Please support Links Corner    

Golf is an easy game... it's just hard to play. - Anon
TAD River East(Dunes Course)by Scott Gavenlock (1/2005)Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next View older topic :: View newer topic  

How do you rate TAD River East(Dunes Course)??
Ace
46%
 46%  [ 63 ]
Eagle
38%
 38%  [ 52 ]
Birdie
13%
 13%  [ 18 ]
Par
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Bogey - Must be accompanied by an explanatory post!
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 135

cougar24

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: TAD River East(Dunes Course)by Scott Gavenlock (1/2005) Reply with quote

http://linkscorner.org/courses/course.php?crz=1542

What do you think of TAD River East(Dunes Course)??

Unsure

Please vote in the poll.

After you vote, please leave a few comments or some feedback for the designer
about his course and why you voted the way you did.

Thanks

Thumb Up

From the readme:

Rules
Quote:
ABOUT TAD RIVER

Thanks for downloading TAD River East (The Dunes Course), I hope you enjoy playing it as much as I have enjoyed bringing it to you.

This is the second of three courses in the TAD River series, the West Course was designed way back in 2001, it is hard to believe it was that long ago, it was my first attempt at an APCD course. The final TAD River course is the short course, it contains no par 5’s and only a few par 4’s. It is set in Lakeland area so there is plenty of water around this one, combined with lots of tall gum trees that encroach into the driving lines. There is little need to pull out much more that a three wood on this course as it is very tight.

TAD River East was initially laid down as an Oceanside course, and changed to a woodland / parkland style course. All of the textures are original textures created for this course, the seam blend texture is one I had been playing with for quite some time, I am sure this has been done before but for me I was looking for a look where the fairway and the rough areas blended together almost seamlessly.

In laying out this course my primary goal was to provide a course that was both nice to look at and memorable to play, I am very much a subscriber to the McKenzie style of course, where the golfer has to think their way around, rather than just blast away, there are some holes on the course where the driver can be ripped, but others where options must be thought up and played to perfection.

In designing a course these are essentially the main thought patterns I like to try and:-

• At the end of the round the player should remember every hole.
• At every tee the golfer should think about the placement of the tee shot for the best position for the second.
• The course should test the full range of the player’s bag. From booming drives to fine touch short irons.
• The driver should only be used in moderation, not on every hole.
• A par 5 does not necessarily need to be 600mtrs long to provide a challenge.
• The greens should be fair, but present some challenges.

This is nothing new, it has been published in about every golf course design book ever written.

The rough is fairly open, I have been careful on most holes to keep trees and heavy bushland out of play, though if a bad shot is played it will be punished severely, but the grass is not thick and allows for a full club.

I have also strived to make the greens challenging for the non mod players and not too difficult for the mod players, I think the day will come, if it already hasn’t where 1.06 will be the only way we will be playing this game.

Beta Testers

Many thanks to David Russell (crusader) who play tested the course, and put forward some great improvements as well as alerted to planting duplications, and texturing issues, it was great to have David’s input again as it was with the Bay of Islands release.

Many thanks to Viv Davies (vivo) for his technical assistance in spotting some issues I had with the textures.

Thanks also to the following people:

tim stewart
fasttrack
gary c
jeff3putt
cougar24
linka
DavidHolmes
JW
BruceM
69king
Scientist
Steiny
Crzycnuk
Mrblutarsky
Gowoods
Sisyphus
LeeHarris
Tdave
skunkle333

for taking the time to post in the topic, I do take a lot of notice of the feedback, and very much appreciate it.

(course hole descriptions and contact info follows)

Last edited by cougar24 on Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age. - Lucille ball
Crusader

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: TAD River East(Dunes Course)by Scott Gavenlock (1/2005) Reply with quote

amazing design - a profile and chart ranking has been added to my site

http://www.crusaderscourses.co.uk/

dazedcat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: TAD River East(Dunes Course)by Scott Gavenlock (1/2005) Reply with quote

What a course this is. Tough and very challenging without being tricked up, beautiful apcd work......and the bunkers (I found them all I think) are as good as anything I've seen by anyone.

Truly an ace if ever there was one.......course of the month easily. Thanks to the designer for his hard work that obviously went into this course. Personally speaking.......a must download for everyone. Not Worthy

Regards;

"Yo, bartender, Jobu needs a refill." -- Eddie Harris
Links Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: TAD River East(Dunes Course)by Scott Gavenlock (1/2005) Reply with quote

I agree with Ace, and I really enjoyed my round this morning at TAD River Dunes. A beautiful looking course and a very fine challenge of Links Golf. Thanks Scott for sharing your course with us!!
Not Worthy Not Worthy Not Worthy Not Worthy Not Worthy

~ Give the world the best you have and the best will come back to you. ~
WassupDawg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: TAD River East(Dunes Course)by Scott Gavenlock (1/2005) Reply with quote

Wow! ACE! Clap Beautiful apcd work, especially the seam-blending and a fun and challenging course to play. Thumb Up

mashie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: TAD River East(Dunes Course)by Scott Gavenlock (1/2005) Reply with quote

ACE all the way. I thought the textures and visual appearance were stunning. A difficult tract for us novice PS'ers but what a beauty.

FBlue

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: TAD River East(Dunes Course)by Scott Gavenlock (1/2005) Reply with quote

I am conflicted on this course. It has as different look to it and has a nice layout, with some beautiful holes. The course seemed very well done. It played nice with the mod as well. It just isn't a course I would pick to play with a guy who doesn't use a top cam or a elite friend who has never played it.

