Please support Links Corner    

Swing hard in case you hit it. - Dan Marino
( $ ) El Escorpion 2005 by Mike JonesGoto page 1, 2  Next View older topic :: View newer topic  

How do you rate El Escorpion 2005??
Ace
65%
 65%  [ 75 ]
Eagle
21%
 21%  [ 24 ]
Birdie
5%
 5%  [ 6 ]
Par
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Bogey - Must be accompanied by an explanatory post!
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 114

cougar24

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject: ( $ ) El Escorpion 2005 by Mike Jones Reply with quote

http://linkscorner.org/courses/course.php?crz=1544

What do you think of El Escorpion 2005??

Unsure

Please vote in the poll.

After you vote, please leave a few comments or some feedback for the

designer
about his course and why you voted the way you did.

Thanks

Thumb Up

From the readme:

Rules

Quote:
El Escorpion 2005 by Mike Jones

The course

Welcome to the readme file for El Escorpion. This fictional course is set on the sunny East coast of Spain where I now make my home. The sandy, rocky soil and wonderful mountain views make it a lovely place to play golf although in summer the heat really becomes too much and you almost feel like diving into the lakes to cool down as you play around the course!
When I originally conceived the course back in 2001 (it seems like a lifetime ago) I had the idea to make it the most strategic test of golf that I could, so that the thoughtful golfer would have a clear advantage. I may have been a little over zealous with some of the fairway narrowing and green slopes and although the course was very well received at the time (winning course of the month at Links Corner) I was never totally satisfied with the way it turned out. As my knowledge of course architecture has grown I decided to apply some of the things I had learned over the last few years to make the course play the way I had originally thought it might.
The recent release of the links modification brought the forefront the very sloping greens and under faster conditions the 2001 course was almost unplayable. This along with the many mails I have received over the last year enquiring when I would be updating the course prompted me to return to Escorpion and bring it up to the visual and playability standards that people have come to expect from my Links2003 courses.

The construction

Having played many test rounds both alone and with trusted friends I began to make notes on which holes needed to change. The course was originally constructed using shape insertion techniques so the first thing that needed to be fixed was the mesh and elevations. I have improved the mesh coursewide in the process smoothing out many of the unrealistic slopes and elevation changes that plagued the original course. All the greens were re elevated from scratch making the greens much fairer than before. That's not to say they are easy though!
Once the mesh and elevations were fixed I started to construct new bunkers and tees. Those familiar with teh 2001 course will easily spot the changes the most substantial being the remodelled 10th hole. The hole is now shorter and instead of playing over a waste area to a very narrow green I have widened the fairway to allow a short iron to be played over a mamoth new fronting bunker to a green now much more receptive to good play. I used to hate the 10th hole but now I love it - I hope you do too!
Many new tees have been added around the course both to change playing angle and alter hole lengths and also to maximise variety from the forward tee locations. Most of the bunkers have been re-elevated and it goes without saying that they have the multiple texture blending features that have become one of my trademark features. The rest of the textures have been changed and updated from the dryer looking scrubland texture to the high resolution grass textures seen throughout the course. the totally new rough textures were once again made using digital photographs as their base. they give a more clumpy uneven look to the rough without tiling problems. I'm very pleased with them.Tees with divots, new custom fairway, fringe and green textures complete the overall look.
Planting has been updated with fine tuning to the already good planting (it has been said that the orginal El Escorpion had already had some of the best planting seen on a 2001 course) Dave Campbell has made the wonderful new hole previews and they will be an invaluable aid if you play the game at the higher difficulty settings with no top camera view.
The course is still instantly recognisable but with the new alterations and improvements it's a whole lot more fun to play. I wish you many happy rounds!

How to get the best out of the graphics and the course

This course has been designed to provide the absolute best and more realistic visuals available for a computer golf sim. The Links graphics engine had great strengths but it also has weaknesses. Here are some tips on how to get the best out of the graphics on my courses.

First of all you will need a half decent graphics card such as a Ge Force 3 or better. Older cards work with Links but a GF3 or above will be needed if you want to get the best looks. Choose as high a resolution from the in game graphics options as your computer and graphics card can handle. Low resolutions mean less impressive graphics. Use 32 bit colour depth from the in game options. Although I think my courses look good in either 16 bit or 32 bit colour, there is no doubt the textures, object colours and seam blendings are far better in 32 bit. I always try and design my courses to take full advantage for those who use high resolutions and detail settings as much as possible. Make sure you are using the latest drivers for your card and turn ON Anisotropic filtering from your graphics card options in Windows. If you have an option for texture sharpening turn it ON.

