Please support Links Corner    

These damn Axis weapons don't work! - Sgt Sneaky Bastage AKA Axe R.I.P.
Southerness 2008 & 2011 View older topic :: View newer topic  

How do you rate Southerness 2008/2011 ?
Ace
48%
 48%  [ 36 ]
Eagle
45%
 45%  [ 34 ]
Birdie
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Par
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Bogey - Must be accompanied by an explanatory post!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 74

cougar24

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Southerness 2008 & 2011 Reply with quote

http://linkscorner.org/courses/course.php?crz=1849
http://linkscorner.org/courses/course.php?crz=1989 HD version

What do you think of Southerness 2008/2011 ?

Please vote in the poll.

After you vote, please leave a few comments or some feedback for the designer about his course and why you voted the way you did.

Last edited by cougar24 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nate Dogg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:49 am    Post subject: Southerness 2008 & 2011 Reply with quote

Quote:
Unlike many championship links courses which have narrow fairways and heavy rough , Southerness has quite generous fairways

I guess this is subjective, but I found the fairways anything but generous...I missed all but 3 of them...as a champ clicker, the slightest bit off the snap and I was in the heavy rough, even when choking down to 2 or 4 woods...

This is a beautiful recreation of a real Links course. The pano is excellent, as are the textures and planting. The course looks great. From an APCD standpoint, this is certainly right up there with Stewart's many other fantastic designs. Although it is arguably an Ace, I voted Eagle because I felt it was too much like target golf on every hole, hit it straight down a narrow fairway and fire at the green. Also a lot of blind tee shots. Not really the designer's fault, just the way the course is.

The greens were, in general, very well done, and challenging with realistic (and at times large) undulations, most of the pins should be playable with moderate to fast settings, although the pin on #8 (or maybe it was 7...the long par-3 on the front nine) was marginal, the slope was very severe and even on M/M I found my ball (on a relatively short birdie putt) taking off down the slope and 3-putted. Oh well. With the lack of much elevation change, the approaches aren't that tough if you can actually find the fairways. I did enjoy my round here, but found the difficulty of hitting the fairways a bit frustrating (as was hitting out of bounds off the tee on 13, I had no idea there was even OB there Wall Bash ). At least the course isn't overly long, but the narrow, often doglegging fairways surrounded by heavy rough and bushes, do make it interesting and more challenging.

Still this a very nice course and will be remaining on my hard drive for an occasional re-visit. Thanks for sharing your excellent work with us, Stewart. Thumb Up

Champ Classic, No Grid, Close-up, Top Cam Only

It takes a lot of balls to golf like I do!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ousgg
Links Corner Staff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Southerness 2008 & 2011 Reply with quote

It drew a solid Ace from me.

I felt the planting was superb, bang on the money. Textures were stretched on one or two occasions, but nothing to detract from the course visuals as a whole. It's true the fairways aren't easy to hit, but I found the rough to be perfectly playable. The course isn't particularly long, but it isn't too easy and the links land is the real hazard, as it should be. And I love the purple heather: very distinctive and something to really remember the course by.

Right up there with Spey Valley as Stewart's best work.

~~If you're afraid that your full shot might reach the green while the foursome ahead of you is still putting, you have two options: you may immediately shank a lay-up, or you can wait until the green is clear and then top a ball halfway there.~~
big stewart

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Southerness 2008 & 2011 Reply with quote

Thanks men . All comments and suggestions always welcome.

Stewart . Location Cumbernauld . North Lanarkshire . Scotland.
grandpabruce

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Southerness 2008 & 2011 Reply with quote

Nate Dogg wrote:
Quote:
Unlike many championship links courses which have narrow fairways and heavy rough , Southerness has quite generous fairways

I guess this is subjective, but I found the fairways anything but generous...I missed all but 3 of them...as a champ clicker, the slightest bit off the snap and I was in the heavy rough, even when choking down to 2 or 4 woods...

This is a beautiful recreation of a real Links course. The pano is excellent, as are the textures and planting. The course looks great. From an APCD standpoint, this is certainly right up there with Stewart's many other fantastic designs. Although it is arguably an Ace, I voted Eagle because I felt it was too much like target golf on every hole, hit it straight down a narrow fairway and fire at the green. Also a lot of blind tee shots. Not really the designer's fault, just the way the course is.

The greens were, in general, very well done, and challenging with realistic (and at times large) undulations, most of the pins should be playable with moderate to fast settings, although the pin on #8 (or maybe it was 7...the long par-3 on the front nine) was marginal, the slope was very severe and even on M/M I found my ball (on a relatively short birdie putt) taking off down the slope and 3-putted. Oh well. With the lack of much elevation change, the approaches aren't that tough if you can actually find the fairways. I did enjoy my round here, but found the difficulty of hitting the fairways a bit frustrating (as was hitting out of bounds off the tee on 13, I had no idea there was even OB there Wall Bash ). At least the course isn't overly long, but the narrow, often doglegging fairways surrounded by heavy rough and bushes, do make it interesting and more challenging.

Still this a very nice course and will be remaining on my hard drive for an occasional re-visit. Thanks for sharing your excellent work with us, Stewart. Thumb Up

I agree with Nate Dogg. The course is beautiful looking, but in PS, it plays poorly.

