Please support Links Corner    

A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom. ~ Henry Beard
tropical island golf course View older topic :: View newer topic  
Shawnk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: tropical island golf course Reply with quote

I have started and thrown away a lot of golf courses over the past few years. I really want to finish one but I haven't been able to maintain motivation on one course for long enough. Perhaps starting a thread for my latest attempt and posting pictures will help me stay motivated. I need to do something different, that's for sure!

I started a new golf course today. This time, I will try elevating one hole at a time from a flat plot. It took me 8 hours to finish routing, shaping and elevating this par 5. If I can route, shape and elevate one hole a day, I should have a fully elevated and playable golf course in about 3 weeks.

I envision this course being set on its own tropical island, being accessible only by speed boat from the main island of a fancy nearby resort. I know that this is not a very original concept, but I like it and feel I can put my own original spin on it.

I have attempted this design before so I know how the holes will fit together. It will be a 7596 yard par 72 with the ocean coming into play on 10 holes. The best name I can come up with for the course right now is Luxe Island Golf Course, but I hope I can think of a better name.

I'll try to post pictures of the holes as they become playable.

Stephen W

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: tropical island golf course Reply with quote

How about Breadfruit Bay or Coconut Cay? Good luck with the design work.

Shawnk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: tropical island golf course Reply with quote

Thanks, Stephen! Those names are tasteful, but somehow I feel they sound better suited for a golf course set in the Caribbean. I imagine this course being part of a fancy island resort in the Pacific, something like the one in Wii Sports resort (The island golf course in that resort is named Wedge Island).

I read that "mokupuni" is Hawaiian for "island" and figured that Mokupuni Golf Club sounded okay so I'll use that as a placeholder. I still think I can come up with a better name, though.

Besides that, I finished elevating another hole.

Shawnk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: tropical island golf course Reply with quote

I settled on a name for the course: Islander's Golf Club.

I elevated a hole.

I created a flag.

Danny D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: tropical island golf course Reply with quote

Shawnk wrote:
It will be a 7596 yard par 72 with the ocean coming into play on 10 holes.
That's quite a long course. Did you manage to make it that long without choosing "non-regulation" holes?

Dan

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
crjones

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:58 am    Post subject: tropical island golf course Reply with quote

Hope you can keep the motivation going - we all know what that is like!

I have created a nice realistic looking 'lava wall" 1024 texture that I am using for the update of Mauna Kea. Looks like you might be going for a similar effect on your first hole- so if you want to try it out, just PM me your email address and I will send it to you.

For your island course, you should check out Lez Marwick's Anakena Beach. Its unlocked and there are some great ocean-lightwater-foam-beach transitions to look at. Some of the textures he created to make those transitions work are fantastic too.

Keep us up to date with how you are going.

Regards, Colin

Stephen W

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: tropical island golf course Reply with quote

Coming along nicely and I rather like the new name. Keep up the good work.

Shawnk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:51 am    Post subject: tropical island golf course Reply with quote

Thanks for the support, everybody!

I know for sure that I did not tick the "non-regulation holes" box. I was very diligent about making sure it was not checked when starting the course. It is sort of a fear of mine, I guess lol. Holes can be made longer if the hole boundry is created without auto shapes. The hole lengths were heavily inspired by Pilgrim Trails. I like the balance of challenge and variety the hole lengths present on that course.

The idea of making the cliffs lava rock intrigues me. I think I will do that. By doing that, however, I want to incorporate a volcano into the design. I figure the best way to incorporate the volcano would be to make holes 8 and 10-17 routed at a shallower angle relative to hole 18 and make holes 1-9 circumnavigate the volcano. I think this will make the course better.

I am familiar with Anakena Beach and I like that course and the textures. I should download it and play it again. If I can't create better textures myself, I'll use the textures from there.

I elevated a hole.

I widened the fairway and lowered the green on hole 7 to keep the hole from heavily penalizing good shots, to improve visability, and add strategic options.

Hole 17

Shawnk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: tropical island golf course Reply with quote

I decided to start over with a course that is more believable. This course is still technically a tropical island golf course, but it isn't set on it's own island and is set on the Caribbean Ocean instead of the Pacific Ocean. I decided on Caribbean Coast Golf Club for the name. I will work on all of the holes at once rather than one at a time.

Shawnk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:27 am    Post subject: tropical island golf course Reply with quote

I started over with a new course again shortly after quitting my previous attempt about a month ago. This course is set in the Pacific again, but this time it set is on a peninsula of an island rather than its own island. I named this course Island Point Golf Club. I have pretty much completed the elevations for the course. I haven't gotten this far on a course in years! I am ready to start mapping it.

guitarget

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: tropical island golf course Reply with quote

"I haven't gotten this far on a course in years!"

Trust me - you've made it a LOT further than many of us who tried the APCD. Laugh Clap

"Why waste good shots in practice when you might need them in a match?" - Walter Hagen
Shawnk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:32 am    Post subject: tropical island golf course Reply with quote

This is a different course than I was working on before. This one is also named Island Point Golf Club. I've been making steady progress on it. I'm ready to start attempting the panorama.

gowoods

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject: tropical island golf course Reply with quote

Shawnk wrote:
This is a different course than I was working on before. This one is also named Island Point Golf Club. I've been making steady progress on it. I'm ready to start attempting the panorama.

Daniel is the No:1 Pano Man if you get stuck or you need help, i'm sure he could be very helpful to you.

JWGriffinGCA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: tropical island golf course Reply with quote

Hey Shawn, I downloaded Island Point and took it for a spin today. Seemed fitting to have a nice tropical round on a nice spring day - seriously, it's snowing and windy outside my window and I'm going to have to go shovel the driveway in a bit... Mad I hate March in the Midwest.

Anyway, you've done a great job with this course. It is a blast to play. Lots of bold slopes in the fairway and greens, really fun to watch the ball run out, and you really have to think about where you place your shots because you have to allow for where it will bounce and roll. A number of massive elevation changes - tee it high and let it fly on a couple of them!

I like the look & feel - the textures and plantings really make it feel tropical. Overall the course reminded me of a cross between Pebble Beach and Kapalua Plantation. The splash screen is fun, and I liked the occasional chicken - I wouldn't even mind more chickens!

Maybe the only nit is that I think 17 is a bit extreme. I would have liked for the tees to have a bit more variation in yardage (to allow the option to play it shorter) or maybe just a bit more room around the green.

Well done, this is a solid course and plenty fun. Thumb Up

John

When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me! -Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz
Shawnk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:26 am    Post subject: tropical island golf course Reply with quote

Thanks JW!

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Preview Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Want to play Links again but lost your CDs? Buy Links 2003 download version here and support this site.