Please support Links Corner    

I will shoot my age if I have to live to be 105. - Bob Hope
Links 2003 w/ Intel-Only Graphics or Intel + Nvidia Graphics - Solution FoundGoto page 1, 2  Next View older topic :: View newer topic  
PFDogs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Links 2003 w/ Intel-Only Graphics or Intel + Nvidia Graphics - Solution Found Reply with quote

UPDATE: This solution also seems to fix the graphical issues experienced on computers that only have Intel graphics cards. See the Intel-Only Graphics section below.

Backstory
Links 2003 players often have trouble getting Link 2003 to correctly utilize the Nvidia graphics card in laptops that have both Intel and Nvidia graphics. In my experience, the problem could sometimes be resolved by using the laptop manufacturer's original Nvidia graphics driver. In these cases, updating the Nvidia driver through Windows Update or the Nvidia website would break Links 2003 until the driver was reverted back to the manufacturer's driver. If you were fortunate to have a laptop with a working manufacturer's Nvidia driver, you just had to disable driver updates to enjoy playing Links 2003 on your laptop.

Systems with only Intel graphics have never worked well with Links 2003. Missing shadows and other graphical anomalies made the game mostly unplayable.

Finding A Better Solution
I was fortunate to have a Dell laptop with a functional manufacturer's Nvidia driver in the past, but I recently upgraded to an HP Omen gaming laptop. The HP laptop has an Intel+Nvidia graphics card combo just like the Dell, but Links 2003 could not utilize its Nvidia card, even with the manufacturer's original driver. Through some googling and testing, I believe I have found a solution. At the very least, it's working for me, and I'm hopeful that by passing it on, others can get Links 2003 working on their laptops too.

The solution: dgVoodoo2 - http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2.html

dgVoodoo2 is Direct X wrapper made to help older games work with modern computers. Download v2.55 and follow these instructions to get it working with Links 2003:

1. Extract the dgVoodoo v2.55 zip file.
2. From the MS subfolder, copy the 3 DLLs and paste them into your Links 2003 folder.
a. By default, this is C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Links 2003 on 64-bit versions of Windows.
b. Pro Distance users will want to place the DLLs in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Links 2003\LinksPD instead.
3. Run dgvoodooCpl.exe to configure the wrapper. Configure the settings on the General and Direct X tabs to match my configuration as shown at https://imgur.com/cDIOBh5.
4. Launch Links 2003 and verify that it says "dgVoodoo Direct X Wrapper" on the bottom of the screen as Links starts up. This ensures that Links is utilizing dgVoodoo2.
5. Start a practice round and look at the sky. When Links 2003 is only using the Intel graphics card, the sky is normally plastered with a repeating Links 2003 logo instead of the actual sky. With the dgVoodoo2 Direct X wrapper enabled, the sky should now look normal.

Anisotropic Filtering
Most experienced Links 2003 players know that Links looks best with anisotropic filtering enabled. Nvidia users are probably aware that this is accomplished by creating a LinksMMIII.exe Nvidia Control Panel profile and forcing anisotropic filtering to 16x. I'm happy to report that dgVoodoo2 will respect your LinksMMIII.exe Nvidia Control Panel profile, so I encourge you to create a LinksMMIII.exe profile with anisotropic filtering set to 16x. I also recommend to set the Power Management Mode on your LinksMMIII.exe profile to Prefer Maximum Performance. In my experience, the swing meter speed will be wildy inconsistent if this setting is not applied.

dgVoodoo2 also has its own 16x anisotropic filtering option as seen here: https://imgur.com/QAIGEMu. Nvidia systems should not use this option, but it seems to work quite well for Intel-only computers and provides crisper textures as it should. However, turning this on does result in some minor artifacts within Links, mostly on the fuzzier lie indicator and the swing meter as seen here: https://imgur.com/H0W2FzV.

Known Issues/Testing
1. I've played numerous rounds on my Intel+Nvidia HP laptop with this configuration, and it's been working wonderfully so far. The only issue I've had is that translucent golfer shadows do not display correctly. They seem to disappear into the ground texture. Opaque shadows work just fine. I'm waiting on a response from the dgVoodoo2 creator to see if he has any ideas on how to resolve that.

2. When you make a change to your graphic card configuration (such as turning dgVoodoo2 on or off), Links 2003 will often terminate on the next run. Restarting Links 2003 once or twice should clear that up.

3. With dgVoodoo2 enabled, Links 2003 may sometimes acquire a color tint when you change the resolution. Restarting Links 2003 should restore the color to normal in your newly set resolution.

Intel-Only Graphics
I happened to have a few laptops with only Intel graphics and dgVoodoo2 seems to have resolved the Links 2003 graphical issues on those too! The laptops had the following CPU and video cards:

Intel HD Graphics + Celeron
Intel HD Graphics + i3
Intel HD Graphics 5500 + i5

The Celeron system was understandably too slow to be happily playable, but looked great graphically. The i5 system wouldn't run Links 2003 with the base Intel driver at all, but worked great with dgVoodoo2 enabled. Here are some screenshots of the different configurations that I tried on all three systems. These are from the i3: Base Intel Driver ----- dgVoodoo2 Enabled ----- dgVoodoo2 Enabled w/ 16x AF

ATI/AMD Graphics
I don't have access to any systems with ATI/AMD graphics cards, but dgVoodoo2 could potentially help with those cards as well.