There is a lot of blind tee shots. It seemed like half the holes were that way. The hole previews didn't really help me. Could be the fact that it was in meters and not yards, which isn't the designers fault. It seemed obvious to me some thought was put into how to play the holes in the previews. But off the tee the tips were vague to not useful. It just didn't help me. The second and third shot information on the other hand was very good. Also some of the previews have the holes shown one way and others are flipped upside down. Making it a real task to figure where at and where to aim on this course.

This is a fine course that people who use the top cam will probably like alot. I think Scott done a very good job on this course and should be applauded. I just wish the hole previews where more helpful.

Matt - RTS Elite
chopinpa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: TAD river excellent! Reply with quote

Beautiful design, challenging yet fair at the same time. I enjoyed the blind tee shots, certainly something that can be encountered IRL.

And my enjoyment certainly was not lessened by my eagle on the par 4 7th - stroked a little 4-iron into the cup for my first such shot using the mod. Clap

jamolfc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: TAD River East(Dunes Course)by Scott Gavenlock (1/2005) Reply with quote

beautiful apcd work done here, i really liked the textures gave it a unique feel to it. i just hope that one day i will get that good Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap

Way2Cool

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: TAD River East Reply with quote

WoW Ace here great course. Clap Clap Clap

gowoods

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: TAD River East(Dunes Course)by Scott Gavenlock (1/2005) Reply with quote

Great Work Scott, the Beta was great & now with the modifications it is BRILLIANT, played 2 rounds last night & thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
Definately an ACE & makes we wonder why I have paid good money for P2P courses, which arn't as good as this.
With recent courses such as Tad River and Augusta not to mention other great releases, the Links community is being spoiled as the design bar keeps getting higher.

Thanks
Gowwods

Corky

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: TAD River East(Dunes Course)by Scott Gavenlock (1/2005) Reply with quote

Just played a quick round a few minutes ago....super work Scott! Very natural looking course (with those soft textures reminiscent of Oklahoma Crossings or Tish Island) that is much fun to play...tight but fair. Can you ask for anything more?! Ace, for sure. Looking forward to the retooled TAD River West....another great challenging layout. Thanks and good to have you back and designing again.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"-Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Scientist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: TAD River East(Dunes Course)by Scott Gavenlock (1/2005) Reply with quote

An absolute GEM and a tuffy to boot.

Ace all the way for me and into my top 10. Thumb Up Yes Clap

I'd rather have a full bottle infront of me than a full frontal labotomy.......
yoselahonda

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: TAD River East(Dunes Course)by Scott Gavenlock (1/2005) Reply with quote

I think it's a very well done course APCD wise. I didn't think there was enough variation between faiway width and I also thought that pinching the fairways with bunkers right in the middle was over done on some holes. Hole 18 is pretty much a hit and hope hole because laying up short of the bunkers isn't really an option. Mostly I just felt that some of the bunkering and narrowness took away from options for the player and it became not a course of decision making, but a course of laying up and surrenduring.
I think there was a lot of potential shown though, I mean once a player has the APCD skills down, then it's just about the course design itself which is quite an achievement. Design wise I thought the best feature of the course were the angles. I was glad to see fairways and greens that weren't just straight ahead but were to be approached obliquely which is great visually and requires different shotmaking skills. I saw some holes that were excellent and should never be changed. However, I think widening the fairways in some holes, and removing some of the bunkering (or adjusting their positions) would actually increase the quantity of these angles and give more variety to the degree and nature of them.
I find golf very fun when being at different parts of a hole can greatly change the nature and challenge of the next shot and not just effecting the distance required. In short I like increases in the variety of options not just the same couple of options every time I tee it up. If I only have one option on my shot, I'd like it to be because I'm the dummy who put myself there.
I did like this course, strong eagle in my oppinion. The designer should feel very good about himself.

VegasMike

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: TAD River East(Dunes Course)by Scott Gavenlock (1/2005) Reply with quote

I had a hard time deciding if this course should rank as an ACE or an EAGLE. Finally, after careful consideration, I opted for EAGLE, since I could not quite justify ranking it up with such courses as Las Joyas and Augusta National.

"Ninety percent of the putts that are short don't go in" -- Yogi Berra
granite00

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: TAD River East(Dunes Course)by Scott Gavenlock (1/2005) Reply with quote

A challenging course that is very well done. I'm not in love with the gray color of the heavy rough, but that's a very small distraction.

One disappointment: I wish the designer had chosen to plant more than 4 pins per green.

Aloha,
granite00
Crusader

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: TAD River East(Dunes Course)by Scott Gavenlock (1/2005) Reply with quote

actually i think we will see a trend towards less pins in the future as designers try to ensure that pins are fair for both the 1.05 and 1.06 versions

using 18 pins becomes much more a scatter gun approach and why do we need so many

i would personally feel that 9 pins per green is the best number, 3 for each setting

mickydavies

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: TAD River East(Dunes Course)by Scott Gavenlock (1/2005) Reply with quote

The most enjoyable course I've ever played. A definite ACE - and I got one on the 5th - my first with Links 2003!

Every hole was presented beautifully - it looked like the real thing.

jfjimmar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: TAD River East(Dunes Course)by Scott Gavenlock (1/2005) Reply with quote

An ACE of a course. Beautifully done. A challenging and enjoyable course to play. Thanks for sharing your hard work with us linksters. Thumb Up

Rehit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: TAD River East(Dunes Course)by Scott Gavenlock (1/2005) Reply with quote

i figured i would go see what all the raving was about.
needless to say the course is very impressive.
it is beautiful at high resolution.
for the people who have been requesting a screen from new courses.
this course deserves one...

in case anyone was wondering how i voted...
i will let the second screenshot speak for itself... Whistle

well done Scott Clap

apcd-courses.com
Leader of the "clique"
always Rehit
View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Course Polls & User Reviews All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

The best wood in most amateurs' bags is the pencil. - Anon