Please support Links Corner    

Golfer: I've played so poorly all day; I think I'm going to go drown myself in that lake.
Caddy: I doubt you could keep your head down that long.
Question about 3D Structure Top Views View older topic :: View newer topic  
Danny D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:09 am    Post subject: Question about 3D Structure Top Views Reply with quote

Hi all...

I have been noticing that some of the APCD provided 3D structures don't show up in the TOP cam in Links. Does anyone know why? Is this only with certain versions of the object libraries?

Thanks,

Dan

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
Eddie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Question about 3D Structure Top Views Reply with quote

Hi Dan , the work around is once you plant a 3 D house , bridge or other permanent structure ,build some faces,texture the surface and insert it inside the planted object. The top view doesn't transfer from APCD to Links ,it"s always been that way. Good luck! Smile

Danny D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:54 am    Post subject: Question about 3D Structure Top Views Reply with quote

Eddie wrote:
Hi Dan , the work around is once you plant a 3 D house , bridge or other permanent structure ,build some faces,texture the surface and insert it inside the planted object. The top view doesn't transfer from APCD to Links ,it"s always been that way. Good luck! Smile

LOL! I know you can only see a texture from one side. What the heck did they do, put the roofs on upside down? Laugh

I'm experimenting with something new (for me). I'm not sure how it will work out, but I can always undo it if I have to. In an effort to make the course look as close as possible to the real one, I'm adding the top views of the houses using screen shots from Google Earth. I'll then plant the 3D houses on top of the Google Earth pictures. Obviously the house shapes won't match the pictures, but these are just surrounding neighborhoods and none of them are on the course so it shouldn't be that noticeable to a player. You will only see most of them thru trees and at a distance.

This to me is totally experimental right now. I have no idea how it will work out. There are a lot of thick trees surrounding the course, so you'll not really be able to see the overhead shots up close from the ground. However, you will be able to see the 3D houses along the sides of a few holes. I'm hoping to make the top views look like the real thing.

So far I've dropped in 12 google Earth top views. Some are 1024x1024, and some are 1024x512. I know it will add a lot to the file size with all of these top views, but I'm mostly concerned right now with how much the 3D houses will add to the overall file size. Note that the top views I added are the colorful ones with the trees that are starting to turn colors for the fall season. I will be planting trees on top of the trees in the pictures and adding shadows, so that will help to get things to blend together better. These are some pretty clear screen shots from Google Earth. They may not look real bad in the game. Here's what I have laid into my overhead view so far.

As far as the course, it is completely laid out and the first 4 holes are textured with seam blending completed. I stopped adding textures and seam blending after the 4th hole and started working on building the 3D structures. I have pretty much all of the 3D structures built. The clubhouse, the starter/tennis shack , a bathroom/snack shop, tennis courts, practice grounds, 7 bridges, all of the highways and cart paths and the creek that runs across the entire plot. There's a couple more small buildings, but nothing major. As I was working I kept trying to think of how I could add those houses that lined the edges of a few holes to make it look like the actual course. Most of them can't be seen thru all the thick trees, and many of them are elevated above eye level so you won't see the ground from the course. I decided to venture into adding these top views and see what would happen, so, for the past 2 days I've been dropping in these top views.

Any opinions from anyone? Do you think it will work?

Thanks again,

Dan

Here are some screen shots of where I'm at with it so far.

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
JWGriffinGCA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Question about 3D Structure Top Views Reply with quote

Dan, that clubhouse is going to be spectacular. Clap I'm glad that it's well positioned coming up the 18th hole so that everyone will get to see it - would be a shame for it to be off to the side somewhere!

Interesting approach for the top views. I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work. File size shouldn't really be a huge concern anymore.

Great work so far!

John

When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me! -Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz
Ian wells

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Question about 3D Structure Top Views Reply with quote

Dan,
I agree with John, the clubhouse looks fantastic.

The occasional times I do play Links I use Top View (need all the help I can get) but I thought that that only shows the area adjacent to the hole - which is all as a player I am interested in.

When I am working in APCD I am continually looking at the course from on high and because of that I want to include everything. But is everything required? On Wade Hampton I spent time on the driving range, time on the practice putting area and the pro-shop, none of which will be seen by the player - or one hopes not. Whistle

Is the designer of the APCD making the course for their pleasure, or that of the player? As the designer you show what you whant. And so it should be.

A short answer Dan, do what you feel is right, and enjoy doing so.

Good luck with the course.

Ian

Eddie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Question about 3D Structure Top Views Reply with quote

Looks fantastic Dan! Smile Thanks for sharing!

Danny D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject: Question about 3D Structure Top Views Reply with quote

JWGriffinGCA wrote:
Dan, that clubhouse is going to be spectacular. Clap I'm glad that it's well positioned coming up the 18th hole so that everyone will get to see it - would be a shame for it to be off to the side somewhere!

Interesting approach for the top views. I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work. File size shouldn't really be a huge concern anymore.

Great work so far!

John
Thanks John. I still have to de-shadow the clubhouse and the other 3D structures. I'll save that for the end. That clubhouse sits up on a hill and overlooks the 18 hole. It will be highly noticeable all the way up 18. Here's a picture of it from the front of the 2-tiered 18th green.

Best wishes,

Dan

Danny D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Question about 3D Structure Top Views Reply with quote

Ian wells wrote:
Dan,
I agree with John, the clubhouse looks fantastic.

The occasional times I do play Links I use Top View (need all the help I can get) but I thought that that only shows the area adjacent to the hole - which is all as a player I am interested in.

When I am working in APCD I am continually looking at the course from on high and because of that I want to include everything. But is everything required? On Wade Hampton I spent time on the driving range, time on the practice putting area and the pro-shop, none of which will be seen by the player - or one hopes not. Whistle

Is the designer of the APCD making the course for their pleasure, or that of the player? As the designer you show what you whant. And so it should be.

A short answer Dan, do what you feel is right, and enjoy doing so.

Good luck with the course.

Ian
Thanks Ian. At first I was going to do the course without any buildings, but after Cap'n Nemo set me straight, Whistle I decided I would make every reasonable attempt to make the place look right. We all know that's impossible, but we can get pretty close in many cases. This is all new to me but I'm willing to give it a fair shot. Worst case is I may have to remove the top views. Since I'm in strange territory I'll find out as I go. I can tell you though, that 80% of the overall time I've spent on it so far has been doing the add-on work, such as the buildings and grounds.

Thanks again Ian and best wishes,

Dan

Danny D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject: Question about 3D Structure Top Views Reply with quote

Eddie wrote:
Looks fantastic Dan! Smile Thanks for sharing!
You're welcome Eddie, and thank you.

I played Harbor Town a couple of days ago. It was impressive and I loved it! Real nice work. Clap Thumb Up

Oh, if you get bored and are looking for something to pass the time, I could use another 3D building created at the swimming pools. Roll Eyes Laugh

Thanks again, and best wishes,

Dan

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Designers Corner All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

New to Links? Buy Links 2003 download version here and support this site.