Please support Links Corner    

Want to play Links again but lost your CDs? Buy Links 2003 download version here and support this site.

Creating a computer opponent View older topic :: View newer topic  
deacondan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Creating a computer opponent Reply with quote

Why can't I/can I create a computer opponent that is amateur? Thanks for any help.

Adelade

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Creating a computer opponent Reply with quote

I think theres simply no reason to have Amateur for computer players, if your goal is to have them at a certain skill level you can make a computer player and adjust their skill stats in Options > Players > "Computer skills" bottom left under "Rename"

deacondan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Creating a computer golfer Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I think you're right. I used the grading system and it does control the skill of your opponent/computer player.

billw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Creating a computer opponent Reply with quote

deacondan,

You can create a computer player and make him any ability you want.

BTW, have you seen my spreadsheet on creating pro computer golfers based on their yearly stats?

billw

deacondan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Creating a computer opponent Reply with quote

billw, you say you can create a computer player with any ability you want.I've tried, but my game won't let me make an amateur player. I have not seen your spreadsheet. How would it help me.Thanks

gene_golf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: Creating a computer opponent Reply with quote

The default setting when making a computer golfer is pro and has to play middle tees that can be changed to back tees or other tees. Using the abilities setting them all to far left or bad with total skill ability of 50 will make the computer player have a lot of missed shots, whereas conversely moving all the abilities to far right with total skill ability of 100 will be just the opposite. The aggressiveness factor is not relevant and does not apply as computer players aim for points in fairway even if as a player you see they might cut a corner of a dogleg to get closer to green, instead they always play it safe to spot in fairway even if they set up for draw or slice instead of hitting a straight shot. I am not sure what skill total is, but at certain point some players created are assigned champ skill level instead of pro level. Where I wrote of creating a player with the least skills across the board, that player will still be rated as a pro regardless. Creating a computer player to be rated as an amateur is impossible, but create one with the lowest skills and that is what you have. One point driving is accuracy, whereas by using billw's ratings he sets the rating of players for 60 per cent accuracy from what he has told me. The computer players have the same 14 clubs in their bag and hit the same distances. That is with exception of Annika, Jesper, David Toms and the original Sergio where they drive 275 yards at the maximum. It would be interesting to see what their skills are set at, but this is hidden.

Danny D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Creating a computer opponent Reply with quote

gene_golf wrote:
The aggressiveness factor is not relevant and does not apply as computer players aim for points in fairway even if as a player you see they might cut a corner of a dogleg to get closer to green, instead they always play it safe to spot in fairway even if they set up for draw or slice instead of hitting a straight shot.
My understanding as to why they do this, is because they are aiming at the spot where the designer placed the tee shot landing. If that distance were for example, 250yds, most of the time, the computer players will shoot at that spot. In other words, I believe the comp players are programmed to follow the distances and directions set by the designers when making up the tee shot landing areas on par fours, and the second shot landing areas for par fives.

Cheers Dan

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
billw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Creating a computer opponent Reply with quote

deacondan,

Look under Misc Add-On Downloads

Links Computer Players

billw

gene_golf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:38 am    Post subject: Creating a computer opponent Reply with quote

Danny D wrote:
gene_golf wrote:
The aggressiveness factor is not relevant and does not apply as computer players aim for points in fairway even if as a player you see they might cut a corner of a dogleg to get closer to green, instead they always play it safe to spot in fairway even if they set up for draw or slice instead of hitting a straight shot.
My understanding as to why they do this, is because they are aiming at the spot where the designer placed the tee shot landing. If that distance were for example, 250yds, most of the time, the computer players will shoot at that spot. In other words, I believe the comp players are programmed to follow the distances and directions set by the designers when making up the tee shot landing areas on par fours, and the second shot landing areas for par fives.
Cheers Dan

The holes that with this strategy are some that I hate most are ones that are straight with say a creek out about 260 yards from tee forcing a layup or trying to carry creek in order to say possibly reach green in 2 shots on a par 5 or to have a mid iron instead of a long iron into green on a long par 4. With optimal conditions of playing downwind and/or having the tee shot go downhill this can be seen to take advantage of by a human golfer. The computer created golfer will always play to spot for drive in front of the creek as dan mentioned as that is the program default here in Links.

Danny D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:53 am    Post subject: Creating a computer opponent Reply with quote

gene_golf wrote:
Danny D wrote:
gene_golf wrote:
Cheers Dan

The holes that with this strategy are some that I hate most are ones that are straight with say a creek out about 260 yards from tee forcing a layup or trying to carry creek in order to say possibly reach green in 2 shots on a par 5 or to have a mid iron instead of a long iron into green on a long par 4. With optimal conditions of playing downwind and/or having the tee shot go downhill this can be seen to take advantage of by a human golfer. The computer created golfer will always play to spot for drive in front of the creek as dan mentioned as that is the program default here in Links.
The perfect example of this is hole one at Bunclody Golf & Fishing Club. As I mentioned before, on a par 5 the game will point you toward the marker that is set for the spot that the programmer placed for the second shot landing area, no matter what the distance. Tonight at hole 1 at Bunclody, I played a par 5 with a dogleg left that was unreachable if I played the correct fairway. So I chose to play into the fairway to the left of the hole 1, which left me 265 to the hole. However, for my 2nd shot it pointed me toward the correct fairway about 100 yards in front of the green, causing me to have to rotate way to the left toward the pin.

Dan

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
KunkleMan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Creating a computer opponent Reply with quote

Good rule of thumb----Never accept what the game points to---always pick your own desired landing spot.

No. 1 rule of golf-----Make sure you stay on the RIGHT side of the grass!!
View older topic :: View newer topic  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

These damn Axis weapons don't work! - Sgt Sneaky Bastage AKA Axe R.I.P.