Conclusion
I wasn't sure I'd ever get Links 2003 working on my new laptop and here I am teeing it up at Augusta with working skies, a smooth swing meter, and 16x anisotropic filtering. I'm hopeful that dgVoodoo2 will allow us to continue playing Links 2003 on modern computers well into the future.

Last edited by PFDogs on Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:05 am; edited 5 times in total

sagevanni

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Links 2003 w/ Intel-Only Graphics or Intel + Nvidia Graphics - Solution Found Reply with quote

Mr. Dogs.........This has solved my graphics problems for Links2003.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much for this......!!!!!!!! I can even see shadows.....!!!!! Now if I could only fix my forest planting issue. Again...thanks. This will help in my design work also.

Sage..... Clap Clap Thumb Up Thumb Up Smile Smile

guitarzan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Links 2003 w/ Intel-Only Graphics or Intel + Nvidia Graphics - Solution Found Reply with quote

OMG! Tree shadows! Real sky! I can play Links 2003 on my laptop! When I first tried it, it crashed the game. Upon restarting, everything had a pink tinge but there was real sky and shadows. Restarting the 3rd time and Links looks absolutely beautiful! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!! Punk Punk Thumb Up Thumb Up

pmgolf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Links 2003 w/ Intel-Only Graphics or Intel + Nvidia Graphics - Solution Found Reply with quote

This needs to be a Sticky!

Pete

Scotty
Links Corner Admin
Links Corner Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Links 2003 w/ Intel-Only Graphics or Intel + Nvidia Graphics - Solution Found Reply with quote

Sticky it is and thank you PFDogs. Clap

Larry "Axe" Keezer aka Sgt. Sneaky Bastage

Farewell My Friend. You Will Always Be In My Thoughts.
PFDogs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Links 2003 w/ Intel-Only Graphics or Intel + Nvidia Graphics - Solution Found Reply with quote

Sage, I'm really glad this helped you and others. I see that you've been churning out the course designs. I hope the improved graphics will inspire your creativity even more! :) I downloaded all your course designs today and look forward to checking them out.

I played countless rounds over the weekend on my Intel+Nvidia HP laptop and didn't notice any graphical issues other than the golfer shadow issue mentioned above. Happy golfing everyone!

sagevanni

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Links 2003 w/ Intel-Only Graphics or Intel + Nvidia Graphics - Solution Found Reply with quote

Hi Dogs........I have a bunch of other courses I am working on. I have not planted any of them......still can not forest plant. I also have 3-4 others that have been planted before my issues popped up. Will be uploading soon. I have not gotten ANY comments on the betas I uploaded so will be releasing them as finals before the new ones get here as betas. Wish my forest planting was working........does anyone have a solution for the forest planting issue....??? I know some other threads have been talking about it but is there any others out there with a solution....???? Just throwing this out there.......would someone like to take a crack at planting them.....???? I asked "Fenderpinky" if he was interested but have not heard back from him.

Sage...... Naughty Naughty

gator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Links 2003 w/ Intel-Only Graphics or Intel + Nvidia Graphics - Solution Found Reply with quote

Sage,

Have you tried PFDogs' solution in your APCD directory/folder. It's worth a shot as I recall your forest planting issue began with switching to Windows 10.

sagevanni

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Links 2003 w/ Intel-Only Graphics or Intel + Nvidia Graphics - Solution Found Reply with quote

Hi Gator........Yes I did......it did not work. It made the graphics in APCD a little strange. It seemed to make them more enhanced but made the text when measuring distances jittery and not able to be seen unless moving the pointer but as soon as I held the pointer in place the text could not be seen so I disabled it.

Sage

PFDogs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Links 2003 w/ Intel-Only Graphics or Intel + Nvidia Graphics - Solution Found Reply with quote

Sage, when placing the DLLs in your APCD folder, I would also recommend to try playing with the settings on the DirectX tab in the dgVoodoo2 control panel to see if you could possibly get some different results.

Ian wells

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Links 2003 w/ Intel-Only Graphics or Intel + Nvidia Graphics - Solution Found Reply with quote

I have Intel integrated processors but thought I would try.

After extracting I ran dgvoodooCpl.exe, but my Norton Security software automatically removed it stating that it was unsafe.

Any ideas?

Edit
I copied the three .dll files and opened LINKS to find that I now have a sky and shadows under the trees.

My processor is Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-5005U CPU @ 2.00GHz, 2000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

Now I don't have to transfer from my working laptop to an older secondhand laptop each time I need to review the design.

Thank you kindly sir.

Max64

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Links 2003 w/ Intel-Only Graphics or Intel + Nvidia Graphics - Solution Found Reply with quote

Ian wells wrote:
I have Intel integrated processors but thought I would try.