Try playing the course without using the top cam but by using the hole previews instead - again if you want the feeling of playing real golf this is the way to go. While your'e at it - turn the ugly grid off too :) These are my personal preferences and ones that I use most often in play testing. Each to their own though and if you enjoy playing some other way, go with it, if everyone liked the same thing we wouldn't need options menus. Most importantly have fun!

In addition the course has been designed very much, with the new modification for links, in mind. It enables players to choose faster green speeds and firmer ground conditions. El Escorpion 2005 has been fully tested with the new mod created by Andrew Jones and it plays wonderfully. I encourage everyone to try it out. You can find it at my site, also at www.apcd-courses.com and www.Linkscorner.org sign up and download it, it's free!

Website features

I have a recorded round and saved shot section at my web site www.mikejgolfdesign.com so please e-mail me your greatest rounds, best shots, lucky bounces etc at any of my courses to mj@mikejgolfdesign.com and I'll post the best of them for other players to share. You will also find some nice windows background wallpaper from my courses.
I'll also be running competitions on my site from time to time for anyone that buys my courses, so keep a look out for them.

Credits

I've been very fortunate to have had the help and guidance of some of the most generous and gifted people in the world of computer golf simulations. None of my previous courses or indeed this one would have been quite the same without their help. If I've left anyone out please feel free to bash me around the ears next time I see you, hehe.

Pat Auge, Art Patscheck, Chris Perry, John "Daly" Esser, Wayne Hewit, Ian(Links Corner)Downs, Daniel Fahlen, web site guru and generally clever dude Thx man, I appreciate your help more than you know!, Dexter Gresh, Gus Green, Dave Campbell(great new hole previews), Rick Weathers, Dan(geek) for helping me with my computer during numerous problems of my own making, Dave (Crusader) Russell, Andrew (Augusta, Links mod, clever dude) Jones, Rick Preibe, Mick (apcd-courses.com)Prendergast, Jon Weinwreb ( because I forgot him last time!), All the guys at Firehead's (JP) forums and many, many more.
Microsoft, indie games studios and Access before them for giving us the fantastic links series. Also for providing simply the most powerful tool for visualization and creation of golf courses on the computer today - the awesome APCD. Thanks guys.

To all, warm regards and good golfing!

Mike

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age. - Lucille ball

Albie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:52 am    Post subject: ( $ ) El Escorpion 2005 by Mike Jones Reply with quote

I thought it would be an ace. I expected it to be an ace.
I bought it. Then I found out it was an ACE !

Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart !

Life is a Series of Choices, Decisions and Consequences !

Deciding not to choose, is still making a choice !

Failing to Plan, is a Plan to Fail !

Those That Judge, Don't Matter. Those That Matter, Don't Judge !
Bluesbro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:45 am    Post subject: ( $ ) El Escorpion 2005 by Mike Jones Reply with quote

This has always been one of my favorites from Mike, and the remake is Ace's all the way. I guess that leaves Northern Dunes as the only one needing a facelift Thumb Up Great job pal, nice to see this great layout brought up to date. It was great working with you.

marrich

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: ( $ ) El Escorpion 2005 by Mike Jones Reply with quote

...a superb remake of one of the best 2k1 courses around.... ACE for me. Yes

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Stephen Sullivan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: ( $ ) El Escorpion 2005 by Mike Jones Reply with quote

Ace here as well. The reworked greens are much easier to play. The textures are superb.

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." Sir Terry Pratchett
Bluenoser

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: ( $ ) El Escorpion 2005 by Mike Jones Reply with quote

Outstanding design as always from MJ. Over the years there's been a poll or two about which MJ course was everyones favourite. Few ever chose EE, but it has always been my favourite. I truely enjoyed the challange of the first release as it tested your every skill as a player, none more so than putting.

The remake still presents an enormous challange. Andy and I played it yesterday for the first time with B/M/F (Mod 1.06 of course) and all I can say is you better bring your "A" game if you want to break par here.

Thanks Mike, another solid "Ace".

Links - It's not about winning, it's about having fun!
Links Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: ( $ ) El Escorpion 2005 by Mike Jones Reply with quote

Ace again. Great update to a fun and challenging course. Thanks Mike.

~ Give the world the best you have and the best will come back to you. ~
JW
Official LC Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: ( $ ) El Escorpion 2005 by Mike Jones Reply with quote

Although not my favorite in the MJ collection, this is a major upgrade and a huge improvement on what was a very fine course. The greens are infinitely more playable and the course an overall pleasure. Ace all the way. Clap

LCA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: ( $ ) El Escorpion 2005 by Mike Jones Reply with quote

I gave this course an eagle, while the APCD technique is fine I think that there are a quite a few other fictional courses that have finer golf course architecture. Pacific Breaks, Burn's Old Links and Las Joyas just to name a few of this designer's layouts all have hole after hole that are more memorable than any at El Escorpion. Examples of other courses that are better examples of golf course architecture are Tall Pines Estate and Hunters Wood (please could the designer give this course a refresh for Links 2003 Yes ).

