Please support Links Corner    

Dear God, is it true my father won't get in Heaven if he uses his golf words in the house? -Anita, age 7
Help.......game won't load/start View older topic :: View newer topic  
Mr Mulligan

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Help.......game won't load/start Reply with quote

Unsure
After a recent "update" from Microsoft, I tried
playing a game, but got the following error

The start up screen (course conditions) has
no method of play (just a star/asterisk at top
where the method of play is indicated) and
the option for putting or no putting allowed on
green is empty/blacked out.

My OS is Vista, and video card is
Nvidia GeForce 8600

I "thought" I read a thread quite a long time ago
that someone had an issue similar to this and
was suggested to uninstall & reinstall the video
card. I don't recall if that fixed it or not. If that's
the solution vs. uninstalling & reinstalling Links,
I'm all for it!

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Mr Mulligan (Keep it in the SHORT STUFF!)
Armand

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: Help.......game won't load/start Reply with quote

This is typical of a patch (or the Pro Distance mod) installed in the wrong directory. When you install such patches, ensure the path that comes up is where Links is installed. It often helps to run the patches with elevated administrative privileges (right-click the exe or shortcut and choose "run as administrator" on the Properties \ compatibility tab), but you still need to be sure the path to Links is correct.

I'm not sure how much I'll visit in 2016, as Perfect Golf is the only golf game I'm playing on the computer....
Mr Mulligan

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Help.......game won't load/start Reply with quote

Armand wrote:
This is typical of a patch (or the Pro Distance mod) installed in the wrong directory. When you install such patches, ensure the path that comes up is where Links is installed. It often helps to run the patches with elevated administrative privileges (right-click the exe or shortcut and choose "run as administrator" on the Properties \ compatibility tab), but you still need to be sure the path to Links is correct.

Unsure
Thanks for the tip Armand, and I "hope" that is the problem.
But......for the last "few" years, I have been able to play with
zero problems. I installed all the mods & patches in the order
they were released. In the past, I have had to make minor tweaks
after some Microsoft updates, but this latest one was a killer.
(Note: Also, under "course conditions" the "challenging" conditions
are no longer available)

If your (Armand's) tip doesn't work, can I just uninstall & reinstall
1.02, 1.05, & 1.07 or should I just start from scratch? (Links &
all of the patches/mods?)

Armand

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:11 am    Post subject: Help.......game won't load/start Reply with quote

If you're not seeing the challenging conditions, then v1.07 was not installed properly. I'm 99.9% sure that re-installing the patches with administrative privileges (and ensuring the path is correct when the patches install) will resolve your issue.

If that fails for some reason, you don't even really need to uninstall. Just re-install 1.07 again (and the nVidia/Win7 fix), over what is already there. I strongly recommend you do so using Administrative privileges to ensure you can write to the \Program Files directory.

What follows is probably mostly Puke
(you can stop reading here if you like, the rest is a bit of a rant/explanation of how I think we ended up where we're at with Windows security) .....

MS decided that it would be best not to allow normal computer users to access to the \Program Files and \Windows directory on a computer, since these are places where system and application files are stored. Should a normal use mess these files up, it resulted in users bad-mouthing MS and Windows. In a way, that's good that random malware and other things aren't able (theoretically) to mess up your computer system. To allow legitimate programs write access during installation, the User Account Control (UAC) came to being so that a normal user could decide whether to permit a program from writing files into those "sensitive" directories. Most normal users weren't that knowledgeable and reading all the licence agreements and other crap you have to go through when installing a program is a nuisance, so they just click yes, yes, yes, accept, install, yes and away it went. To combat this, MS included an Administrator account that was supposed to be used by advanced users or actual administrators. However, since the typical user was so limited in what they could access or where they could write files, most people simply used the administrator account (think WinXP here).

So, MS figured there has to be a better way to protect normal users and normal administrators from themselves, so they decided to create a phantom location for \Program Files, which is in a hidden folder called the \VirutalStore. They also decided to write a whole bunch of other files there, so the sensitive directories weren't damaged. This is all fine and good for software written with Win Vista and up, but all those other wonderful programs for XP (like Links) often have no idea a \VirtualStore exists. So, when Win7 decides that you, normal user or normal administrator, wants to update a file in a "sensitive" directory, it protects you by not actually writing it there, but writing the file to the \VirtualStore. It would have been great had MS decided at least to let users know this is what was happening, but that would have been too much techno-babble that the normal user and possibly a normal administrator would have simply dismissed. Now, the work-around to be able to access folders and write files into "sensitive" directories can only be done by elevated administrators.

You can disable the \VirtualStore shenanigans by disabling the UAC (and again, there is a little bit of merit to that, although it is more often a nuisance than a help) or you can run every installation/patch with ELEVATED ADMINISTRATIVE PRIVILEGES. That sounds highly technical, but really, you just right click on the programs and choose "Run as Administrator" or you right-click the file or shortcut and change the compatibility tab option to run it as an administrator. Either way, you achieve the end result in allowing that normal user or normal administrator to write files in the "sensitive" folders.

So, when normal users or normal administrators under Win Vista, Win 7, Win 8, Win 8.1 or Win 10 don't install the patches as elevated adminstrators, the files are written to the \VirtualStore and Links, being an older program written with Win 98/2000/XP in mind, cannot access files that were saved in the \VirtualStore. It expects them to be in \Program Files, but they are not.

Anyway, most everyone doesn't care about the above; I probably should have just vented and then deleted it! But after so much went into it, I figured I'd leave it. Tongue If you've read it, congratulations! Maybe someone will reference this post to help others understand or maybe someone will learn something about the \VirtualStore and elevated administrator privileges.
Sleep

I'm not sure how much I'll visit in 2016, as Perfect Golf is the only golf game I'm playing on the computer....
Mr Mulligan

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Help.......game won't load/start Reply with quote

Smile
Thanks for the advice Armand,,,,,I will give it a try
later tonight.

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Members Tech Forums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Is my good friend in the rough, or is the b*&#*$d on the green? - James Bond