Please support Links Corner    

Make your views count - make sure you vote in the Player's Choice polls.
TAD River East(Dunes Course)by Scott Gavenlock (1/2005)Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next View older topic :: View newer topic  

How do you rate TAD River East(Dunes Course)??
Ace
46%
 46%  [ 63 ]
Eagle
38%
 38%  [ 52 ]
Birdie
13%
 13%  [ 18 ]
Par
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Bogey - Must be accompanied by an explanatory post!
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 135

tim stewart

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: TAD River East(Dunes Course)by Scott Gavenlock (1/2005) Reply with quote

AAAAH ! Ya Big Show Off Tongue practice mode again Mick ? Whistle

k-mancpbh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: TAD River East(Dunes Course)by Scott Gavenlock (1/2005) Reply with quote

Wow, another course like Whitewebbs that kinda came outta left field.

Unique look and feel and a very challenging layour with great variability of clubs used on approach shots and thinking off of the tee. The APCD work is excellent and I give this one an Ace- great work bud! --K

GO TERPS
Rehit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: TAD River East(Dunes Course)by Scott Gavenlock (1/2005) Reply with quote

i never play in practice mode...
i just make a lot of aces... Clap

apcd-courses.com
Leader of the "clique"
always Rehit
cougar24

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: TAD River East(Dunes Course)by Scott Gavenlock (1/2005) Reply with quote

Rehit wrote:

... ...

Clap ... Cheers

Back to the course..

I really like the look of this course.. very unique look to it. It has that very windy washed out look.

I give this one an Ace also... Clap
I doubt I'll shoot many Aces here though...
Erm Baby

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age. - Lucille ball
legy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:50 am    Post subject: TAD River East(Dunes Course)by Scott Gavenlock (1/2005) Reply with quote

Rehit wrote:

and unlimited Mulligan's on Yes

Whistle

but at least you've had an ACE Thumb Up

I'am still searching for that ACE Unsure Yes Laugh

Rehit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:58 am    Post subject: TAD River East(Dunes Course)by Scott Gavenlock (1/2005) Reply with quote

let me know how many mullies you have to take before you get an ace... Scared
they are on for online play since the game will often take back a shot on resume...

apcd-courses.com
Leader of the "clique"
always Rehit
legy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject: TAD River East(Dunes Course)by Scott Gavenlock (1/2005) Reply with quote

Surrender No offence met Tomato sorry

and I just played the course Clap

what's not to like Thumb Up

bkmanns

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: TAD River East(Dunes Course)by Scott Gavenlock (1/2005) Reply with quote

A fine job and I gave it an "eagle". Tough--but a fair course. Only negative would be the large # of serpentine, narrow fairways.

Fourputt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: TAD River East(Dunes Course)by Scott Gavenlock (1/2005) Reply with quote

legy wrote:
Surrender No offence met Tomato sorry

and I just played the course Clap

what's not to like Thumb Up

Just as a confirmation... We have always been in the habit of having mullies on for online play. I never turn them on except for that either. Like Rehit says, someone's connection always seems to drop just as you hit the shot of a lifetime, and we don't feel like one player should be punished for the inadequate connection of another. Back in 2k1, I used to have meter glitches too, especially after I switched to PS, and mullies were needed to make up for my system deficiencies. Dunno

I don't recall any of us ever having to try and re-do an ace though. Laugh

Rick - Champ RTS (No grid) Mod only
Fourputt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject: TAD River East(Dunes Course)by Scott Gavenlock (1/2005) Reply with quote

A most intriguing design. I'm having trouble rating it however, because even though it is a fun course to play, I do have some issues with it. As others have mentioned, the gray "sand" is somewhat hard to come to grips with. It gives me the feeling that someone is using the course to dump the collection bin from his Hoover Wind Tunnel vacuum. Or like someone built a golf course on a terra-formed moonscape. That's not a totally negative concept, but it is different enough for me to have trouble defining my own reaction to it.

One other thing struck me hard on my first time around the course. His intention on the 18th hole seems to have been to make one think about club selection on the tee, but for me, the distribution of fairway bunkers does just the opposite. It tells me to take the driver and hit it as hard as I can. The reason is that there is just as much risk in laying up as there is in ripping one. In fact, there is even more risk, as being bunkered at 160 yards out is worse than being bunkered at 135 out, and I have a reasonable chance to clear the bunkers with a good swing, leaving only a PW or SW to the hole. So I just let the big guy loose to see what would happen. As it turned out I mis-hit it on the toe and was left with 130 from the right rough. Playing the Mod at Firm/Slow, I really had no choice but to dump it in the greenside bunker, take my up and down for an easy par. I think that with a more generous layup area, he might have encouraged more players to use the escape route, but I don't see many trying to hit that relatively small haven.

