Please support Links Corner    

By the time a man can afford to lose a golf ball, he can't hit it that far. ~ Lewis Grizzard
LInks won't load new course -Mountain View View older topic :: View newer topic  
Ian wells

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: LInks won't load new course -Mountain View Reply with quote

I am (trying) to build a new course - Mountain View.
After hole 6 was completed I validated and saved the course before opening the course in Links 2003. I took some screen shots to add to the ongoing course topic in Course Corner.
Since then I have been building hole 7 (and part of hole 8). After completing hole 7 I successfully validated and saved. I added to Links 2003 but after trying to play the course Links 2003 crashes. (I can play courses that are exist in the library).
I assumed that my build in APCD course was at fault and went back to older revisions of the hole 7 build and after validating each revision I tried to add to Links 2003, but with the same result.

As a final attempt I returned to the Hole 6 revision that I had used for the screen shots, validated, saved and added to Links 2003, however this also crashed.

Normally I would reload my APCD and Links 2003 from my original discs and retry, however they are at home and I am on vacation, and will be until 18 February.

I therfore have two questions:

a) Is there anybody who can help me with this problem?

b) is it possible to download APCD and Links 2003 online? (I will pay the $6.99. As I am living in Mexico sending by post is not an option - I will be home before the discs would arrive.)

Thanks for any help.

JWGriffinGCA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:17 am    Post subject: LInks won't load new course -Mountain View Reply with quote

Ian -

Sorry to hear about your crashing... (but jealous of a lengthy vacation in Mexico!)

APCD 1.5 is available for free download here.
https://www.linkscountryclub.com/arnold-palmer-course-designer

See the linkscorner.org homepage for links to download Links2003 ($6.99) and the various patches (free).

With respect to a cause for your crash, are you working from an aerial image of the real course that is used as a texture in APCD? If so, is it higher resolution than 1024x1024? APCD can handle higher-res textures than that (I think up to 4096x4096), but Links cannot (it will crash). Maybe you inadvertently had a higher-res texture get added and forgot to remove it?

At what point does Links crash? As soon as it renders the first tee, or when you hit your first shot, or on a specific hole?

It does seem odd that you reverted to earlier versions of the course that previously worked fine, and now those crash.

You haven't reinstalled Links recently and forgotten to install all the patches after it? In other words, are you running Links v1.07?

Maybe rename your user.lib file (to keep a copy of it), and then reopen your course in APCD so it regenerates a new user.lib, and try doing a V&S (with a different .crz filename - don't overwrite anything!) and see if that resolves the crashes.

John

When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me! -Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz
Ian wells

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: LInks won't load new course -Mountain View Reply with quote

JWGriffinGCA wrote:
Ian -

Sorry to hear about your crashing... (but jealous of a lengthy vacation in Mexico!)

APCD 1.5 is available for free download here.
https://www.linkscountryclub.com/arnold-palmer-course-designer

See the linkscorner.org homepage for links to download Links2003 ($6.99) and the various patches (free).

With respect to a cause for your crash, are you working from an aerial image of the real course that is used as a texture in APCD? If so, is it higher resolution than 1024x1024? APCD can handle higher-res textures than that (I think up to 4096x4096), but Links cannot (it will crash). Maybe you inadvertently had a higher-res texture get added and forgot to remove it?

At what point does Links crash? As soon as it renders the first tee, or when you hit your first shot, or on a specific hole?

It does seem odd that you reverted to earlier versions of the course that previously worked fine, and now those crash.

You haven't reinstalled Links recently and forgotten to install all the patches after it? In other words, are you running Links v1.07?

Maybe rename your user.lib file (to keep a copy of it), and then reopen your course in APCD so it regenerates a new user.lib, and try doing a V&S (with a different .crz filename - don't overwrite anything!) and see if that resolves the crashes.

John

John,

Thanks for your reply and all your suggestions.

I tried the easy one first by renaming the user.lib file, with no improvement.
I next downloaded a new copy of APCD from the link you provided, renamed the very last revision of the new hole 7, saved and validated. Opened the course in Links 2003 and to my immense relief the course loaded and I was able to play the first seven holes. (More work required!)

(For your information Links 2003 crashed as it began loading the course for the game.)

Thanks to your help you have prolonged the build of this course as I certainly had no enthusiasm to begin again.

Once again my sincerest thanks, I hope the final course will be worth it.

Ian

JWGriffinGCA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:21 am    Post subject: LInks won't load new course -Mountain View Reply with quote

Ian, I'm glad one of those suggestions worked. Working with APCD is challenging enough without quirky issues like this popping up to add more stress!

The screenshots of the course in your preview thread look great. Keep up the good work!

Thumb Up

John

When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me! -Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz
View older topic :: View newer topic  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Want to play Links again but lost your CDs? Buy Links 2003 download version here and support this site.