Although the redesigning of El Escorpion is a significant improvement over the Links 2001 version I feel that it doesn't warrant an ace as there is still a bit too much reliance on target golf (which I don't like). Great courses should have a variety of outstanding holes.

I am aware that some may possibly find this review over critical but I am sure Mike is big enough to take my comments in the spirit they are intended.

Cheers

Lindsay

jvgolfer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: ( $ ) El Escorpion 2005 by Mike Jones Reply with quote

"ACE"
What more can I say

A bad day at golf is better then a good day at work.
binkyt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: ( $ ) El Escorpion 2005 by Mike Jones Reply with quote

A great update. Superb planting, green complexes, everything. The par 3 3rd remains the prettiest fictional hole in Links. Another easy ace for MJ.

Kwixilver

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: ( $ ) El Escorpion 2005 by Mike Jones Reply with quote

Many changes/ improvements, as the result of much time and thought, delivers a stunning new look and feel. Some of the most subtle changes contributed the greatest to the reworked design. Beautifully done, Mike.
Definately another ACE.

Rick

Xilver Series Designer - Pano Master
http://xilverdesigns.20m.com/
Xilver (something) in progress
Aviara 2010 in progress
"Don't be a prique, embrace the clique."
guitarget

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: ( $ ) El Escorpion 2005 by Mike Jones Reply with quote

The free version was an Ace, easy - this one obviously looks and plays better, so I guess Ace+ would be in order. Clap

Scientist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: ( $ ) El Escorpion 2005 by Mike Jones Reply with quote

There simply isn't a vote high enough for MJ's courses new or redo they are still the benchmark for me. Yes

Anuvva gem Mike and the nice thing is I got 2 versions of this now and will keep both happily. Clap Clap

I'd rather have a full bottle infront of me than a full frontal labotomy.......
Curt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject: ( $ ) El Escorpion 2005 by Mike Jones Reply with quote

Wow, 4 votes of Bogey or worse. This can only mean one thing .............................. yep, Ace. Clap

My designs:
Edgbaston Golf Club - released August 2006
Wentworth West OWGC08 - released October 2008
MainerTodd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: ( $ ) El Escorpion 2005 by Mike Jones Reply with quote

I confess, this was not one of my favorite MJ courses for Links 2001. Unlike many of Mike's other courses, El Escorpion seemed to offer an excess of "target golf," so for me it just wasn't fun. The partial update that he did improved the look, but it wasn't enough to convince me to keep it on my hard drive.

This full update for Links 2003, however, is a great improvement. Although my memory of the earlier versions is a bit hazy now, this new version seems much more playable. Whereas the 2001 version was overly penal in places and even a bit artificial--i.e. I couldn't imagine the course existing in real life--the 2003 update delivers a much more realistic challenge, much more in keeping with Mike's other courses. Although this version is still difficult--I've broken par, but only just--it's much fairer. And, it goes without saying, much more attractive with new textures, seam blending, and so forth.

The instinct of a man is to pursue everything that flies from him, and to fly from all that pursue him.
-Voltaire
wizard54

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: Wow!!! Reply with quote

Always one of my favorite courses. This update brings it back into my Top 10 all time links courses. Great texture colors, planting and atmosphere. Thanks Mike

Mailman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: ( $ ) El Escorpion 2005 by Mike Jones Reply with quote

Bought the reworked course a while back but hadn't got round to playing it until yesterday. Was much fairer than the previous versions but still required some serious shot-making and positioning to score well. It actually felt like a new course really with flashbacks to certain holes that I could remember. I too played it at B/M/M at Champ RTS scoring +2 which reflected how I played. Am not sure how I would cope with F/F Laugh

Great upgrade Mike - wished I had played it sooner Cheers

I really am a Mailman IRL - http://www.boyntonbeach.com/history/mailman/
Andy Scott
wizard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: ( $ ) El Escorpion 2005 by Mike Jones Reply with quote

Ace! Not my favorite Mike Jones course, but his worst work still deserves an ace as far as I'm concerned.

Steviebone

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Eagle but ACE Reply with quote

I was about to give this course an eagle when I realized I was playing on the older version without seam blending etc... so I will reserve final judgment until I get a hold of the updated version...

Certainly Mike's courses are all ACE's since my only real crtique of this course was the lack of seam blending, some of the textures seemed unrealistic to me... but this being in comparison with more recent advances in the APCD...

Mike's courses have all been worth the price of a decent hamburger and then some...

Thanks for sharing Mike.

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Course Polls & User Reviews All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

New to Links? Buy Links 2003 download version here and support this site.