After extracting I ran dgvoodooCpl.exe, but my Norton Security software automatically removed it stating that it was unsafe.

Any ideas?

Edit
I copied the three .dll files and opened LINKS to find that I now have a sky and shadows under the trees.

My processor is Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-5005U CPU @ 2.00GHz, 2000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

Now I don't have to transfer from my working laptop to an older secondhand laptop each time I need to review the design.

Thank you kindly sir.

These files can send virus software crazy. You just need to exclude them from your virus software. I've been using them for a long time now.

PFDogs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Links 2003 w/ Intel-Only Graphics or Intel + Nvidia Graphics - Solution Found Reply with quote

Sage, I don't use the APCD myself, but have you tried different graphics driver versions for your video card? What is the specific issue you're having with forest planting? I have access to few a different computers, and I'd be willing to put the APCD on them to see if I could replicate the issue.

Ian, as max64 said, you can safely exclude these files in your Norton. You might have to Google around to find out how to do that within Norton. I highly recommend doing this because dgVoodoo2 really does wonders for Links 2003 on Intel cards.

Ian wells

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Links 2003 w/ Intel-Only Graphics or Intel + Nvidia Graphics - Solution Found Reply with quote

[/quote]

Ian, as max64 said, you can safely exclude these files in your Norton. You might have to Google around to find out how to do that within Norton. I highly recommend doing this because dgVoodoo2 really does wonders for Links 2003 on Intel cards.[/quote]

As Links now shows the skies and shadows, do I really need to run the .exe, or are there more advantages to behold if I do?

Thanks,
Ian

sagevanni

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Links 2003 w/ Intel-Only Graphics or Intel + Nvidia Graphics - Solution Found Reply with quote

Hey Mr. Dogs......I don't have any issue other than forest planting. Create a closed shape, highlight it and click the forest plant icon, pick an object, specify a count number, click the plant icon and wham......you have planted the object specified to the count number you chose. Mine does not work since using win 10 on my new comp. Now the thing is it worked for a short time and then magically stopped. I have tried many things to get it working but to no avail.

Sage....... Wall Bash

Captain Nemo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Links 2003 w/ Intel-Only Graphics or Intel + Nvidia Graphics - Solution Found Reply with quote

Sage: I had to put Win 10 on my Laptop because The HP restore files for Win 8 were corrupt. I could not get Links to work in 10, however what I have noticed is the Win 10 Auto Update Feature (which cannot be turned off as in earlier versions) causes various issues.

For Instance after updates all my browser tabs are missing in all 3 browsers (Edge, Firefox and Chrome]. Also, over time, several games that initially were fine started crashing and other games that store specific data and info have been reset to their default setups. Note these are not old games but recent ones I downloaded from the Windows Store.

Essentially, Win 10 is an unmitigated mess as far as I can determine. I have ordered a custom built desktop PC running Win 7 to replace my old Desktop (still running XP), just to be safe.

How many Microsoft Programmers does it take to replace a light bulb? Just one.
However, you will be installing updates for all eternity!
sagevanni

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Links 2003 w/ Intel-Only Graphics or Intel + Nvidia Graphics - Solution Found Reply with quote

Thanks Mr. Nemo.......That sounds like what has happened and the most likely scenario.....I agree win 10 is a mess......with all the telemetry being sent to the NSA and other data gathering firms it seems it is nothing but crap.......If I had the $$$$ I would do the same thing.

Sage

grandpabruce

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Links 2003 w/ Intel-Only Graphics or Intel + Nvidia Graphics - Solution Found Reply with quote

I would hope that I will never need Windows 10 for anything. I was forced to upgrade to Windows 7 Pro, when I got a new computer last year, and Iím glad That I did. Windows 7 Pro is by far the best OS that Iíve ever had, and I donít plan to move out of it.

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971
PFDogs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Links 2003 w/ Intel-Only Graphics or Intel + Nvidia Graphics - Solution Found Reply with quote

Ian, if everything is working for you, then you don't necessarily need the EXE to work. I like to bump up the VRAM to 1024MB, but I'm not sure what effect that has on performance.

Sage, you probably already tried these, but have you experimented with the compatibility settings for your APCD.EXE? I would try all the different OS versions in there to see if you get a better result. I would also make sure you're running APCD as Administrator. I don't know the APCD at all, but I might see if I can reproduce this on one of my computers.

Howie97

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: dgVoodoo Reply with quote

Thank you so much for this fix. Links is one of my top 3 all time games and I have been playing for 21 years. Was very upset when my new laptop wouldn't play it. It is a combo Intel Integrated 630 with an Nvidia 1050Ti. This makes it work perfectly again!
CHEERS!!

"Behold the Golfer... He riseth up early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. Mighty are his preparations. He goeth forth full of hope, and when the day is spent, he returneth smelling of strong drink, & the truth is not in him."
View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Members Tech Forums All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

I was three over. One over a house, one over a patio, and one over a swimming pool. - George Brett