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Course Polls & User Reviews All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  

I'll always remember the day I broke ninety. I had a few beers in the clubhouse and was so excited I forgot to play the back nine. -Bruce Lansky