Please support Links Corner    

Your best shots in golf are your practice swing and the conceded putts. You'll never master the rest! - Lord Robertson
Working From AutoCAD maps View older topic :: View newer topic  
Ahernejd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:21 am    Post subject: Working From AutoCAD maps Reply with quote

Hopefully this might be of help for anybody wishing to work from an AutoCAD Map.

Any who does have access to AutoCAD maps will have no doubt found them very hard to work from, I know I have! – sometimes there’s just too much information and most of it is junk as far as the APCD is concerned, the APCD does not need to no where sprinklers and underground water pipes are located.

This picture shows a typical map, im sure you’ll agree it would be a nightmare to follow in the APCD.

So how do you make this map into a user friendly one? Well other than buying the AutoCAD 2004 program ($2000) you will not be able to edit it.

After some searches I’ve found a freeware program called DWG Viewer, this 9.5Mb program can be found at http://www.newfreeware.com/utils/265/ And is perfect for trimming the maps down to what we need for the APCD.

Once you have opened your .dwg/.dwf or .dxf file you can choose which items, fairways etc you wish to display. Choose “VIEW” and “DRAWING LAYERS”

This will open this dialog box, where you can check or uncheck the features you want

You can have contours only

Or you can have hole layouts only

From here using screen grabs and merging in Photoshop I made a 2 separate jpegs of the whole course. One is the course layout with all the trees fairways bunkers etc, the other is the same course at the same zoom level but just of the course boundary and all contour lines.

Once the pictures where completed I split each of them up into ten 1024 x 1024 Tga’s.

Next onto the APCD, after creating a new plot with a square mesh I insert the new textures created from layout picture. Once the course is created I work out the scale and create a new planar and add it to the textures. Make sure the distances are correct, this is the only real chance you will get to alter them. Then save it as something like “Layout Master”

So now we have the correct layout but no elevation info. Now its time for the Tga’s created from the “contour only” map we created earlier. Using the corresponding textures and the same mapping replace each “layout” texture with the “contour” textures, if the maps were put together correctly these new “contour” textures should snap together. Then save as “Contour Master”. This is the file where we will start all our elevation work.

Using the terrain painter we can now insert verts along each contour line, once all the contours are “painted” delete any stray verts not on a contour line, then it’s onto raising the verts to match the real life heights. As there is only contour lines on this plot it is far far easier to work with.

IN ORDER FOR THIS TO WORK IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT WHEN YOU ARE INSERTING NEW VERTS THAT YOU DO NOT ALTER THE SHAPE OF THE EDGES OF EACH TEXTURE – i.e. ALL THE ORIGINAL BLUE LINES DEFINFING EACH TEXTURE EDGE SHOULD REMAIN THE SAME ALL THE WAY THROUGH ELEVATION PROCESS.

Once all the elevation work has been done we will now replace all the “contour” textures with the “layout” textures. Again these should still snap into place as we are still using the same mapping.

Now we have a an accurately elevated plot showing only the hole layouts, rivers, trees etc.

If your map has spot height info for the greens, you can then create a new texture for each green, using the same steps as before take a screen grab of the green area

Then save it as a 512 texture with the apropriate green number, go into the apcd, then area select the green and insert the new texture, using a new planar mapping, rotate and scale the texture so the outline of the green matches, once that is done you can paint verts on to the spot heights and elevate them.

You now have an accuately elevated green

John Aherne [/img]

Last edited by Ahernejd on Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Moebius

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:51 pm    Post subject: Working From AutoCAD maps Reply with quote

Gr8 Info....Thanks for sharing it with us!! Clap

Where do you find DWG,DWF and DXF files to use with this great little program?? Another words where do I find maps of Golf Courses say in "Canton Ohio"??

Ahernejd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:05 pm    Post subject: Working From AutoCAD maps Reply with quote

Mike

for the two courses im working on Hollystown & Portmarnock I went direct to the course manager told him about te apcd and asked for the maps. And i got them.

Maybe i was lucky i Dunno

john

mike28md

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 10:06 pm    Post subject: What about DEM? Reply with quote

I am a Civil Engineer using Autocad with Land Development Desktop 3. LDDT3, cad read DEM (digital elevation models), and so can APCD. I have figured out how to export them from CAD, but when I bring them into APCD, they dont work. Probably because the file size is too big.

Anyone else out there experimenting with this?

* DEM files are usually produced by US geological survey.

WWW.usgs.gov

Thanks,
Mike

Punk

NiklasO

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 10:49 pm    Post subject: Working From AutoCAD maps Reply with quote

You can try to open up your file in 3DEM and then crop it to a smaller size.
Then you'll know if it's the file size causing the problems.
A while back I did a program that converts Terragen files to DEM. In the beginning I had a few errors in the file format. 3DEM successfully opened the file anyway, however APCD crashed. So there's another possibility; if the export from your CAD program is not absolutely correct, APCD won't accept it. If your file opens in 3DEM, you can save it under another name. 3DEM will correct possible errors in the original file and the import in APCD might work.

mike28md

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice! I'll give it a shot.

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Tutorials Corner All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Want to play Links again but lost your CDs? Buy Links 2003 download version here and support this site.