The readme file, that came with the course, is not quite accurate. The fairways are not generous at all, and if you miss one, it is almost impossible to salvage a par. That isn't necessarily bad, but it just isn't a course I will play in PS, again.

I may give it a go, in click, because it truly is beautiful looking.

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971
big stewart

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Southerness 2008 & 2011 Reply with quote

Thank you for your comments as always , keep them coming they always help with future courses

Sorry men I should have written. As fairways on championship links courses go , the fairways at Southerness are wider than you would normaly expect. Whistle

In real life if you miss a fairway you will indeed struggle to make a par as you normally won't find your ball. Thats why links course are so much "FUN" Laugh Laugh Laugh

This does not mean they are wide and generous. I have played Southerness in the wind with a decent golfer who lost at least a ball a hole (poor man bought a hook with him)ran out of balls at the 16th. He kept hooking them off the tee until his bag was empty. I did offer him some of mine but for some reason he chose to walk to the bar. Laugh

I await the addition to links that when you go into heavy rough the game pauses for 5 minutes and a message comes on screen " looking for ball in waist high rough" after 5 minutes it says lost ball and takes you back to your previous shot with a 2 shot penalty. Devil You would of course need a virtual club to throw and a swear box. Surrender

Have fun men

Sisyphus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Southerness 2008 & 2011 Reply with quote

A lovely creation. Thanks to Stewart and his trusty team.

As your basic pro click occasional player I didn't find it to be particularly difficult. Unlike my real life experience the deep grass, gourse and heather is playable. My real life experience is that the hard part is finding my ball. Fortunately Links does that for me.

But one benefit of hitting it in the deep stuff is pausing to admire the beauty all around.

Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?

T.S. Eliot (Choruses from "The Rock)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cuz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Southerness 2008 & 2011 Reply with quote

Great course Stewart. As a pro clicker just played a round Gusty Firm Slow. A great challenge to score a par round for me.

Colin Rommel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Southerness 2008 & 2011 Reply with quote

Sisyphus wrote:
... My real life experience is that the hard part is finding my ball. Fortunately Links does that for me ...

Unless you play Kapalua Plantation (APCD version.) Even Links won't find your ball if you go too far off the fairways in that. Wink

As for Southerness - excellent job Stewart and well up to your usual standard. Cheers!

Ace.

Lady Nancy Astor: "Winston, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea."
Churchill: "Nancy, if you were my wife, I'd drink it."
jurgie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Southerness 2008 & 2011 Reply with quote

I had to vote "ACE" on this course without hesitation. Not only is the course brilliantly laid out and all the textures first rate; what realy sold this course for me was the Ocean Pano. This is one of few courses where the ocean is virtually free of graphic glitches that plague many custom designs where ocean panos are employed.

Tim Kirk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Southerness 2008 & 2011 Reply with quote

Having played this course IRL ,I wont hesitate to vote ACE.
Stew has recreated the feeling of "Big Sky" perfectly and the backdrop of the hills also looks spot on. The day i played at Southerness It was perfect conditions , not a breath of wind , warm and sunny, the place is so tranquil and scenery so vast that it is testimony to Stewarts design that the memories come back so easily .

Tim

I'd like to see the fairways more narrow. Then everyone would have to play from the rough, not just me. ... Seve Ballesteros

Seve Ballesteros - "I look into their eyes, shake their hand, pat their back, and wish them luck, but I am thinking, 'I am going to bury you."
Andy
Links Corner Admin
Links Corner Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Southerness 2008 & 2011 Reply with quote

This poll now also applies to the recently released HD version of this course.

http://linkscorner.org/courses/course.php?crz=1989

broomer

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Southerness 2008 & 2011 Reply with quote

Andy wrote:

I LOVE this course

Southerness was the 2nd LINKS *Real* Scottish course I D/L'd after Stewart's Turnberry masterpiece

it was my 1st introduction to those "strange yellow bushes" and beautiful, bountiful purple heather you people have to snaggle-up wayward shots over there Smile

as a previous poster mentioned, the "Big Sky" and hillside backdrop of this Scottish seaside venue makes for a wonderful setting masterfully rendered by Stewart

an Ace in my book Thumb Up

Jerry Garlisch
Course Manager

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:53 am    Post subject: Southerness 2008 & 2011 Reply with quote

Andy wrote:

I bet the Ace vote will be slowly overtaking the Eagle vote. Laugh

I know I helped.
Jerry

God grant me the SERENITY to accept the shots I miss, the COURAGE to never give up and the WISDOM not to throw away my clubs in the water.

KISS Tours www.kisstours.com

Links Corner Course Manager
Alexis Purvisi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:23 pm    Post subject: Southerness 2008 & 2011 Reply with quote

Stewart's Southerness has become my "home" course in Links: I like it that much. It is all so beautiful, with that rare _je ne sais quoi_ that really puts you there and forces you to return time after time.

vote: Ace.

big stewart

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Southerness 2008 & 2011 Reply with quote

Thanks Alexis. I played there in real life about 2 weeks ago and nothing much has changed although the trees down the right of the first have gone

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Course Polls & User Reviews All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Golfer: Well, I have never played this badly before! Caddy: I didn't realize you had played before, sir.