I guess with all that, it gets an eagle from me. Very close to an Ace, but not quite there. All in all, a masterful concept, well executed for the most part, and I will hang onto The Dunes Course for a long time.

Thanks Scott, for donating your time and effort in offering this course to us. Thumb Up

larry-warrilow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: TAD River East(Dunes Course)by Scott Gavenlock (1/2005) Reply with quote

commenting from a champ level point of view, at 6966 yards i thought i was in for a nice relaxing walk in the park, but just the opposite was laying in wait for me. that's because the designer, on hole after hole constructed traps in the fairway that confounded my normal conservative lay-up game, a necessity at champ on a course where the widths of the fairways are not exactly generous.

at #2 361yd par4, a modest length, the options are curious: three small traps thwart a 3w lay-up, but a driver, even in the rough, is an ok play. a 2i tee shot leaves 147 to the flag, not bad either. what those those traps accomplish is uncertain. #3 550yd par5 has another trap at 250, so i played the hole 2i,2i,8i, probably not what scott had in mind.
#4 488yd par5 has another trap at 250, and my 2i lay-up (219yds from the tee) revealed a graphic goof at the end of the cart path where it's ending left corner appears to be hanging in midair.

[edit: after finishing, i went back to this spot in practice mode and tried chipping a ball through it and links promptly crashed to black screen, fatal error- cause: nested exception invalid size field! system memory texture. links also crashed on #14 during my original round, but gave me a resume, so there may be a similar problem there, which i didn't immediately believe had been caused by a feature of the course. now, i think it's a real possibility. links has never crashed on me during play since i started playing 2k3 in oct '02.]

at #7 491yd par4, a possible 243yd uphill leave by a 3w lay-up forces a driver, but traps await a quartering downwind driver at 288.

#10 488yd par5 seems a lock to be reached, but at champ, both driver and 3w are seriously threatened by a pond. so for me: 2i,5i,lw. and for you 'roided up bombers (or those with the mod) that clear the pond with a driver, after the front plateau, you have a reverse slope green to contend with as a reward for your heroics. #12 465yd par4 into the wind, requires a driver. my shot came to rest on a sand cart path that was labeled "rough", but my 5i leapt off it like hardpan, and bounded over yet another reverse slope green.
at #15 369yd par4 downwind, on a modest length hole, traps in the fairway awaited at 266 and 293, leaving me basically with a coin toss as to what club to risk. #16 480yd par5 looks like another reachable 5 but the corridor to the reverse sloped green ( which is very picturesque) is squeezed tightly by overhanging trees, effectively making it a three shotter. #17 473yd par4, mercifully downwind, has a long trap on the right starting at 228, so you might as well hit whatever you like. the fairway is pretty well tilted from right to left away from this trap from where it begins. #18 466yd par4 downwind, has a pot bunker in the fairway at 260 for the lay-up guys and three more at 280 to 290 for the bombers, so it's russian roulette off the tee again. after my approach from the rough, the nightmare sidehill lie i was treated to in the front bunker had to be seen to be appreciated.

after all this grousing you'd think i'd barely escaped with my life, but in fact finished at -7 (33/32), [only]7dif, 14gir, 25 putts, champ breezy m/m. the course plays a good bit longer than 6966yds because of some of the shorter than usual lay-ups. building traps in an already thrifty fairway, pretty much eliminates that fairway for champ players who must avoid fairway bunkers like smallpox. on the other hand, the rough is managable, and i did plenty of scrambling for pars all day (hey, only 7 fairways in reg,). the greens were interestingly contoured, and obviously i made some putts.

the gray cast of the areas in the rough could easily be a mixture of wind blown sand and dirt, a common sight to those of us in some areas of florida.

the course looked great, but it was a problematic play at champ because of the placement of the fairway sand, and on a windy day would be borderline impossible. scott gavenlock has produced a very pleasing setting for tad river east. the pro level players will probably enjoy themselves here, but i wish the shot values for we nonmod champ level guys were set up a bit better. lw

Crusader

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: TAD River East(Dunes Course)by Scott Gavenlock (1/2005) Reply with quote

larry-warrilow wrote:
at #2 361yd par4, a modest length, the options are curious: three small traps thwart a 3w lay-up, but a driver, even in the rough, is an ok play. a 2i tee shot leaves 147 to the flag, not bad either. what those those traps accomplish is uncertain.

i believe the traps simply try and prevent the 3w / 5w lay up and encourage you to rip the driver which if you hook can lead to bigger trouble.
i play elite level and almost always tee off with a 3w as the 1w is very penal - in this regard then this hole does a good job of asking me the question do i feel lucky with a 1w here

i think you have to see each hole as asking different questions of different players - some holes make the 1w a risk so a lay up is better, others ask you to risk the 1w as the lay up is risky - the 18th best play is arguably to lay up or aim for the rough - and if you think this is wrong then just remember this happens on the PGA tour too.

Fourputt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: TAD River East(Dunes Course)by Scott Gavenlock (1/2005) Reply with quote

Crusader wrote:

i think you have to see each hole as asking different questions of different players - some holes make the 1w a risk so a lay up is better, others ask you to risk the 1w as the lay up is risky - the 18th best play is arguably to lay up or aim for the rough - and if you think this is wrong then just remember this happens on the PGA tour too.

Most holes I would agree with you... there were some definite decisions to made here on the Dunes Course. But on 18, I still feel that the layup entails more risk than the bomb, and I don't see that as a normal situation. The point behind laying up off the tee is that you sacrifice distance for a safer shot, leaving a longer approach, but leaving yourself with a better lie. In this case, you are equally likely to be bunkered or in the rough on the layup, so why bother? IMO, rather a short shot from trouble than a long one. Dunno

jvgolfer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: TAD River East(Dunes Course)by Scott Gavenlock (1/2005) Reply with quote

Really enjoyed playing the course the designer did a great job with the textures, I gave it an Eagle.

Would like to have some screenshot for my desktop

A bad day at golf is better then a good day at work.
brblinkster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: TAD River East(Dunes Course)by Scott Gavenlock (1/2005) Reply with quote

Unusual textures used for the rough but it fits in superbly with the rest of the course i found it an extremelly well layed out enjoyable course and gave it an Ace for originality and enjoyment and i congratulate the designer on a very fine course

Bruce.R
binkyt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:35 am    Post subject: TAD River East(Dunes Course)by Scott Gavenlock (1/2005) Reply with quote

Instantly one of my alltime favorites. Definitely some of the best textures I have ever seen AND it's a fun layout that requires a lot of thought. Big, big ACE.

mwalimu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: TAD River East(Dunes Course)by Scott Gavenlock (1/2005) Reply with quote

I expected to like this course a lot, but I have trouble rating it as high as some of the others here. It was hard to tell the fairway from the rough in most of the views and several of the holes played like target golf. Probably a nitpick, but there were a few spelling errors in the hole previews. Nevertheless, a nice looking course, beautiful to look at, and challenging. Birdie.

arnydgreat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: TAD River East(Dunes Course)by Scott Gavenlock (1/2005) Reply with quote

Gave it a birdie. Excellant job building it, but i gotta admit, those gray areas just totally turned me off. Really dont like that look, and it destroyed my enjoyment of this fine course.

ITS GREAT TO HAVE FRIENDS ALL OVER THE WORLD THRU THIS FORUM!!!!
MainerTodd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: TAD River East(Dunes Course)by Scott Gavenlock (1/2005) Reply with quote

Hmm...I haven't voted yet, since I'm still unsure how I feel about this course. I really love the overall look, although I agree that the rough isn't quite right. No matter, I like different looks, so I can accept and even embrace that. What really confuses my feelings are the fairways--I think they are much too tight and penal. Nevertheless, variety is the spice of life, so I'm not going to knock the course just because I personally prefer wider fairways. Maybe this is just the course I need to force me to start driving the ball straighter! At any rate, I'll play the course another few times, and then vote...

The instinct of a man is to pursue everything that flies from him, and to fly from all that pursue him.
-Voltaire
wizard54

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:13 am    Post subject: TAD River East(Dunes Course)by Scott Gavenlock (1/2005) Reply with quote

I am also conflicted about this course. It is so unique, interesting and fun to look at that I want to like it. For about the first 12 holes I really enjoyed my round. It felt like a real championship level course and a lot of the views are stunning. The blind tee shots and narrow fairways finally started to wear down the "fun" factor for me at around the 12th hole. By the time I reached the 18th tee with the caddy (designer) saying that hitting it the rough might be the best tee shot, I didn't find it amusing. If the fairways were a little more generous and there weren't so many "hit it and pray" blind tee shots, I would have enjoyed it more. The length of many of the holes, along with sand everywhere and decently tough green complexes, are enough to make this a challenge without making the driving such a task. I got used to the gray color (although I prefer a TAD more green in my grass), but the spray painted effect around the bunkers was a bit odd.
I play champ click and don't aim in the top cam, so those who play pro level and aim in the top cam might like the very things that are irritating to me. If I didn't like so many things about this course I'd just say "Oh well" and move on. It reminds me of Ayrshire Dunes. A course where the ambience of the place draws me back, but I always end up swearing I'll never play it again and ranting about how MJ is a Devil sadist.
Truly a masterpiece though in a lot of ways and a great addition to the many great designs we've been given by all the generous designers here, but definitely a Jekyle and Hyde course.

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Course Polls & User Reviews All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

New to Links? Buy Links 2003 download version here and support this site.